Blade Runner 2049 Baseline Test

Also, one last note for the day, but im pretty sure the vertical black bar is actually proud, not recessed like i have been making it.

black bar.png

This is what I came up with, but i am printing it as a separate insertable part that way if i don't like the way it looks i don't have to reprint the entire section.

black bar 1.png

black bar 2.png

black bar 3.png

black bar 4.png

Let me know what you think!

Whist your effort into creating this model is 2nd to none, I still think this vertical part is some form of optical drive.

attachment.php

This black part is rubber, not a molded plastic part.

Whist your effort into creating this model is 2nd to none, I still think this vertical part is some form of optical drive. This black part is rubber, not a molded plastic part.

I definitely think you are right about it being rubber, especially since you can see how uneven it is up close, I just wouldn't know where to start with something like that, assuming it is a found part (some kind of rubber grommet?) I could fabricate it maybe, but I have no experience working with rubber. Figure by printing it i can make it a pressure fit, and replace it if a better solution comes about later on.

I could try to model something more organic looking then what i showed above though, sketchup is not the best with organic shapes however.

How about something like this? I dont know how well it will turn out after printing, sanding, painting etc (because this is getting quite small) but at least digitally i think it looks pretty good, more organic then my last post:

black bar 5.pngblack bar 6.pngblack bar 7.pngblack bar 8.pngblack bar 9.png

thoughts?

I actually came up with a solution for the light being too large. Idk why I didnt think of this before, but my solution is to inset it an extra MM or so and give the ring that goes around it a small lip to obscure part of the light.

Here is a diagram of what i mean:

LED ring diagram.png

and here is a render of what the part should look like

led ring render.png

Been looking at the vertical black section. The highlights are throwing me off. The top looks like one shape, and the bottom looks like another. How those make a transition is anybody's guess.
What do you make of this?
baselineScannerX_01.jpg

Been looking at the vertical black section. The highlights are throwing me off. The top looks like one shape, and the bottom looks like another. How those make a transition is anybody's guess.
What do you make of this?
View attachment 825743

Yeah I wasn't sure what that white/silver thing was, I was having too hard of a time figuring it out so just didn't include it (same goes with the weird "gash" all the way on the right side)

if it were a rubber slit it almost looks like a metal pin or something poking through

okay so to test Karstein's theory I built a crude model of the baseline test room with an overhead incandescent light, white walls and black floor. I then removed the opposite wall (where the door is positioned) as that would probably be removed while filming the scanner wall to fit crew and equipment. i then enclosed the entire thing inside a big dark room so no sunlight interferes(and its probably accurate lighting conditions to whatever studio they filmed inside of)

just a reflection 1.png

For the black bar it was nothing but a reflective black cylindrical shape with rounded edges, no slit

this is how the renders turned out:

just a reflection 2.png

just a reflection 3.png

just a reflection 4.png

(sorry the renders are fuzzy, given the lighting conditions they should render for a longer while but the point is made)

I think thats really really close to what is seen in the movie. Its a bit "perfect" looking but thats because its a digital render, who knows how many factors interfered with the real reflection to make it a bit wonky

I think I agree with what you're seeing here. The model looks like it is giving us the same sort of surface indications that we're seeing in the film.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

only question now is what is it? I can print that part and make it a glossy black, but it might be some kind of found glass part, cant tell.

only question now is what is it? I can print that part and make it a glossy black, but it might be some kind of found glass part, cant tell.
There is a whole bunch of 'what is it', associated with this object. We may just have arrived at 'that's as close as we can get without knowing what these things actually are'.

A lot of progress has been made from the early part of this thread, and I am impressed.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

There is a whole bunch of 'what is it', associated with this object. We may just have arrived at 'that's as close as we can get without knowing what these things actually are'.

A lot of progress has been made from the early part of this thread, and I am impressed.

Yeah you are right, better just make it the best i can make it and i can always revise it in the future if there is anything in need of changing haha

prints should be done in a few days

So far it's MDF, I'll likely use some form of plastic or aluminium for the lens holders.

I have used measurements from mrcarkeys42's model to draw up some templates. I've printed them out and traced around them on some MDF of various thicknesses and cut it on the table saw and/or bandsaw. I've just done the templates for the scanner section, this will be several layers of MDF using MDF templates and a flush cut bit to get multiples of the same part.

baseline templates.png

You do not need to look for the right size of lenses necessarily. Get a piece of Lexan and heat a small area with a heat gun ( I have a Hot Air Soldering Rework Station for SMD work) and press quickly over a steel ball of the right size with a ring that gives you the desired size and cut it out. That is how I made the lens for my Bladerunner Baracuda build.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back