Upside-down Kobold?

It looks like a hole to me b/c of the down-to-the-lower-right shadows.

If it were a red button switch, it would be casting a shadow in that direction as well.

DPgzoGRW0AUMTE2_.png

It looks like a hole to me b/c of the down-to-the-lower-right shadows.

If it were a red button switch, it would be casting a shadow in that direction as well.

View attachment 779717

Depends on what day it is and if it’s raining, some times I see a button. Others I see the hole, but I agree with ya. I think the black circle we are seeing is too large to be a button at this distance

I can only imagine what this still looks like in person...

It’s also things like this that make me wonder what still is kept secret and hasn’t been shown publicly

I’m a little wary of using the no shadow under the button as reason to believe it’s empty. The light seems diffuse enough where the button could be there without casting a shadow.

Regardless, My first instinct was that it was empty. But The more I looked, I now think it’s a button based on some of the highlights and shadows I’m seeing around it. It’s a tough one for sure but I’m leaning towards button at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Logic is suggesting to me that they "repaired" or reconstructed a Graflex for this moment. (since only the bottom tube completely is screen matched)

Then, seeing as they couldn't use Luke's Graflex for ROTJ, the V2 was decorated and readied for set instead.

Okay-- now that makes some sense. I kept asking why. If they had parts in a box and cobbled together a new hero for ROTJ (along with the Vader stunt) that might explain why changes were made.

Logic is suggesting to me that they "repaired" or reconstructed a Graflex for this moment. (since only the bottom tube completely is screen matched)

Then, seeing as they couldn't use Luke's Graflex for ROTJ, the V2 was decorated and readied for set instead.

except the V2 wasn't decorated or readied... it was just used as-is.

except the V2 wasn't decorated or readied... it was just used as-is.
Am I correct that only the Shared Stunt was rigged for fighting post ANH? The V2 seems more like a belt hanger with that knurled chunk and just the cut-off rod holding the emitter on.

*not trying to derail the thread*

Am I correct that only the Shared Stunt was rigged for fighting post ANH? The V2 seems more like a belt hanger with that knurled chunk and just the cut-off rod holding the emitter on.

*not trying to derail the thread*

No worry’s about derailing, I did that pages ago!

When u say shared stunt do u mean v3?

Tom/Seth, maybe what I’m about to say is exactly what you’re already saying and I’m just misunderstanding, so apologies in advance if that’s the case. .

We know the bottom of the dagobah and the ranch are a match per Gino. And though Gino isn’t sure, i think he said it seems less likely the top is different.

Isn’t the most simple explanation then that the ending Dagobah Saber was left intact after filming, they grabbed it for ROTJ and after it was rejected, it ultimately became what we now call the ranch saber? And somewhere in between filming Dagobah and showing up on the ROTJ set, the clip broke and was repaired “wrong” in its flipped orientation.

It seems easier to swallow that it’s all the same item with one piece being damaged and fixed- than a full rebuild or even a mishmash of parts.. Again, if this is exactly what you both are already saying, my apologies, I just interpreted it differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s pretty much exactly what I’m imagining. It covers the matching grips, the different top, and says why the Kobold might be flipped if it was a rehab for ROTJ since in ESB they seemed to have had correct parts to swap in.

No way to ever know for sure of course.

The way I understood it was that they never intended to use a graflex for Luke in ROTJ, so not sure why that saber ended up on set.
The reason the Luke ROTJ looks the way it does is because it's intent was to look like obi wan's saber built out of parts from his abandoned hut.
So in effect the Luke ROTJ is the prop department's attempt at a replica Obi Wan ANH (with some new artistic liberties).

The way I understood it was that they never intended to use a graflex for Luke in ROTJ, so not sure why that saber ended up on set.
The reason the Luke ROTJ looks the way it does is because it's intent was to look like obi wan's saber built out of parts from his abandoned hut.
So in effect the Luke ROTJ is the prop department's attempt at a replica Obi Wan ANH (with some new artistic liberties).

I was very happy to see the casting in wired magazine that had a graflex clamp pushed up and the pommel rotated to sit in line with the clamp box. Those details ended up on the rotj hero.

Seth, weren’t you just showing in another thread concept art of Luke with the Graflex for ROTJ? I mean, I suppose concept art isn’t proof of intent, but between that and the photo of it on set, I’m still a little skeptical the V2 and it’s eventual reasoning wasn’t a last minute decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's one of those things we'll just never know.

I thought the Luke using Obi-Wan parts was something that came up in Shadows of the Empire. Palpatine even remarked it was "much like your father's" even though it totally wasn't.

Since there was no need for anything but a belt-hanger in the sandstorm scene, the Graflex being there implies a mistake was made. Maybe they had the plan for the new saber and the prop guy grabbed the wrong thing? Maybe they just assumed Luke would have the same one and didn't think it over.

The very fact that a recycled stunt was used as a belt hanger tells me that regardless of intent or plans, giving Luke a new original lightsaber was something that didn't have the same level of intent and focus that Lucas and Roger Christian had over the Graflex for ANH. That's the only thing I'm comfortable saying with any certainty. The fact a true hero wasn't even made until after principle photography had wrapped leans to this as well.

The fact a true hero wasn't even made until after principle photography had wrapped leans to this as well.
for a moment I was wondering why this didn't count. I get it now :lol
Yuma4.jpg

I've run into problems before where the only screws I had were too short. The Kobold being flipped upside down solves that problem pretty well.

I do want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. My original interest really started with a fascination with the ranch saber and trying to understand more about its details and its history.

I feel very good about having a “close as can be” answer to that question now and it’s most certainly thanks to contributions, expertise and knowledge of everyone here. So thanks all, very cool stuff.

And obviously keep the thread going in whatever direction it continues to evolve. Just wanted to say my own personal thanks. Cheers.

I’m back! What did I miss?! Tom beautiful pic! MS, you got me still hunting kobold flip pics!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back