Upside-down Kobold?

Yep that is true - he also wears a newly made ANH style belt for that shoot.

so is the saber a photoshop job or the real deal?

- - - Updated - - -

heres a decent one

latest

So it’s been confirmed they photo shopped the dagobah saber over it! Dang!

Roy, don’t tease me! Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know if I should continue to post about the grip screws here? If I’m really derailing this thread MS, I’ll remove it

But i has to go to the hardware store yesterday. I grabbed their smallest screws. I was able to put them side by side with roys grips today and they are way too big...

Roy’s grips I mic in almost 4mm, the screw is just about that

56386edc62a0d64d2a690547e90923b0.jpg

3e2ca4c826873bf3c9168e9d1219361b.jpg

Looks like hardware stores aren’t going to carry something this small... when I saw them in the shelf I figured they were going to be too small... come to find out I think it’s the opposite

It’s so hard to buy little screws and bits and bops online because you can’t really tell the size... I may try McMaster. I’ll keep you all posted on my screw hunt

I used screws that came with a vintage solder-less connection set called Omni-grips. (it was a spring and bracket you could pinch leads into)

The screws were almost exactly that size and I put them in a drill press and filed the heads down about .5 mm

No sweat Halliwax. let the thread wander in whatever direction it goes! Besides, the stuff with the screws is really just a continuation of what was eventually uncovered, so it seems entirely relevant to me regardless.

I used screws that came with a vintage solder-less connection set called Omni-grips. (it was a spring and bracket you could pinch leads into)

The screws were almost exactly that size and I put them in a drill press and filed the heads down about .5 mm

I’ve been playing in my work shed... looking at the screws on the Vader saber, theses 4mm screws may work (I need to get the pan head version)

Shaving then down is a excellent idea tom.

On the ROTJ pic-- is the button there ESB style, or is that just a hole where the glass eye goes (which matches the ranch)?

Isn’t that a bug out Seth?! I’m dying to hear what everyone thinks. Sometimes I see a red button, sometimes a see a empty hole

I'm pretty sure that's a button but there WAS a button there back then. Only recently did a museum or someone from lucasfilm put it back in the correct spot under the bunny ears.

looks like a warped almost triangular D ring, is the ranch saber's that warped?

The D ring in the ROTJ shot does look suspiciously similar to the D ring in Gino’s b/w picture and therefore the same as the ranch saber.

Ive never actually seen this picture this closeup before. Is this clip in the usual configuration still? I can’t believe I’m even saying this again but those ends look suspicious to me. I can see the two ends of the clip - shouldn’t we see the connecting piece at that angle?
387A63E9-7B72-4A37-9B85-2658C7375E7E.jpeg

The D ring in the ROTJ shot does look suspiciously similar to the D ring in Gino’s b/w picture and therefore the same as the ranch saber.

Ive never actually seen this picture this closeup before. Is this clip in the usual configuration still? I can’t believe I’m even saying this again but those ends look suspicious to me. I can see the two ends of the clip - shouldn’t we see the connecting piece at that angle?
View attachment 779629

BINGO!!!!!!

I didn’t want to say anything, because I didn’t want to give the whole “placebo effect”

But MS when I saw that kobold I thought of you right away! I agree with you on that!!!

Sure does look like it’s flipped no?!?!

I have a new theory on why it’s flipped

Maybe they didn’t flip it by accident.

For some strange reason they worked on it, whether it be it broke, or something I don’t know

But who’s to say they didn’t have rivets handy, but some short machine screws on hand

Screws that are too short to bolt the kobold down in the standard why. So they flipped the kobold in order to use the short screws they had on hand?

BINGO!!!!!!

I didn’t want to say anything, because I didn’t want to give the whole “placebo effect”

But MS when I saw that kobold I thought of you right away! I agree with you on that!!!

Sure does look like it’s flipped no?!?!

Oh man, though I do think it’s an intriguing possibility, I’m just thrilled at least one other person even sees it, even if it does end up being another illusion!

I'm pretty sure that's a button but there WAS a button there back then. Only recently did a museum or someone from lucasfilm put it back in the correct spot under the bunny ears.

looks like a warped almost triangular D ring, is the ranch saber's that warped?

It’s funny Tom, I had the same descriptor in my head about this D ring - triangular. Sort of interesting that only a short while later we ended up with the ROTJ Hero with an actual triangular D ring. (And yes, I do know the V2 came first with its standard D ring).

I’d say it’s very much likely to be coincidence, but hey, I suppose there is a small chance someone may have been consciously or subconsciously inspired by this when it came time for some new touches on the Hero.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back