Infinity Stones in the MCU (Spoilers for Thor: Ragnarok and Infinity War trailer)

Dessa

Sr Member
Okay, so, here we go, where are the stones and what's going on with them? I'm gonna post (to the best of my ability) the MCU history of each stone and where it currently is.

Space Stone (Blue)
The Space Stone is the Tesseract. Red Skull used it in Captain America: The First Avenger, and obviously it played a big role in Avengers. It was given to Asgard for safe-keeping, and seen in the Vault in Thor: Ragnarok.
[spoilers]We can assume from Thor: Ragnarok that Loki took it from the Vault, which is confirmed in the Infinity War trailer. Furthermore, as Thanos' ship is shown bearing down on the Asgardian ship in the mid-credits scene of Thor: Ragnarok, and the Infinity War trailer shows the Blue stone in place, we know that Thanos acquires it from Loki, either willingly or by force.[/spoiler]

Mind Stone (Yellow)
The Mind Stone is the stone from Loki's scepter in Avengers. Baron von Strucker somehow got it after that (presumably stolen from SHIELD during the Hydra takeover), and used it in experiments, with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch the only survivors. Ultron gets it after that, and it's put into Vision (intended to be a new vessel for Ultron, his plans don't go his way). In the Infinity War trailer, it's shown that someone (I didn't see who) is using the scepter to retrieve the Stone from Vision. It's not shown to be in place in the shot of the Gauntlet, but in the image we've seen before (below) of the Gauntlet, it was on the thumb, which could have been out-of-shot. Or the scene could have been after Thanos acquires Blue, even though the scene occurred first in the trailer.
Thanos_with_Infinity_Gauntlet_and_Stones_%28MCU%29.jpg

(Can't remember which movie this one is from, possibly Thor's vision in Age of Ultron? There's already a problem with it, though, because in the Infinity War trailer, he is shown placing Blue, but Purple is where Green is in this pic)

Reality Stone (Red)
The Reality Stone is the Aether from Thor: The Dark World. Not wanting to keep two Infinity Stones in Asgard, the Asgardians took it to the Collector. We didn't see it in his Collection in Guardians of the Galaxy, and given that his Collection was blown up, without evidence to the contrary I'd have to say that it's MIA. He may still have it, or it could be in an unknown quantity's hands (or even just floating off in space somewhere). Most likely they'll still have it in the hands of the Collector, but unless other information has come out, I'm not comfortable saying this is 100% fact.

Power Stone (Purple)
The Power Stone was what was contained in the Orb in Guardians of the Galaxy. It was given to Nova Corps on Xandar for safe-keeping. We know from the Infinity War trailer that Thanos gets it (and he gets it before the Blue Stone, as it's already in place when that one is placed). My guess is that when it's stolen from Xandar, the Guardians are tasked with retrieval (either by Nova Corps or themselves), and in chasing Thanos is where they come across Thor.

Time Stone (Green)
The Time Stone is the stone in the Eye of Agamotto, held by Doctor Strange. According to Wikipedia, the Masters of the Mystic Arts are holding it in Kamar-Taj. I'd have to rewatch the Infinity War trailer to see if Strange has the Eye, and if the Eye still has the Stone, or if you can even tell. I don't remember if he had it or not in Thor: Ragnarok.

Soul Stone (Orange)
The Soul Stone is the final Stone, and we haven't seen it yet, other than the above shot of the Gauntlet (where it looks more white to me). Feige confirmed we'd see it in Phase Three, since "there's a gauntlet that needs to be filled" (quote from Feige). I have one of two guesses as to when we will see it. Guess one is that it will show up in Black Panther, as that's the last film before Infinity War, and that will trigger Infinity War. Guess two is that it will show up somewhere in Infinity War, and there's a race to get to the final Stone before Thanos. Either one could make sense.

Oh, and as for the Gauntlet itself... We saw it in the Vault in Thor, but it was right-handed. When Thanos claimed the Gauntlet (not from the Asgardian Vault) in Age of Ultron's mid-credit scene, it was left-handed. Thor: Ragnarok confirms that the one in the Vault is a fake.

Since Kevin has such a good handle on things for Marvel's worldbuilding, since he remembers all the little easter eggs worked in (the scientist Bruce visits in Incredible Hulk being the guy who becomes the Leader, for instance), since he's been establishing a generation of heroes who won't come into their own, in some cases, for a good decade or more (Cassie Lang, the effort to circumvent Fox to get Wanda in so she and Vision can presumably have their kids, Sharon Carter, etc.)... I can't help but wonder if he's thought about the fact that Earth has been harboring the Time Stone for thousands of years, and the Space Stone for more than a thousand. Recently, the Space Stone got swapped for the Mind Stone. But that's still two Infinity Stones on one backwater planet for centuries or more. Why Earth?

Agamotto was an interdimensional being who set up his bastion for this dimension on Earth. The Nine Realms have Earth as the point of entry for this Realm/dimension. The only viable Celestial offspring (Peter Quill) was the one Ego "planted" on Earth. I keep wondering if some version of the comic character Nova will show up, as a last champion of the Corps (possibly after Thanos re-decimates them so soon after Ronan did). Earth again.
Carol Danvers is the inheritor of the power of the Kree champion Mar-Vell. Another Earther being able to posess cosmic powers.
I know the real-world reason is because this is where the creators and readers of the comics are, so of course Earth is just de-facto important. But I'm hoping he's put some Earth-X-style thought into establishing a "why" for it all at some point in the MCU...

Meanwhile, I am seriously flummoxed by the Soul Stone. When Ayesha was in GotG2, I figured that pod at the end was her creating Adam Warlock -- possibly with the Soul Stone he's been inextricably associated with in the comics. But James Gunn said that wasn't Adam Warlock and the Soul Stone isn't involved. If that's not misdirection, I'm just baffled. The Kree Central Intelligence? The souls of Beta Ray Bill's people? Janet Pym brings it back from beyond the subatomic? I feel like I've got to be missing something. *grump*

--Jonah

Last edited:
Since Kevin has such a good handle on things for Marvel's worldbuilding, since he remembers all the little easter eggs worked in (the scientist Bruce visits in Incredible Hulk being the guy who becomes the Leader, for instance), since he's been establishing a generation of heroes who won't come into their own, in some cases, for a good decade or more (Cassie Lang, the effort to circumvent Fox to get Wanda in so she and Vision can presumably have their kids, Sharon Carter, etc.)... I can't help but wonder if he's thought about the fact that Earth has been harboring the Time Stone for thousands of years, and the Space Stone for more than a thousand. Recently, the Space Stone got swapped for the Mind Stone. But that's still two Infinity Stones on one backwater planet for centuries or more. Why Earth?

Agamotto was an interdimensional being who set up his bastion for this dimension on Earth. The Nine Realms have Earth as the point of entry for this Realm/dimension. The only viable Celestial offspring (Peter Quill) was the one Ego "planted" on Earth. I keep wondering if some version of the comic character Nova will show up, as a last champion of the Corps (possibly after Thanos re-decimates them so soon after Ronan did). Earth again. [spoilers]Carol Danvers is the inheritor of the power of the Kree champion Mar-Vell. Another Earther being able to posess cosmic powers.[/spoilers] I know the real-world reason is because this is where the creators and readers of the comics are, so of course Earth is just de-facto important. But I'm hoping he's put some Earth-X-style thought into establishing a "why" for it all at some point in the MCU...

Meanwhile, I am seriously flummoxed by the Soul Stone. When Ayesha was in GotG2, I figured that pod at the end was her creating Adam Warlock -- possibly with the Soul Stone he's been inextricably associated with in the comics. But James Gunn said that wasn't Adam Warlock and the Soul Stone isn't involved. If that's not misdirection, I'm just baffled. The Kree Central Intelligence? The souls of Beta Ray Bill's people? Janet Pym brings it back from beyond the subatomic? I feel like I've got to be missing something. *grump*

--Jonah

Gunn said that wasn't Adam Warlock at the end of GotG2?

I feel like that's GOT to be a smokescreen...I mean, she even said she'd call him Adam, didn't she?

***EDIT***
http://www.slashfilm.com/james-gunn-fought-to-keep-adam-warlock-credits-scene-in-guardians-2/

He's saying in this article that it's Adam Warlock, but we shouldn't expect Warlock to show up in one of these final two Avengers flicks.

***EDIT 2***

I forgot...

...I think the Soul Stone is in Wakanda. I've felt that for a long time, primarily because it's the final film before "Infinity War."

In the trailer for IW, too, it looks like there's going to be some huge battle in Wakanda, where the Avengers look like they're all back together. Makes sense if Thanos is heading there to get that last stone!

Last edited:
That was it. Sorry. I misremembered. But still, if he doesn't show up until after Avengers 4, then he isn't where the Soul Stone is now.

I'm wondering if Adam Warlock will be a main bad guy for the next phase of films somehow. Doesn't Warlock have some evil alter-ego of some kind? Magnus or something like that?

I'm wondering if Adam Warlock will be a main bad guy for the next phase of films somehow. Doesn't Warlock have some evil alter-ego of some kind? Magnus or something like that?
The Magus. But Adam Warlock's had plenty of ups and downs before his own split personalities came into play. Even at his best, he's a bit of an emotionless, manipulative, I-know-better-than-you d**k.

Having re-watched the trailer for the *mumbleth* time, a few things... I don't know how much we'll see of Thanos acquiring the stones, but I feel the makers would be remiss in not using that as a literal countdown mechanic. So he goes to Xandar first. He has the Power Stone by the time he finds the Asgardians. From the dead bodies of Asgardians and rubble Loki is stepping over, I'm guessing he tried to play dumb at first. I definitely get the vibe he's being forced to hand the Tesseract over or otherwise hoping Thanos will just take it and go. The shot of Thanos dropping the Space Stone into its socket is that same background, not the shots that look like Earth.

So he only has those two when he arrives here. No Reality Stone. Which is not on Earth (unless it got here from Knowhere without us knowing it). As for Earth... I have a hard to shake feeling Thanos hits Wakanda first. I can't imagine the kind of lull that would allow Bruce and Natasha to have that reunion shot and Bruce to work on a new Hulkbuster, etc. I have a hunch Vision went there to be with Wanda, and, if so, Thanos would definitely come looking for the Mind Stone there. Which he takes and goes, not caring about a solid military victory. He heads to New York and Our Heroes follow him there, which is where things culminate for this movie.

At the end of Doctor Strange, he had left the Eye of Agamotto in Kamar-Taj. Didn't have it in the New York Sanctum in Ragnarok. Two shots in the teaser that I'm pretty sure are in order are the confused-looking Bruce laying in the rubble and the reverse angle on Strange and Wong looking down at something, backed by a hole in the roof. Pretty sure the Hulk crashes through the roof of the New York Sanctum sometime not too long after Thanos arrives over New York. And Strange has the Eye with him. Curious what transpires that that changes.

Which still leaves me at sea on the Reality Stone and Soul Stone...

My roommate has a theory that the Soul Stone is what allows Black Panther to communicate with the Panther spirit.

Thats a good theory!!

My other one was, I'm pretty sure Killmonger was killed and resurrcted in the comics...by...uhhhh....someone? Maybe Mandarin? Anyway, I've been wondering if in the film the Soul Stone will be what's used to resurrect Killmonger. That, of course, is clearly just speculation and a total guess.

My introduction to the Infinity gems was Adam Warlock, so if Adam Warlock doesn't show up with the Soul gem, I'm gonna pout.

Why Earth?

Because we and these creators live on Earth. Same reason so many important stuff happens on Earth in the comics. Same reason in ST:TNG things that can affect the whole quadrant always happens to the ship we happen to be watching.

Last edited:
Just read this article on Tor.com, and they bring up the Soul Stone. I doubt their third guess (that Thanos has it already), but their first two I find interesting.

Option #1: Infinity War is a hunt for the final Stone, either on Earth, space, or across the cosmos/”realms”.
This seems the most plausible, since it lends an important urgency to the events of the film (an urgency that Thanos may not yet be able to imbue) and would give a good reason for Tony calling in every superpowered being there is, delivering on the promise of a giant Avengers film where everyone meets everyone.

Option #2: It’s in Wakanda.
The trailers for Black Panther make clear that the “real” Wakanda is separated and hidden from the rest of the world. The power or technology required to do this kind of thing in a tech-wacky universe where Tony Stark can build these things in a cave with a box o’ scraps would have to be…otherworldly. In the comics, the Soul Gem holds a harmonious universe within itself…what if Real Wakanda only exists within that universe? (This would also dovetail nicely with the MCU’s concept of vibranium, a metal that harmonizes with all frequencies, which is only available within Wakanda.)
Alternately, the Soul Gem might simply be a key possession of the Wakandan royal lineage, allowing the current Black Panther to seek wisdom from their deceased ancestors. T’Chaka’s voice can be heard in the trailers, after all, and there’s a shot in the Black Panther trailer that certainly looks like T’Challa has entered a dreamy realm.
Finally, in the Infinity War trailer Thanos has clearly sent legions of his forces to Wakanda and New York City, meaning that there are either Infinity Stones or their defenders located there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may revise this after seeing Black Panther, but my current feeling is that this is still "part 1", even if part 2 is now going to be called something different. It is still going to be an Infinity War in that it's a war for the Infinity Stones Thanos acquires in this film. I just don't think there's enough screen time to have him get all six stones (or even five, if he starts already having the Power Stone) and then the big cosmic fight to get the gauntlet away from him again. My current wager is on:

We end Infinity War with casualties, and maybe even deaths, among Our Heroes, the terrestrial and cosmic ends of the MCU are brought more solidly together, and Thanos leaves a battered Earth with four of the Infinity Stones (maybe five, if the Soul Stone is, in fact, here), and is off to acquire the last one/two. And that will be the beginning of "part 2", whether it's Avengers 4, whatever it ends up being called, or GotG 3, or whatever.

I like this. I hope you're right.
Part one in the Avengers, part two in Guardians of the Galaxy.

I just keep thinking about how it needs to be a truly cosmic clash, to justify the buildup. There isn't enough time for him to kick everyone's butts to get the Space, Mind, and Time Stones, find the last two wherever they are, and then have the massive universe-shaking climax. I also keep thinking about how Adam Warlock won't be seen till the next Guardians movie, per Gunn, and he's always been closely tied to the Soul Stone. I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised, though.

Didn't Marvel announce that the Russo brothers would be directing the Infinity movies (back when they were part 1 and 2)? I like your idea of the story continuing across Guardians 3. It could become a quasi-3rd part to the story. So maybe something like this could occur.

Avengers 3 - Thanos comes to Earth to gather a couple of the stones. Leaves our heroes broken with casualties.
Guardians 3 - The Guardians and maybe some guest stars like Thor try to beat Thanos to the last stone, maybe the Reality stone (last seen on Nowhere with the Collector)
Avengers 4 - Thanos has the gauntlet and the final battle begins.

I agree that it would be better to spread the story across as many movies as possible.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 isn't coming out until after Avengers 4, though. 202 to A4's 2019.

Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel are the two movies coming out between.

For a long time, I've felt that the Infinity War Duology (IW and whatever A4 ends up being named) is going to be the "passing of the torch." IW will have the team reunite after CW, and then be defeated, allowing for the older actors to move on, with AM&tW and CM establishing [more] new heroes, with A4 being the "new" Avengers coming together and defeating Thanos.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 isn't coming out until after Avengers 4, though. 202 to A4's 2019.

Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel are the two movies coming out between.

For a long time, I've felt that the Infinity War Duology (IW and whatever A4 ends up being named) is going to be the "passing of the torch." IW will have the team reunite after CW, and then be defeated, allowing for the older actors to move on, with AM&tW and CM establishing [more] new heroes, with A4 being the "new" Avengers coming together and defeating Thanos.

I'm of the understanding that not only does GotG3 come out after Avengers 4, it is also a Phase 4 (or whatever they'll call it) film, which means it will have nothing to do with the Phase1-3 story arc.

Got distracted by Star Wars. But the Black Panther lobby display at the theater where I saw Jumanji last week has got me thinking about this again... Following up on the above, the release schedule is:

• Infinity War in May 2018
• Ant-Man and the Wasp -- "romantic comedy" style story, set after Civil War, but no more specific than that. Depending on the scope of Infinity War, Scott and Hope might be too distracted by their activities on the West Coast of the US to notice anything in time.
• Captain Marvel is a prequel of sorts. We meet her in Infinity War, and this takes place in the '90s, showing how she got her powers.
• Avengers 4 is set for May 2019, but principal photography took place roughly contemporaneous with Infinity War, and it's difficult to know how much of the cast list is for which film, or which locations are relevant for which Avengers movie. From the beginning, when it was still Infinity War Parts 1 and 2, Kevin Feige was saying that it's two related but distinct stories, not one long story split into two parts. So I expect some evolution of the larger story, without necessarily being a direct cliffhanger-continuation of IW. I have a feeling that, apart from Act I events that take place in space, the rest of IW will be on Earth, and end with Our Heroes leaving in pursuit of Thanos, with this film being largely or entirely set out in space. But I also think some big transitions will happen here and many/most of Our Heroes will end up back on Earth at the end of this. Partly because this is the last Phase Three film, and also because...
• The next MCU film is the next Spider-Man film, and we already know Tom Hardy's been cast as Eddie Brock, who becomes Venom, so I'm thinking/hoping the black costume shows up in Avengers 4 for Peter to bring back to Earth.
Then we get GotG vol. 3 in 2020.

Kevin's said they're not talking details of any Phase Four films yet, so as to not distract from the remaining Phase Three films, but has given and revised three 2020 release dates and says they know which film they want in which slot and have things planned out through 2021, plus additional storylines that will take them through 2028. So I know we're in good hands and they won't rush or screw up anything. With all that in mind, though, I still feel like with this...

GotGV2_Adam_3.jpg

...we've been shown the Soul Stone, and that it's not a misdirect. Can't wait until February so we can maybe find out a bit more.

--Jonah

So, the recent "leaked footage" from the Marvel 2018 Extravaganza shows...
the Guardians sneaking into the Collector's... collection while the latter is being interrogated by Thanos as to the whereabouts of the Reality Stone. Tivan bluffs his way through, saying he sold it a while back, not realizing what it was. Thanos doesn't buy it. We don't know how this resolves, as the clip ends with Drax breaking cover to confront Thanos and the rest of the Guardians having little choice but to follow. I find myself wondering about its placement. I don't know whether this will be one of the post-movie teases with Black Panther, I don't know whether it's part of the main narrative of Infinity War (and, if so, when, as he doesn't have the Reality Stone at any point in the stuff we've seen of IW so far, i.e., by the time he comes to Earth), I don't know whether it's maybe an after-movie scene for IW, or maybe even part of Avengers 4. I could see it going almost any of those directions. Thoughts?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back