ELILAY K's Baster build

Flyscriber

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,
I received a ELILAY K's blaster the other week.
Nice guys to deal with I must say. Nicely done ELILAY
On receipt of he kit there were a couple of issues.
The finish is excellent, nice and smooth with minimal clean up before paint etc. The barrels however had collapsed in the center as the resin had cured, making them point towards each other, which looked a bit Mr Magoo.
So I removed them and drilled out new holes, made some metal barrels in my lathe and glued them in using a guide to make them parallel.
The other main issue was the gun was bent by about 3mm to the right. I tried heating it up and slowly applying pressure to straighten it out, whist doing this it split along the rear of the barrel assembly,, which worked out great as I could then straighten it up by removing material and clamping before gluing together.
Most of these issues arnt really an issue if you want to leave them, but I handle my blasters all the time and the bend would have driven me crazy.
So all straight, It was time for sanding and prep. Most of he print lines were nonexistent which is a credit to whoever cleaned up the print before molding. So after some hours sanding I then gave it about 5 coats of gloss back automotive paint, wet sanding between each coat to get rid of any small print lines.
Then a Two Pack wet look basecoat ready for the Hydrochrome treatment. I had some chemicals hanging about from a Terminator Endoskeleton I fixed up earlier this year but it was close to its use by date which left a few marks here and there as well as the spray head freaking out after the first few sprays which concentrated the flow of the silver nitrate and overdid it in some areas. This makes it a little like a nickle finish which wouldn’t do for a true chrome look, but as this blaster will be close to black I don’t think it will be an issue.

So here it is after the chrome application.
chromed 1.jpg

Now after some latex masking and a coat of Tamia gun metal followed by a gloss black thin pass it looks like this. Obviously there is a lot more to do, but I think its looking great, as it has the same shine on the surfaces when the light hits it but looks almost black. The barrel is done in gloss black and is waiting for a couple of small scratches before the “vent/mesh” is painted. I’m looking forward to detailing the camera lens type mechanism next.
stage 2  2.jpgstage 2  1.jpgstage 2 normal lighting.jpg

Hey all,
I received a ELILAY K's blaster the other week..........

........Now after some latex masking and a coat of Tamia gun metal followed by a gloss black thin pass it looks like this. Obviously there is a lot more to do, but I think its looking great, as it has the same shine on the surfaces when the light hits it but looks almost black..........
Interesting painting method. Could you explain just briefly why the chrome then gloss gunmetal then black etc.?
First time I have seen this technique used..... What effect results and advantages etc.?
Thanks.....:confused

HI crater
You can see in the tested videos that the real gun has a highly reflective finish to it as Adam Savage waves it about and it catches the light. I tried it with alclad chrome look, which didn't work at all, it looked too dull. I tried some tamia chrome which looked a bit better when on, (that's used on the blasters in the junkyard) but I wanted to go the extra few yards and try something different.
I wanted to achieve a finish which looked like metal. So the chrome was the obvious choice for me, as I had it to hand from another project.
Because the gunmetal and black passes over the chrome are airbrushed translucent, they allow the reflected light to pass trough them giving a real shine to the gun when the light is at the correct angle, but when the light is oblique, the satin finish on the surface has no shine, so it looks like it pops from satin black with a hint of gun metal in the shade, to reflective at the right angle. Also the chipping on the edges of the detail appears to be real metal (because it is real silver deposited onto the surface) with a great shine at the right angle. Also it feel like metal, as the silver conducts heat from the hand making it feel cold.
We shall see if it has the right look after I've finished it off.
Hope this helps out.

more done today, almost there now.
Heres the blaster just waiting for me to make the final parts for the top of the grip. I think ill repaint the grips as I ran out of 3mm masking tape, and jumped to 6mm which I think is to large. so I'm off to get some 4mm which I think will be spot on for this version of the gun.
It really pops in the light now. I've tried to get images showing different lighting angles on the surfaces. Hope it come across ok.

More soon.
main small.jpg
x3.jpg
x2.jpg
here it is next to my old metal Sidkit
x5.jpgmain 4.jpgmain 3.jpg

H there, yes indeed I have a tip about carbon wrap. Don't use it, I don't think it works very well, as it needs to be shaped quite heavily over the grip and the seam always shows. This one is painted using airbrushes and masking and clearcoat. I did a double pass of 3mm fine line tape (used for car pin striping) which lets you curve it to match the contours, I made a grid pattern starting from the vertical line on the back of the grip, I then airbrushed a gun metal and silver shades and removed the masking. Then I masked another grid pattern over every square from the first mask ( the pinstriping tape is almost transparent which means you can easily spot the squares through the tape). I did it like this, as it means you don't need to cut the masking tape into small squares which saves a load of time, and it also means the alignment and shading of the paint on the second set of squares can be varied compared to the first which give a more natural weave like finish. Then a decent buffing using fine polishing paste (toothpaste works) to make the squares almost disappear when viewed at an angle. then a clear coat gloss or two.
I don't say this is the best way, but it worked for me.

Heres a video ive made just to finish off this thread nicely.

I must say it as a great kit to work on. Inspirational to the point of making me model an all metal version. Ill post a anew thread on that in a couple of weeks time.
Elilay did a superb job of making these kits, im looking forward to seeing what else comes out from him soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anytime you like Moet1919.
Im always available for custom paintwork .

QUOTE=Moet1919;4393215]Absolutely gorgeous!!! Love the video info. Looking forward in you painting the all metal version kit for me Andy.[/QUOTE]

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back