Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    India
    Dec 1, 2017, 2:00 AM - Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #1

Dec 1, 2017, 8:51 AM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #2

Oh, Im all in. A modern take on the Creature from the Black Lagoon?
    From
    SoCal
    Dec 1, 2017, 6:36 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #3

Get to see this next Friday - looks gorgeous
  4. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Dec 1, 2017, 10:14 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #4

Honestly, the most excited I've been for a film this year. It looks, and I hope, a return to form for Guierllmo Del Toro. Can't wait to see this.
    From
    yuma AZ
    Dec 2, 2017, 1:35 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #5

So its not an Abe Sapien story ?
    From
    Midwest
    Dec 3, 2017, 11:11 AM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #6

Uhhhh....So we lost out on a third Hellboy movie, but we got the first Abe Sapien film?
  7. RPF Premium Member agliarept's Avatar
    From
    New Jersey
    Dec 3, 2017, 12:39 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #7

saw this movie with Guillermo Del Toro in the audience last week. It was an incredible adult fairy tale.

I can't recommend this movie enough, it's still fresh in my min and i thought it was just as great as pan's Labyrinth. The Amphibian man looks like Abe Sapien, but def not the same.
    From
    San Diego
    Dec 13, 2017, 10:49 AM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #8

He looks like Abe quite a bit, and even enjoys eggs. It was a really good film, beautifully shot, but there were definitely some "wtf" moments that took me out of it. Overall, very good film. I hope it does well, if it gets a wide release.
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Dec 30, 2017, 7:50 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #9

Just got back from seeing this. Absolutely in love with this movie. Not only did it look great as you would expect one of GDT's films would, but the story was really great and so well acted. Perfect casting all around. Michael Shannon was definitely my favorite.
  10. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Dec 30, 2017, 9:02 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #10

Still upset there's no screening here within 200 miles.
  11. Iron Heart RPF Premium Member Sundowner's Avatar
    From
    Midwest
    Dec 30, 2017, 9:29 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #11

PoopaPapaPalps said: View Post
    Still upset there's no screening here within 200 miles.
    Same, I really want to check this out!
  12. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Dec 31, 2017, 6:27 AM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #12

Sundowner said: View Post
    Same, I really want to check this out!
    The curse of the being in the Midwest and not in the two major cities in the region.
    From
    Metro Detroit
    Jan 7, 2018, 9:30 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #13

I'm glad someone like Joe above liked the movie. I didn't like it all, and I tend to be someone who "gets" movies like this... instead of getting a fantasy-romance, I found a lumbering mess that fell flat. It felt like Beauty & Beast without the heart or emotion and with the Creature from the Black Lagoon that showed nothing to endear us to it.
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Jan 7, 2018, 10:09 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #14

JD said: View Post
    I'm glad someone like Joe above liked the movie.
    I'm curious what you mean by this?
    From
    Metro Detroit
    Jan 7, 2018, 10:13 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #15

JoeG said: View Post
    I'm curious what you mean by this?
    I scanned the thread before posting my review and noted that you liked the movie. Obviously, I didn't care much for it... I'm glad someone got it, where I didn't.

No ill will meant at all.
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Jan 7, 2018, 10:57 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #16

JD said: View Post
    I scanned the thread before posting my review and noted that you liked the movie. Obviously, I didn't care much for it... I'm glad someone got it, where I didn't.

No ill will meant at all.
    No worries, its cool. Getting harder and harder to tell around here these days.

In on topic news, GDT just won a Golden Globe for best director for this film. Usually I don't take notice of such things, but in this case I'm just really happy for Guillermo.
    From
    Metro Detroit
    Jan 8, 2018, 5:08 AM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #17

I will say that it is a visually beautiful film.
    From
    The Land of Giant Oaks,ca
    Jan 10, 2018, 12:32 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #18

I thought the movie was very well made, I do think the sex scene with Michael Shannon was in nesscary but other than that really liked it, my wife is on the fence , she didn't get it good Creature suit played well, like beauty and the beast just Creature from the Black Lagoon update
  19. Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Jan 10, 2018, 11:19 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #19

I have seen it twice now. I have to say, I love the movie, but I totally missed what could be called the final twist on my first watch.

I didn't realize that the 3 cuts on her neck are actually 3 on each side, and in the final scene they open up and are acting as gills allowing her to breathe underwater. Which ties together her being orphaned and found by the river, love of the water/eggs, etc, and her being drawn to the creature. Makes for a pretty cool sad/happy ending, Del Toro style.
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Jan 23, 2018, 4:45 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #20

Very pleased to read this. Hope they win them all!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-sha...-13-1516717106
    From
    Midwest USA
    Jan 23, 2018, 6:01 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #21

egosheep said: View Post
    I have seen it twice now. I have to say, I love the movie, but I totally missed what could be called the final twist on my first watch.

I didn't realize that the 3 cuts on her neck are actually 3 on each side, and in the final scene they open up and are acting as gills allowing her to breathe underwater. Which ties together her being orphaned and found by the river, love of the water/eggs, etc, and her being drawn to the creature. Makes for a pretty cool sad/happy ending, Del Toro style.
    Also, the fact that she was mute, like the creature. So would you call her a mermaid out of water? That's what I assumed.
    [/QUOTE]
  22. Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Jan 23, 2018, 9:47 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #22

PotionMistress said: View Post
    Also, the fact that she was mute, like the creature. So would you call her a mermaid out of water? That's what I assumed.
    Yeah, basically the fact that the "cuts" on her neck are on both sides, and are gills that had scarred over. I missed this on my first watch, I thought the ending was more ambiguous, but it's actually really a great ending that makes the rest of the film more interesting on a second watch.
  23. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Jan 26, 2018, 5:26 AM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #23

I finally saw it. While there were some elements I could easily have done without (which didn't really contribute to the story), overall I liked it. While I didn't put all of it together, I did see that twist at the end coming, though admittedly, only just before it happened.

Edit:Though it's not credited as such, the estate of Paul Zindel has suggested the movie is based on the play "Let me Hear You Whisper". I'm not going to say it's outright plagiarism, but the two stories are suspiciously similar. Just substitute a dolphin for the fish man, and...
    Last edited by Tan Djarka; Jan 26, 2018 at 1:04 PM.
    From
    Illinois
    Jan 26, 2018, 5:11 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #24

Couldn't they have at least had a good looking actress in the lead....?
  25. Iron Heart RPF Premium Member Sundowner's Avatar
    From
    Midwest
    Jan 28, 2018, 9:05 PM - Re: Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release) #25

DARKSIDE72 said: View Post
    Couldn't they have at least had a good looking actress in the lead....?
    That was deliberate. If Jennifer Anniston was the lead it would change the whole movie. Elisa doesn't stand out because she isn't really attractive and doesn't speak obviously. Strickland even said something along the lines of "you ain't much to look at".

egosheep said: View Post
    Yeah, basically the fact that the "cuts" on her neck are on both sides, and are gills that had scarred over. I missed this on my first watch, I thought the ending was more ambiguous, but it's actually really a great ending that makes the rest of the film more interesting on a second watch.
    She also has scaled print wallpaper in her apartment and prefers to express herself sexually in water

I saw the movie and I really enjoyed it. Thank goodness it was nominated so it finally started to show in my area
    Last edited by Sundowner; Jan 28, 2018 at 9:16 PM.