Blade Runner 2049 Baseline Test

When comparing your prop against the screenshot, I would say that the upper left triangle might be tilted backwards on the movie version. The lower half of the triangle seems to be flat.

It’s the opposite on your version.

I might be seeing it wrong though...

interesting, I never considered it before but you might be right. I just assumed that since the larger top part was lighter and the bottom small part was darker, the darker small part must be tilted down into shadow. However, the upper part is actually even lighter than other flat parts of the panel, and the smaller part is the same shade as other flat parts. the upper part is a similar light shade to other parts which are tilted back into light, so let me try modeling it that way and ill show a comparison

When comparing your prop against the screenshot, I would say that the upper left triangle might be tilted backwards on the movie version. The lower half of the triangle seems to be flat.

It’s the opposite on your version.

I might be seeing it wrong though...
Interesting observation.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is my understanding.

Planes_02.jpg

Last edited:
I am watching the extras on the disc. There is a scene in the extras ("Designing the World of Blade Runner 2049") where a woman is holding the unit in her hand. An interesting side view that gives us some thickness reference. Super excited to find this!

The general size is what we had extrapolated, but it is MUCH thicker than we'd thought. We can also see along the top edge a bit and there's a rail with a couple circular elements on it.

Wish there was something we knew the dimensions of, to use as a better size reference. The ID badge perhaps?

This is the best I can do for now. I don't have a way to do screencaps at the moment, so this is a photo of my TV from my phone.

IMG_20180120_215151938_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20180120_215151938_BURST001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Request: We could really use some Blu-ray screencaps of this, if any of you have the capability.

I'm outlining the major visible elements in the shot. Here's what I am seeing in the image...
EnhanceLayers_01.jpg

EnhanceLayers_01.jpg

Great find! I think the base plate is pretty accurate in overall size, but yeah the vertical scanner is way thicker! also looks like it was definitely intended to slide horizontally as there is a gap, I might still keep it as one solid piece though just to make things easier

also great reference for the silver railings!

keep an eye out, it would awesome to have similar reference for the other side

and yeah if anybody could get hd screenshots that would be great!

Picked up my copy today and got some screenshots

screenshot005.jpgscreenshot004.jpgscreenshot003.jpgscreenshot002.jpgscreenshot001.jpgscreenshot000.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

and the vertical bar still needs a lot of work (the top half of the largest oval actually has a straight edge not a curved one) but i fixed its overall size and fixed the shape of the left triangle

v5 6.png

- - - Updated - - -

The silver railing you’re describing looks like a linear rail, which makes sense if the vertical scanner slides horizontally.
View attachment 788832

definitely looks like that's what it is, ill look at various rails online for reference

I wonder whether what looks like a white light on the lower left might possibly be a memory sphere. Are memory spheres deprecated in 2049, only used for archives? Or are they still used for certain applications as a recording medium?
blade_gallery5.jpg

I would take a look at projector lenses like the ones from overhead projectors. (lens overhead projector)

Also maybe lenses from Car headlights like these: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...d=SB_20171203051842&SearchText=projector+lens

Or real projectors like the one I found in a industrial bin today...SIM2, not a cheap one either. Apparently it was thrown due to having half the DMD fail and it is cheaper to buy a new projector than have it fixed.

I want the script for the base line test.

Request: We could really use some Blu-ray screencaps of this, if any of you have the capability.

I'm outlining the major visible elements in the shot. Here's what I am seeing in the image...
View attachment 788748

I own the 4K UHD version of the film. The problem is the only shot seems to be front on because it is mounted to the wall.

I own the 4K UHD version of the film. The problem is the only shot seems to be front on because it is mounted to the wall.
A 4K screenshot of it mounted on the wall would still be twice as clear, as that one image we have so far. If you can pull it off we sure could use it. Thanks.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I wonder whether what looks like a white light on the lower left might possibly be a memory sphere. Are memory spheres deprecated in 2049, only used for archives? Or are they still used for certain applications as a recording medium?
View attachment 789001

its a neat idea but the size doesn't match, at the current scale the light on the bottom left of the panel is roughly 1.5cm in diameter, the memory spheres look like 3-4cm in diameter to me

- - - Updated - - -

That could still prove super helpful, especially in areas where its hard to discern details (like the black rings around the lenses and the vertical black bar)

if you are up for grabbing some 4k screenshots that would be awesome!

just keep in mind that the "close ups" of the device are in the second baseline test scene, not the first

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back