TFA Falcon Question

BruGaleen

Just a casual question, something I've been wondering about. Aside from the obvious radar dish, are there any other significant differences between the TFA Falcon and the OT versions? I know everything in TFA was CGI (or at least most of it was), but I've always been a bit curious about that. Anybody have any dirt on this? Once again, just wondering. Thanks for reading. :)

There was quite a bit of detailing added to the engine array.

The descriptions that I have read about it talk about how it is an amalgamation of both of the different versions of the falcon. Taking the best parts of them all and mixing them into what we have now.

There was more greeblie-ing than any of the OT Falcons.

It didn't really violate the look of the originals from 20 feet away. But it resolved to smaller details the closer you got to it.

The main difference aside from the radar dish are the 2 service bays beside the landing gear boxes on the underside,....the original ANH Falcon didn't have these two boxes,

View attachment 5-footer Falcon Bottom View (Crackerjazz Crayola) Ps'd.jpg

, but for ESB they were added (in green) covering most of the 2 service bays....so the original model was modified to move the service bays further out on the belly of the ship (in red)

View attachment 5-footer Falcon Bottom View (Crackerjazz Crayola) Ps'd copy.jpg

....So now for the new digital Falcon for The Force Awakens.....the 2 bays have been made symmetrical,...moved further out...& have mirrored greeblies inside them.
Heres the Bandai 1/144 model which shows the placing & mirrored details perfectly

65dc1bcfc1f104c0f648ce2746948aa9.jpg

J

Not sure this affects anything relating to modeling, but there's something about the lower gun that's different as well. In the OT, the gun had a 2-axis system achieved by swiveling between the support arms and pivoting around the central support tube for those support arms. In TFA, that central support tube no longer has its axis "fixed" in the scene where Finn is getting acclimated to it, but seems to operate normally when he's firing. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it kinda drives me nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_OSeRxhGOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sarFZJl3h0

Aren't the guns in TFA totally new guns? They are certainly not the OT guns, are they? Those hung from the top whereas TFA guns are mounted from the bottom.

Yet the model has the same mounting system for them. Is the interior tube just turned? Does the ladder tube (for lack of a better name) spin or something? I've always wondered about that because from the direction Luke and Han get on to the ladder and shimmy into the chairs, they would not line up with the guns.

Last edited:
In terms of the CGI model... it's fundamentally based on the 5 foot model. But a bunch of stuff has little changes reflecting the passage of time and crude slapdash repair jobs. So the sidewall greeblies are mostly totally different with extra piping, the circular pits have additional pipes and stuff in them, there are the mirrored and enlarged undersaucer maintenance pits that Jaitea mentions, the guns look a bit different, the cockpit tube side has the sort of L-shaped panel detail from the 32" model, the octagonal upper saucer pit has extra pipes, the docking ring discs have additional detailing, the rear engine grille has wider spacing than the SE grille, the engine area has new internal deflectors or nozzles.

And then there's the bowtie radar dish, obviously. :)

Aren't the guns in TFA totally new guns? They are certainly not the OT guns, are they? Those hung from the top whereas TFA guns are mounted from the bottom.

Yet the model has the same mounting system for them. Is the interior tube just turned? Does the ladder tube (for lack of a better name) spin or something? I've always wondered about that because from the direction Luke and Han get on to the ladder and shimmy into the chairs, they would not line up with the guns.

It's all pretty confusing (to me). The TFA cutaway book mentions the top and bottom "caps" (for lack of a better word) that contain the guns and gun window, now rotate; which can lead to the situation in TFA, where the window is (briefly) shown to the rear of center. But even so, the orientation of the gunner's position in relation to the gun would always have to be the same as in ANH, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see out the window (i.e., to have the guns appear from the "bottom" of the window, the whole gunner's station internally would have to be flipped 180 degrees, which makes no sense).

I can only see this as either a screw-up, a reimagining for camera footage's sake (bad), or a re-engineering of the gun setup, which is also bad, but I could at least get behind if there was something to back it up...but I can't find it. Help?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back