Blade Runner 2049 Baseline Test

mrcarkeys42

Was interested in maybe 3D printing the Baseline scanner from BR2049, unfortunately there isnt a lot of reference, just this low quality pic and a single image in the blade runner artbook. Since its all white and being viewed from a direct angle its hard to tell what the actual geometry is, but i think ive gotten pretty close. I just eyeballed it so im sure its not that accurate, but its a start. If i recall im not sure they show other views of it in the movie, so it may be hard to get the full geometry unless they release more behind the scenes images

IMG_1912.jpg

interlinked 1.png

interlinked 2.png

interlinked render 1.png

interlinked render 2.png

Love it! Would love to have one myself. Any idea of the size? Also, does anyone remember if the smaller circle in the bottom left corner lit up?

Last edited:
Love it! Would love to have one myself. Any idea of the size? Also, does anyone remember if the smaller circle in the bottom left corner lit up?

I cant find any reference for the scale of it, I just kind of made it a size i thought seemed right. I assumed that the vertical black bar was 14" long and scaled the rest of it to that lol

This is just an early attempt though, for the final thing I will probably end up finding something to use for the large lens and scale everything to that (assuming accurate measurements are never known)

Im not sure if its lit up or just reflective, will have to see the movie again haha

Last edited:
I cant find any reference for the scale of it, I just kind of made it a size i thought seemed right. I assumed that the vertical black bar was 14" long and scaled the rest of it to that lol

This is just an early attempt though, for the final thing I will probably end up finding something to use for the large lens and scale everything to that (assuming
accurate measurements are never known)

Im not sure if its lit up or just reflective, will have to see the movie again haha

I can’t remember either and look forward to seeing the movie again myself. I can’t wait to see the progress of this, I am very interested myself. The scale sounds good so far.

Worked on the model a bit more today, here is version 2

I added some outer silver rings around the two lenses

I extended the length of the back panel on the right, looking at my first model and comparing it to the image, the two black lines were too short. This seems closer but i may have overcompensated (let me know what you guys think)

I added a bevel to the metal piece at the top and added another metal piece on the bottom (its hard to tell because of the shadows but i'm pretty sure there is one down there)

new baseline 1.png

new baseline 2.png

new baseline 1 render.png

new baseline 2 render.png

Here are the highlighted changes

changes in red.png

Also does anybody know something I could use for the lenses? Actual camera lenses can be quite expensive and I think it would only require the front element anyway. Maybe a cheap wide converter?

I would take a look at projector lenses like the ones from overhead projectors. (lens overhead projector)

Also maybe lenses from Car headlights like these: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...d=SB_20171203051842&SearchText=projector+lens

Thank you this was really helpful, by looking into these I found out the type of lens itself is called an aspheric condenser lens and they are sold in various sizes on eBay for relatively cheap

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...denser+lens.TRS0&_nkw=condenser+lens&_sacat=0

Now the diameter of the main lens in my model is 1 3/4" (44.45mm) this was done assuming that the vertical black bar is 14" which was a complete guess lol

50mm seems to be a common diameter for these lenses, and thats usually including a small lip so thats probably the closest in size to my guess.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1pcs-High-Po...ndenser-Lens-50mm/1031411907?iid=321444464645

For some kind of reference point, the Nikon fisheye lens used to make the HAL 9000 was 83mm in diameter

here is a comparison with my original model, the original model scaled up for a larger lens, and the outline of HAL to scale

AutoSave_cells interlinked.png

here is a pic of HAL in someones hand, for a sense of size

hal in hand.jpg

So with all of that in mind I would bet on the 50mm being about the right size, wish I could get more accurate but thats the best I got lol

Sorry for going back and forth between imperial and metric

Last edited:
So im almost done with the updated model, while still not perfect im confident that this is the closest so far

brand new 4.pngbrand new 3.pngbrand new 2.pngbrand new 1.png

ive also been working on the assembly that will hold the lens in place. I had to do some guess work since you cant see much detail in the screenshots (all you can really see is an outer silver ring, a black ring, and an inner silver ring)

This is what i came up with using some creative liberties

lens assembly diagram.png

lens assembly colors.png

lens assembly colors 2.png

lens assembly render.png

im going to see if i can get these three parts printed today and see how well they fit the lens i bought, if it works well i will use the same technique to make the assembly for the smaller lens.

the only thing im still unsure about is the third round object because i honestly cant tell what it is. its either a light of some kind or just something reflective, could be an indicator light or many a light up button/switch i really have no clue

what is it.png

if anybody has an idea let me know lol

also here are the lenses I got, hope they look nice put together!

lenses.jpg

also as far as i know this is the only shot that has something to compare size, and due to the angle i cant tell distance at all so its pretty useless. hopefully my estimate is in the ballpark lol

giphy.gif

I applaud you making this. It is one of my favorite things in BR2049.

This was my take on the device. It is only 2D, so I don't have other views.
I feel like the vertical piece slides left/right along rails. Could be wrong.
62kcsoZ.png

I applaud you making this. It is one of my favorite things in BR2049.

This was my take on the device. It is only 2D, so I don't have other views.
I feel like the vertical piece slides left/right along rails. Could be wrong.

Thanks! And yeah I was thinking the same thing, looks like it was meant to move (maybe it would scan the subjects brain moving horizontally?) I wonder if the prop was originally meant to move but they decided it looked better still, or maybe it was just a static prop and they wanted to make it look like it could

your render is almost spot on, what did you use to make it?

only thing i can point out is that the vertical bar only overhangs on the top, not on the bottom

side by side.png

Thanks! And yeah I was thinking the same thing, looks like it was meant to move (maybe it would scan the subjects brain moving horizontally?) I wonder if the prop was originally meant to move but they decided it looked better still, or maybe it was just a static prop and they wanted to make it look like it could

your render is almost spot on, what did you use to make it?

only thing i can point out is that the vertical bar only overhangs on the top, not on the bottom

View attachment 783146

I'm just so glad someone is pursuing this. I haven't found much on this scanner. I've asked a number of the film's designers, and nobody on the team seems to know exactly who came up with it.

I made it in Adobe Fireworks (Illustrators younger brother). I took a couple photos with my phone, in the theater. Then I made the piece by tracing and cleaning up the lines.

I decided that the vertical offset we see in the 'scanner' bar's shapes, are because the angle is from below the center of the object. Therefore I centered all the parts, making it more like a plan view than a perspective render.

This is looking amazing! I hope to build one myself in the next few months. Great work and info! Thanks for sharing all of this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back