Replica Real Guns

JUSTINIAN

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Recently I started to take real handguns and make molds of them. From these molds I am able to produce very accurate resin copies. This thread is here to document my work.
I wanted to come up with a safe alternative to using airsoft / bb guns at conventions. Any type of gun that can fire a projectile is not allowed on any convention floor. I make these out of solid resin, so they are convention safe.

So far I have molded:

Glock 26
Glock 19/23
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
Smith & Wesson Model 36 (page 2)
Ruger Sexurity Six (page 2)
Glock 34 (page 2)
John Wick Glock 34 (page 2)

This list will be updated as I make more.

Last edited:
The first gun to be molded is the Glock 26.
This is the primary weapon of Black Widow, and the sidearm for John Wick.

Getting all of the cracks sealed up with clay was a very tedious process. Here is all of the clay work finished.
IMG_3081_zpsxycdvqsa.jpg

Here is the first copy. Notice that I molded both versions of the magazine plate. This allows it to be customized to fit the end users needs.
IMG_3091_zpsyouetfdm.jpg

I also made a blue training pistol for a local instructor.
IMG_3092_zpsifvyjcp4.jpg

And finally I have a few painted ones for my display wall. These are buffed with graphite powder to simulate the look of real blued steel. This makes them extremely realistic.
IMG_3120_zpsjoztpded.jpg

IMG_3119_zpstc7rhpph.jpg

Up next was a Glock 19. This is used by Jason Bourne and SHIELD Agent Maria Hill.

I couldn't get my hands on a Glock 19, but I was able to get a Glock 23. Both models are identical, but fire different calibers. The 19 fires a 9mm and the 23 fires a .40 cal. Aside from the markings, these are the same.

The first step was to do the clay work and built the box to contain the silicone.
IMG_3308_zpssnvb3jwp.jpg

Then there were copies. Gray, black and blue resin. I also started including the additional orange barrel tip with each kit.
IMG_3327_zpsle8cdryf.jpg

And then I had two finished ones for my personal display wall.
IMG_3329_zpsjjoygj5x.jpg

IMG_3325_zpsjhg0trk3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That takes the fun out of it, and those are not as clean or as accurate. Also, I am able to sell kits to fellow cosplayers and film studios.

Last edited:
The next gun to mold was the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield. This is not used by any major character, but it was available for me to use.

Here is one half of the silicone poured.
IMG_3297_zpswghzo809.jpg

The first grey casting. I really like all of the details on this one.
IMG_3349_zpsgkuatt5h.jpg

The gray, black and blue kits.
IMG_3360_zpsg3lqmqs0.jpg

And a finished one for my display wall.
IMG_3357_zpscgejzzay.jpg

IMG_3364_zpsgjwx4czn.jpg

IMG_3358_zpsdm90potm.jpg

IMG_3359_zpskl9cxt3s.jpg

Those look really good. One thing though: none of those (Glock, Shield) are supposed to be blued. It's a shame to get such crisp detail on it but the blued finish really puts it off.

Excellent work, congratulations !!!

If you come to make some revolver castings, I would be in for a good Colt Python 4" ;-)
That one is definitely on my list.
Have you considered casting these in hard rubber? I know some cons can get finicky about hard resin props.
I have tried rubber casting, and I'm not happy with the results. Too many pinholes in the surface, even when pressure cast.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back