Surviving Lightsabers in the Lucasfilm Archives

Two ROTS Vader sabers, with different endcaps... why? It wasn't even in the movie.

Also, is that THE DV6/Faux ROTJ Vader hero or a recreation? I looks pretty clean, but if it was a recreation I wouldn't expect the parts to be on point since recreating Vader's saber gave us all sorts of variants.

These are (blurry) screen caps from a featurette in which there is a tour of the LFL archives and you can see the remaining lightsabers ;)
The hell is that funky looking lightsaber with the red blade? Kinda looks like it's supposed to be a fan made custom that's Ranch saber inspired.

It could also be the MR As First Built By

Pardon my crappy camera phone photo. It's late, but thankfully this was within easy reach.
20171210_232721.jpg

Well, maybe not. The upper neck looks different.

It could also be the MR As First Built By

Pardon my crappy camera phone photo. It's late, but thankfully this was within easy reach.

Well, maybe not. The upper neck looks different.

Chris is correct, it's the Icons version. It has some noticeable differences compared to the Master Replicas version, such as the inner emitter, no pin in the clamp, handwheel shape, etc. In addition, the Icons version was released in 98-ish, around the same time as the Visual Dictionary; the MR version wasn't offered for another five years or so.

Almost forgot, there is a guy in the movie props group on FB who claims he as a screen used hero ANH Obi-Wan lightsaber, but I doubt he really does. He was one of the guys defending the guy that had the fake ESB Luke saber supposedly used in promo photos.

Almost forgot, there is a guy in the movie props group on FB who claims he as a screen used hero ANH Obi-Wan lightsaber, but I doubt he really does. He was one of the guys defending the guy that had the fake ESB Luke saber supposedly used in promo photos.

I'd love to see a picture of that Obi, so we can mock it unmercifully...I mean, objectively analyze it.

In a later post, he said it was that cast prop that was also used in ESB as a background tool.

I believe the owner is a member here; I remember them posting about it here on the forum, but can't seem to find the thread or posts now.

The Obi is resin and does not resemble anything used by production.

Attachments

• 998CBDD0-222F-4AED-829C-C1691BA79C95.jpeg
    998CBDD0-222F-4AED-829C-C1691BA79C95.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 276
If I spent an ungodly amount of money on a prop and found out I'd been duped, I'd argue pretty hard that I hadn't so as not to look like a total knob...

The Obi is resin and does not resemble anything used by production.

this looks like it was built with inaccurate Ep3 parts, and some other mismatched ones. Dang, I don't even know what they replaced the clamp side-bar with.

I can confirm that there is no original Obi saber in the Archive building. Unless its in one of the remaining unopened boxes still in storage then at this stage, its only the Icon's model that's on the saber shelf.

Interestingly, in the big Main House display cabinets - which house many original props - the Obi saber isn't original either. The one there is a weathered MR saber.

I can confirm that there is no original Obi saber in the Archive building. Unless its in one of the remaining unopened boxes still in storage then at this stage, its only the Icon's model that's on the saber shelf.

Interestingly, in the big Main House display cabinets - which house many original props - the Obi saber isn't original either. The one there is a weathered MR saber.

haha - did those old blades (recently found) come out of some of those unopened boxes?

I'm necro posting a bit to add some corrections to the record, for anyone new coming looking for info.

The Barbican saber we now know is the first attempt at a Vader ANH stunt saber. Ended up having to re-use Luke's, but it worked out in the end.
795bc804e294b6151dbb54c5e93e55e7.jpg

This was a picture in a magazine recently published. I was hoping it was the whole size of the page that way I could frame it. But it was tiny....

Anyway I took the pic to show that there was a tag with “bap 12/19” on it

Thought that was pretty cool

Halliwax, is this grenade all black? Do you know anything about B&W photos? I know blue shows up dark, red shows up lighter, etc. It ould explain the V2's paint scheme, and why only the upper (covered) part of Obi's saber is brass.

Also, the bottom ridge is not thick Anakin Starkiller I remember that thread about the tunisia saber....

These are (blurry) screen caps from a featurette in which there is a tour of the LFL archives and you can see the remaining lightsabers ;)

e15467d17513be1b8a95560db33b6dd3.jpg
7221ae449372f5759249f08c71541761.jpg
a9f6929fd96715d43c92bb6c62603bea.jpg
4c2e876b7ef39423c83ac0f1906493b5.jpg
8cc17d21d76bab075b3867d9d99f8460.jpg

Wanted to note that there's a copy of the Energizer saber there, behind the Barbican and the Icons Obi Wan. (If the original is still with Don Bies it's a copy). The emitter is put on sideways, that black dot facing us was in the front of the saber, so the black top must be rotated 90˚. Maybe it fell off, like when AL ROKER FLUNG THE FLASH HIDER OFF THE HOTH BLASTER IN 09.. Whew...

Anyway.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back