Blade Runner 2049 Baseline Test

Never noticed this before but the vertical panel is actually in different positions depending on the shot, gives more credence to the idea that it was supposed to move horizontally while scanning the subject:

it moved.png

Also prints are on the way, just taking longer then i thought. Ill update as soon as I can!

Last edited:
You do not need to look for the right size of lenses necessarily. Get a piece of Lexan and heat a small area with a heat gun ( I have a Hot Air Soldering Rework Station for SMD work) and press quickly over a steel ball of the right size with a ring that gives you the desired size and cut it out. That is how I made the lens for my Bladerunner Baracuda build.

I already have enough lenses for two of them, but if I decide I have the means to make more I will consider this technique!

Speaking of making more, I don't know if i will have the means but if I did, how much is a properly finished printed prop of this size usually sold for? Ive never really sold or bought replicas before, only made my own so i'm not sure how to decide such a thing

Could you clarify to what dimension 5, 7 10 mm refers to ? Width of the rail or height? Cheers

https://www.mcmaster.com/#linear-motion-carriages/ and then "Ball Bearing Carriages and Guide Rails" and you should get a list on the left of various sizes, 5mm (and smaller) is available. McMaster have 3D models available so you can grab them and scale your reference image, (in Fusion 360 you can do this using the Calibrate Canvas option).

On a rough attempt to scale the flattest reference image

5mm rail gives a derived height of 70mm ish (Based on a 3.7mm height spec)
7mm rail gives a derived height of 105mm ish (Based on a 5mm height spec) <--- this is your guy- I''d guess a 120cm rail
10mm isn't worth trying because if you look at the aspect ratio of width:height its visibly wrong.

Edit: Does this help?

View attachment 799675

Another edit: I extrapolated a little more based on the assumed dimensions of a 7mm rail and came up with this:
View attachment 799745View attachment 799755

I think there is some perspective distortion in the head-on reference image. Although the top left corner looks like its overhanging I'm not convinced it actually does - you'd think you'd see some indication in the pictures lunadude posted.

Thank you. Those are pricey indeed I guess 100-110 mm long ones were likely used? What is you best estimate there? Easy to print replacements though. I am very impressed how you guys figured the dimensions.

My current version is actually scaled to that exact railing (the 120mm long rail)

It could be a different size but thats our best estimate with the very limited amount of reference material haha

as pointed out earlier they can be acquired for lower prices from other retailers, which i was going to do but i eventually opted to print them first and see how they turn out. if i am not satisfied then i might bite the bullet and get the real ones lol

Scanner section started and playing around with various PVC pipe combinations.

I think I will print out an image of the reflection in the lens and put that behind the actual lens, well I'll see how it looks :)

baseline 4.jpgbaseline 3.jpg

I fabricated them from some scrap 3mm aluminium. Cut out some strips at 7mm wide and doubled them up to give 6mm thick. The two layers kind of looked liked the extruded profile, I also sanded a bevel on the edges to emphasise it.

Here is my initial take on the prop. I would propose that the small gap next to the upper camera unit is actually a hinge to move that part? Looks nice extended. My rails are 10 mm wide and 120mm long. Fairly sure that this was all done in metric scale. The camera modules are probably much higher. I would have them at least 2cm higher to keep all balanced. Clearly the director wanted something substantial to interact with. The center scanner? is actually symmetric.
Capture.JPGCapture4.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPGCapture5.JPG

Last edited:
...I would propose that the small gap next to the upper camera unit is actually a hinge to move that part? Looks nice extended....

Looking great!
Pivoting upper camera is an interesting idea. It is speculation, as we never see any of it actually move.

Of course entirely speculation although looking at the geometry the gap hardly makes sense otherwise.
gap.jpgGap2.jpg

Last edited:
20180707_191039.jpg20180707_191026.jpg

With the top coat going on the lens components are a tight fit so I'll need to sand them down a little so they can drop in easier. It was a struggle getting these out just partially inserted. I also need to make the lower left lens bigger, it's a 10mm LED which is about the right size, but it doesn't 'look' right. I might go back to the little lens I had trialed earlier.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back