Rick and Morty: Rick's Portal Gun

PeteVenkman

Hello everyone!

This is my scratch-built portal gun from Rick and Morty. I made this to go with my Rick costume for Halloween this year. It's made mainly from sheet styrene and a bunch of milliput. The electronics are pretty basic, nothing fancy. Some static LED's and three green LED's in the front that are triggered by a momentary switch. I sculpted the plasma effect out of glow in the dark sculpey.

zizflRR.jpg

ob9H6sd.jpg

EquWP3A.jpg

PWkBUq4.jpg

UhB7XNs.jpg

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I really enjoyed making this. Once I started watching the show, and got fully hooked, I knew this was an absolute must have prop for me.

That looks FANTASTIC. How easy or hard is milliput to work with? Looks like you got a really smooth finish.

It's actually very easy to work with. It's a two-part epoxy putty much like apoxi-sculpt (I even used some of that is places). Once it's cured it sands easily, but when it's still workable you can wet your fingers and really smooth it out. I could have gotten things perfectly smooth had I not been rushing to get it made on time.

Here you can see I chopped the handle off a lint roller as the base of the handle (to save on putty) which I attached to an aluminum rod with apoxi-sculpt. After that I fixed up some milliput and used a roller to flatten it in to sheets that I applied around the handle and back of the portal gun. Then it was just smoothing it out at different intervals as it cured and then a final sanding once it had fully cured.

g6bbjuo.jpg

OrAQ3J2.jpg

DjEZi0L.jpg

And remember: Graaaaaaaaass tastes bad!

That is ridiculously well-finished and well-built! I love the green energy bulb insert, too.

Uh... obligatory Rick quote... "I DON'T GIVE A ****"

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back