Glowing Plants from Avatar - Halp!

CrossRhoda

Hello all,

I'm embarking on a project to recreate a number of the bioluminescent plants from the film Avatar, and I could seriously use some more expert brainstorming. I'm relatively crafty, so any and all suggestions are more than welcome. I'm guessing it'll need to be a combination of LEDs, UV paint/powder, and some fiber optics.

There are decent resources online about the plants themselves; the top left one for example is a succulent. So far I've tried a basic shape out of silicone caulk, and while the shape is alright, it's a far cry from that smooth and appealing little blue-green plant.

Pandora Plants.jpg

What I would do is go to a store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby buy a plant that’s close and cut or reshape the leaves, reattach the leaves, paint them, and while you are at the store get glow in the dark paint , Walmart has several different colors

Some of that glow in the dark paint is too bright and vibrant for some of those plants. You might need to tone it down. Experiment with some other materials you might find either at Michaels or around the house. A black light might bring out colours that may not be obvious in natural light.

TazMan2000

Glow Inc makes high quality glow in the dark (gitd) and fluorescent (blacklight/uv reactive) paints and powders if you want to mix your own. And you can find their stuff on Amazon as well.

glowinc.com

Most of those lighting effects should be doable. The biggest issue is probably the purple glow that shines so brightly it turns white. The bottom middle plant. Might need some kind of internal white lighting on that one.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back