Rubber Han in Carbonite Help needed / Restoration Project

Droidboy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all...

I'm going to be helping a friend with his HIC project, but he has the rubber front piece that was sold on here at some point, and I have no idea how to work with that. The ones I've done in the past are fiberglass.

The main questions I have are:

1) How do you make the transition from the rubber to the wood base? In the past I've just done bondo between the box and the fiberglass. That won't work now.

2) Painting the rubber? I got nothing.

Many thanks!!

Gregg

Last edited:
Re: Rubber Han in Carbonite Help needed

I used flex-seal on mine. Worked fine, and I could later use regular spray paints on mine. As previously mentioned though, plasti-dip is another option :$

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

\

Thanks Alex! Do you have pics? I'd love to know more about the process.

Thanks Panaflex!

Any other tips out there?
I'll have to dig my old han parts out of storage sometime and take pics. I used flex seal on my 1/3 scale one and should be able to take some pics for you soon!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Search for the threads here.. many 'rubber' builds posted.

From what I recall (although do your own research as I could be mistaken) people just screwed it into the backing board.. and covered the holes with bondo/elmers glue during the 'build-up' stage.

Were those the Masked Rider project?

What sort of rubber? Is it Silicone or a Polyurethane? There are adhesives for both, but pretty much anything will glue the Polyurethane including superglue. If it Silicone, then no, you must source the proper adhesives.

What sort of rubber? Is it Silicone or a Polyurethane? There are adhesives for both, but pretty much anything will glue the Polyurethane including superglue. If it Silicone, then no, you must source the proper adhesives.

Gluing it down isn't the problem. I've got that, it's building up the transition.

The problem with this one is that most of the rubber HIC builds I've found only have the sculpted part in rubber, and the rest is pooled glue. This entire thing is rubber, so I have to not only glue it down (which is easy enough) but I also have to make a transition from the rubber sheet to the wood frame.

Hi. If you're talking about how to build it up a bit, my thread may help you: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=276027
Post #48 is where I start talking about the rubber front, and I think post #52 is where i cover how I built up the platform so there wouldn't be so much gap. If you have any questions feel free to post on that thread or PM me (i never did finish updating the thread with my finished product).

Polyeurethane sculpt will be affixed to your wood backing using liquil nail for that particular material. But you seem to be covered on that front.

Of course bondo is far from ideal for the transition. I used paintable caulking on mine and it worked wonders and was terribly cheap!

Check my build thread!

Hi. If you're talking about how to build it up a bit, my thread may help you: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=276027
Post #48 is where I start talking about the rubber front, and I think post #52 is where i cover how I built up the platform so there wouldn't be so much gap. If you have any questions feel free to post on that thread or PM me (i never did finish updating the thread with my finished product).

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!!

- - - Updated - - -

Check my build thread!

That is great! Makes me totally want to redo mine after I get my buddy's done.

I am doing this right now. I didn't think to use caulk. In hindsight, that is what I should have done. I filled in with Bondo, but the Bondo ended up pulling away from the rubber, so I used JB Plastic Putty Epoxy to fill the transition. I think caulk is the way to go.

Here is my progress thread on TDH:
https://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums/threads/clmayfield-making-my-hic.31013/

I'm meeting with my buddy tonight to start planning this work. Thanks for all the tips.

Alright.....Here we go.

I forgot to take pictures of what this looked like before I got it. The box is one of Zenix's boxes...and it was beautifully put together. I'm not sure who did the original Han front, but it's black rubber and I'm replacing it with the off white one below. I also have been tasked with making the recessed holes in the top and bottom fit in place.....along with just finishing it in general.

So far we've removed the original Han, cleaned up the bed it sits in, enlarged the bottom and top openings, and put back plates on the areas where the control panels go.

Once all of the body work is done for the openings, I'll move to installing Han. For the bottom and top parts...a hole has been cut to accept the bowls, and then I will cut a recess for the lips to sit in, I'll glue it in place...and the bondo it all flush.

20171206_171536.jpg20171206_171522.jpg20171211_171520.jpg20171211_182733.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back