Captain America Civil War Build Process techniques fabrication

PerilloMarc

So I really wanted a Cap suit for the longest time and after making a shield I decided to just go for it.. I then realized sewing and costuming and replicating is way way WAY harder then I previously thought and became obsessed. I'll be posting periodically to update where I am in the process and what I have came up with. here are a few pictures of my 2nd/3rd attempt at making the suit and its decent but no where near what I wanted or am capable of so down the rabbit hole I go. Feel free to comment or post up your own progress too. I will post progress but also the mechanisms I design and think up along with processes I've come up with to solve my problems or processes I find useful or helpful that I have borrowed from and where you can find them also for more information on them also.. AND WE'RE OFF!

-Thanks in advance to anyone I can't reply back too in a reasonable amount of time

Attachments

• Ipad May 12th 2017 786.JPG
    Ipad May 12th 2017 786.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 323
  • november 14th, 2017 034.JPG
    november 14th, 2017 034.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 283
  • november 14th, 2017 033.JPG
    november 14th, 2017 033.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 292
  • Ipad May 12th 2017 815.JPG
    Ipad May 12th 2017 815.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 927
  • Ipad May 12th 2017 813.JPG
    Ipad May 12th 2017 813.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 380
  • Ipad May 12th 2017 807.JPG
    Ipad May 12th 2017 807.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 298
  • Ipad May 12th 2017 806.JPG
    Ipad May 12th 2017 806.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 319
  • Ipad May 12th 2017 804.JPG
    Ipad May 12th 2017 804.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 324
  • Ipad May 12th 2017 793.JPG
    Ipad May 12th 2017 793.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 313
  • Ipad May 12th 2017 788.JPG
    Ipad May 12th 2017 788.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
for the Star Burst silicone areas around the star i drew out the angles and measures and matched them until i had a template i was happy with. sizing is always an issue because we're all not 6 foot 2 so i find it best to figure out the angles and go from there when making templates. i just used hot glue to make the actually Bursts because it is what i had at the time but i will eventually mold these from silicone. i have seen the abs done a few ways, mostly with the foam backing and i just dont like the way the look (even though they do look nice if you take your time.) anyways, i used a poly adhesive backing used for neck collars in shirts and made a set of abs that way that i really liked but they still didnt feel right and i kept feling like they heat pressed the abs. i went ahead and made a die set and decide to do some testing and the photos are below. i believe its finally the look i was going for and wanted. My plan is im going to have a buddy cnc a female and male die set i can use to make them accurately because the set i made was with plywood and a jig saw.. not bad for what it is but mdf computer cut will tighten everything up and give me some great looking pieces

Last edited:
I made some more sample abdominal pieces using a polyester fabric for ultility bags (blue) and another using like a vinyl material but flipping it inside out so the rubbery side would face in and the fabric weaive side faces out (grey). I used the same die set with a cavity and core made from plywood. Clamped the fabric down between the dies and then used the steam from an iron to form the fabric. Because the fabric is synthetic, it stretches and formed and holds the shape of the die. When I used cotton or stretch fabric, I had to water down silicone glue and paint it on the back of the fabric and then use my heat gun to dry it once it was pressed down between the two mold dies. I've also found by controlling the iron temperature and steam that I'm able to stop the warping, creasing, and seams because of lack of relief area for the material. Also going too hot will burn or even melt the synthetics. Dialing the iron in just right allowed me perfect pulls with no warping. I'm experimenting with back filling the fabric embossed pieces with silicone and fabric stabilizers now to see what it looks like and to try an stop the reverse push in that happens if the abs are pushed in on themselves. I'll throw up some more photos tonight when I get home but these are the few I had in my phone.<br><br>

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_2862.JPGIMG_2863.JPGIMG_2864.JPGIMG_2865.JPGIMG_2866.JPG

Last edited:
Hey love what you're doing with the project! I'm thinking of doing one myself, so seeing you do the costume as well is super inspiring!

Though, must ask, where did you get the template for the costume?

I made Some in the computer and some I used a tight shirt, marked a few places on myself and drew the suit onto it.. then cut up the shirt to get the pattern. I'll post the files I've made in the computer if it helps. I got the abs, star chest price and lower triangle done. It'll be later tonight though when I get to my computer. I'm working on a template for the shoulder rubber piece at the moment. It's an odd shape and then bent so I'm reverse engineering it a bit so when I sew it on it looks right

been overwhelmed by work.. good thing considering christmas is right around the corner but i'll post up some new photos when I get in tonight with the outline/templates that i have made

-M. Perillo

Following. I want to eventually get around to making the Captain America Infinity War suit before the film comes out so this will be VERY helpful as all I'll need to do is buy darker fabrics and eliminate the stars and logos.

-Ash

So I really wanted a Cap suit for the longest time and after making a shield I decided to just go for it.. I then realized sewing and costuming and replicating is way way WAY harder then I previously thought and became obsessed. I'll be posting periodically to update where I am in the process and what I have came up with. here are a few pictures of my 2nd/3rd attempt at making the suit and its decent but no where near what I wanted or am capable of so down the rabbit hole I go. Feel free to comment or post up your own progress too. I will post progress but also the mechanisms I design and think up along with processes I've come up with to solve my problems or processes I find useful or helpful that I have borrowed from and where you can find them also for more information on them also.. AND WE'RE OFF!

-Thanks in advance to anyone I can't reply back too in a reasonable amount of time

Hi hope this still gets replies. How does the vest close?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back