Surviving Lightsabers in the Lucasfilm Archives

odd looking hilt. Looks too shaped to be machined. Is this made from found parts. To me, it kind of looks like a big fishing lure

probably sculpted, cast in aluminum and then clean dup by hand. i thought the same thing when he brought it over, trying to figure out its construction. figured its cast in metal and cleaned by hand. its very very heavy, and i mean romans ANH obi wan heavy! i was afraid to touch it because it leaves fingerprints everywhere

That' pretty heavy. Does anyone have background info on this? The reason I went went a lure is because it looks like an eye on the top near the emitter. Also, the emitter looks like a cap sitting on the hilt section. The rear has the screw looking part that could have been where the hooks attached

look at the top under the emitter. it looks rounded.

Palpatine's lightsaber from RotS?

As far as I know, it was like all the other hilts made for production and was a custom piece the prop department made. The two button "eyes" on the hilt are LED's and the other bits and bobs on it are probably either custom machined or sourced someplace. Considering that Palpatine was only given a lightsaber quite literally at the last minute, I would presume much of the original construction was first sculpted (likely in 3D and then printed), cleaned up and given a custom paint scheme. I don't know if it was made in metal, I presume not, as many of the other PT sabers, especially in the later movies, were actually plastic/rubber and chromed (in a bonus feature on the DVD's, one the prop guys remarks how incredible the technology has come for them to chrome rubber) but that's not to say it may not contain some metal parts.

Between the two of his lightsabers, I much prefer the one he fights/uses with Yoda.

Palpy_saber24.jpg

As far as I know, it was like all the other hilts made for production and was a custom piece the prop department made. The two button "eyes" on the hilt are LED's and the other bits and bobs on it are probably either custom machined or sourced someplace. Considering that Palpatine was only given a lightsaber quite literally at the last minute, I would presume much of the original construction was first sculpted (likely in 3D and then printed), cleaned up and given a custom paint scheme. I don't know if it was made in metal, I presume not, as many of the other PT sabers, especially in the later movies, were actually plastic/rubber and chromed (in a bonus feature on the DVD's, one the prop guys remarks how incredible the technology has come for them to chrome rubber) but that's not to say it may not contain some metal parts.

Between the two of his lightsabers, I much prefer the one he fights/uses with Yoda.

View attachment 777460

I wholeheartedly agree. :thumbsup
What can I say, when I got my MR, I was much younger, didn't know anything, & had a new credit card. :lol

surprising in weight isn't it!?! i guess the cat wasn't down for a photo lol your very lucky to own one, that is a beautiful piece!

I tried to get a shot of him with the saber. But telling a cat to "stay" doesn't work.
Pardon the mess

IMG_0956.JPG

I very much much enjoy my MR pieces. But I'm more proud of the sabers I've put together & built since joining the RPF. I have MANY of you to thank for it!

Dern it! I was digging through old photos, looking for my photos of MOM Tour I went to back in the 90's. I was looking for close-ups of the sabers they had on display. But they're mostly wide shots :angry! God, what an idiot I was! I know they had the Barbican on display, & I think I read somewhere that the one inside the Luke costume display was the reveal lightsaber (just that nobody knew). They also had the one that Halliwax has a beautiful shot of in post #32.

I read somewhere that for the 2015 release of Star Wars Battlefront they were going to be scanning in props and costumes into the game for more authenticity. Looks like they got a hold of the Luke’s V2
4b81a2b4523648a6387d070ae786cc3b.jpeg
224ef1df1d531ec5cb9d8ff03f67131e.jpeg
0acb64b43364dce3f68b4ff0d8978a42.jpg
872f51c6ad92ead2f776308928b20875.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like they used it for Battlefront 2 as well, but I can’t find a good screen shot online at the moment.

View attachment 777460
I'm pretty certain it was made from scratch just like the rest of the prequels sabers. They are all over the place as far as designs go. The only saber I know of made from found parts would be yoda's saber. However it isn't far fetched sidious could have had a found parts build. Unlikely I'm sure . But it still looks like a lure to me. :lol

I feel like they used it for Battlefront 2 as well, but I can’t find a good screen shot online at the moment.

Sure does look the same, love that scene with Luke picking it up

With that kind of attention to detail, I will literally pee my pants if Luke whips this out in TLJ

This is based on recall from a month or so ago but I’ll do my best

Prequels - pretty ouch all the sabers. Hero and Stunt.

OT -
Luke ESB Hero
Luke ROTJ Hero
Luke ROTJ Stunt

Vader -
Several (5?) ROTJ Stunt

Does anyone know what happened to the Hero ANH Obi-Wan saber? I know the stunts become stunts for Jedi.

And speaking of, was the V3 only ever used as a fighting stunt? It was never a belt hanger at all correct?

Does anyone know what happened to the Hero ANH Obi-Wan saber? I know the stunts become stunts for Jedi.

And speaking of, was the V3 only ever used as a fighting stunt? It was never a belt hanger .

V3 was never a hanger. O I-Wan’s hero’s were seemingly disassembled. Depending on who you ask the one in the Chronicles book was either rebuilt or saved. Either way, the ANH hero has never been seen again outside of production.

V3 was never a hanger. O I-Wan’s hero’s were seemingly disassembled. Depending on who you ask the one in the Chronicles book was either rebuilt or saved. Either way, the ANH hero has never been seen again outside of production.

Thank you!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back