Surviving Lightsabers in the Lucasfilm Archives

I read somewhere that for the 2015 release of Star Wars Battlefront they were going to be scanning in props and costumes into the game for more authenticity. Looks like they got a hold of the Luke’s V2https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171202/4b81a2b4523648a6387d070ae786cc3b.jpeghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171202/224ef1df1d531ec5cb9d8ff03f67131e.jpeghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171202/0acb64b43364dce3f68b4ff0d8978a42.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171202/872f51c6ad92ead2f776308928b20875.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m very interested in the accuracy of the scans if that’s true. That little mystery greeblie near the cone knob is round and slotted in this rendering.

I can’t remember or find quickly enough to see all the pictures Brandon shared of the real prop to see if that detail was ever clearly shown, but I know that little piece on my SH V2 is square.

I’m very interested in the accuracy of the scans if that’s true. That little mystery greeblie near the cone knob is round and slotted in this rendering.

I can’t remember or find quickly enough to see all the pictures Brandon shared of the real prop to see if that detail was ever clearly shown, but I know that little piece on my SH V2 is square.

I'd be shocked if Brandon allowed anyone to scan that prop. This looks to be based on the MR V2. The round flat head screw beneath the cone knob is a giveaway.

And speaking of, was the V3 only ever used as a fighting stunt? It was never a belt hanger at all correct?

The V3 was a fighting stunt, never a belt hanger, but it also appears in this ROTJ production photo, even though in the final film it's the V2 that Vader is holding in this scene. (Apart from the closeup of it in his hands of course, which was a pick up shot added later using the 'Hero' prop.)

luke captive v3.jpg
LukeV2BluRay03.jpg
isyhcanl03.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if Brandon allowed anyone to scan that prop. This looks to be based on the MR V2. The round flat head screw beneath the cone knob is a giveaway.

Yeah I thought it was odd that if they were scanning in things from the archive, that they’d end up having the V2 scanned as well. But having said that, it’s an interesting choice to go with that hilt over the Hero or something.

I found this pic from when they released Hoth Luke. Graflex only has one button it looks like. Maybe they got the Ranch Saber.

IMG_1323.JPG

As for obi wan’s hero. Im in the “disabled and returned” camp

They have a modified master replica obiwan ANH saber on display with the archive sabers at many celebrations

I think if they had the real hero in the archives still they would have it on display beside the remaining graflex (ranch saber).

Sure would love to know the true story behind obiwan’s ANH hero

Maybe one day?

I agree on the Obi Wan hero. Very likely that the grenade and the booster came from Bapty, and would have been returned later.

As for obi wan’s hero. Im in the “disabled and returned” camp

They have a modified master replica obiwan ANH saber on display with the archive sabers at many celebrations

I think if they had the real hero in the archives still they would have it on display beside the remaining graflex (ranch saber).

Sure would love to know the true story behind obiwan’s ANH hero

Maybe one day?

I agree on the Obi Wan hero. Very likely that the grenade and the booster came from Bapty, and would have been returned later.

So a lot of the stuff from the original film was rented as well? I heard they didn’t keep a lot of things from Star Wars because that wasn’t common practice, and the things they did keep just weren’t stored well. I assumed things just got thrown away, like the Death Star model, or stolen, but I didn’t know like the blasters and things had to be returned because they were rented. That makes sense though because of the budget and everything. It’s not like today where everyone wants know about all this stuff.

Were the camera flashes Roger Christian used to make Luke’s and Vader’s Lightsabers rented or purchased?

I tried to get a shot of him with the saber. But telling a cat to "stay" doesn't work.
Pardon the mess

View attachment 777470

I very much much enjoy my MR pieces. But I'm more proud of the sabers I've put together & built since joining the RPF. I have MANY of you to thank for it!

I'm no expert here but I'm sure the cat is not screen used at all.
The screen used moggie had a glass eye :)

My assumption wasn’t that Brandon let them scan his item, rather that if they had access to the props, they may also have had access to other photos or resources not publicly available. Either way, seems that piece being round is wrong regardless.

I suspect they were purchased, based on Christian's story of him searching and searching for the right object, and then finding a box of flashes in a camera shop.

I think since Obi-Wan’s was mostly birthed from the scrap they bought for Tunisia that after production a lot of that scrab was resold to make some money back given they were over budget. I’m sure some pieces got saved. I wouldn’t be surprised if at least some Graflex parts ended up in the pile that was scrounged up for ESB.

I don't know. I think it's sitting somewhere in someone's collection. Like that French dude who had the original Vader helmet. Or in a forgotten storage shed somewhere.

I can assure you that the V2 you see in Battlefront 2015 isn't a scan of the screen used prop owned by Brandon Alinger. There are too many differences,there is a hole in the emitter that shouldn't be where it is, same thing for the flat part of the pommel. Yes there is the cone knob, but the mystery chunk isn't a screw ;)
Also the graflex clamp is missing a side bar ;) which isn't the case of SWBF model ;)
It looks more like a MR to me... Maybe I'm wrong about that

Awesome photos! Which featurette was this? Would love to check it out.

Also, what is this? I know everyone just got done saying the Obi Wan was dismantled and returned but kinda looks like at least one doesn’t it? I guess it could be one of the stunts. I admit I still get a tad confused with those. From another angle the emitter/balance pipe looks different too but I think it does have the ANH bubble strip. Someone set me straight on this please. [emoji3]
3d8312ff58c14b975e0428d312ac2bd0.jpg

Awesome photos! Which featurette was this? Would love to check it out.

Also, what is this? I know everyone just got done saying the Obi Wan was dismantled and returned but kinda looks like at least one doesn’t it? I guess it could be one of the stunts. I admit I still get a tad confused with those. From another angle the emitter/balance pipe looks different too but I think it does have the ANH bubble strip. Someone set me straight on this please. [emoji3] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171210/3d8312ff58c14b975e0428d312ac2bd0.jpg

When you look at the fifth picture, you can see that the emitter is in clear/clean aluminum ... Don't think that this is one from 77. It might be a concept/stunt saber for ROTS, but I think we'll get the answer with the help of the others ;)

On YouTube, the featurette is named " Star Wars Archives Fly-Through Featurette" enjoy ;)

When you look at the fifth picture, you can see that the emitter is in clear/clean aluminum ... Don't think that this is one from 77. It might be a concept/stunt saber for ROTS, but I think we'll get the answer with the help of the others ;)

On YouTube, the featurette is named " Star Wars Archives Fly-Through Featurette" enjoy ;)

That is the replica that they use on display at celebration with the rest of the screen used Props.

3689145-192193.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back