Scarface puppet

Temperance

I'll admit something: I actually have a terrible fear of ventriloquist puppets... but at the same time, I have a real fascination for them. I had to do a lot of scary research to get the details for Scarface >_<

His head I sculpted out of clay. Everyone draws him a little different in the comics, so I went for more of the Batman Animated series look - but I reduced his chubby cheeks a bit. Silicone mold was made and I slush cast some copies. The eyes, jaw and back panel hinge were dremmelled out so the interior workings could be installed.
I didn't want to go too overboard, so I decided just to try a moving jaw puppet and avoid making the more complex moving eyes and eyebrows variety (maybe next time).

C9oOJN_UwAEVVDB.jpgC9oOJOGVoAAQUjW.jpgC9oOJOHVwAEOIKd.jpgC-nQDx7UMAA99Pt.jpg large.jpgC-ru7OeUAAA1P_-.jpg large.jpg

His eyes were made with a pingpong ball cut in half. The jaw hinge mechanism is really just a simple work of springs and pulleys. The jaw is installed on a bar which is epoxied into the head cavity. A spring is mounted into the base to keep it closed, then a string and pulley is added with a simple trigger. The trigger pulls the jaw down and the spring snaps the mouth closed again.

C-w-mnfUwAEAS0z.jpg_DSC0563.JPG

The puppet body was purchased from Braylu Creations (http://www.braylu.com/). I got the T2 Set A kit which included the wooden frame, arms with hands, legs and the basic control rod base (which needed to be modded to add the trigger and install to the head. Ventriloquist dummies tend to come in sizes T2 and T3 which correlate to toddler clothing sizes - so a T2 body will fit T2 sized children's clothes. This was a godsend, since it meant I didn;t have to sew or alter some tiny children's clothes. I used good-ole ebay to find a cute toddler suit (I would recommend searching for Wedding/ring bearer clothing to sift through a mountain of useless baby clothes). The hat was a trilby I found at a children's clothing store. The shoes were actually the hardest to find; I managed to find a decent pair at a shoe store after months of digging; they seem to be seasonal.
C04TEYjUAAAjJnn.jpgC3bzYa2VYAEI7Tz.jpgC9abqkXUAAAusv8.jpg

Scarface isn't scarface without a little tommy gun. I tried really hard to find a child's plastic tommy gun, but they are getting harder and harder to come by nowadays. Eventually I gave up and made a foam copy. I had to size it down to puppet size so it fit in his little hands. Once painted it actually looked pretty cool!
C_-77BQVoAAqeUV.jpgC_LjKNMU0AArFFy.jpg

Because I'm no ventriloquist, I asked my electronically savvy husband to help me make a little voice box for Scarface. I pulled some sound clips from the Batman animated TV show, and we made a push button sound trigger device which I installed in Scarface's chest. We used Adafruit's FX soundboard because it was the most user friendly and small: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2133
I then zip tied the system into his body cavity. I placed the buttons as close to my hand as possible so I could push them and manipulate the mouth at the same time.
C_kybAsUIAAtKm3.jpg
[video]https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/884224228676915200[/video]

Now we're ready to wreak havok on Gotham
_DSC0532sm.jpg21752044_1312383532206414_7154638187032844251_n.jpg36920733422_bfdd64911b_o.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC0547.JPG
    _DSC0547.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 633
  • _DSC0552.JPG
    _DSC0552.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 3,473
That's awesome! It great to see a less common Batman (prop) villain.It really came out well. The Tommy gun is excellent, very convincing!

Wonderful job!

However, I was a tad bit disappointed not to see a mini Tony Montana when I clicked on the thread...

Scarface isn't scarface without a little tommy gun. I tried really hard to find a child's plastic tommy gun, but they are getting harder and harder to come by nowadays. Eventually I gave up and made a foam copy. I had to size it down to puppet size so it fit in his little hands. Once painted it actually looked pretty cool!
View attachment 775525View attachment 775526

Because I'm no ventriloquist, I asked my electronically savvy husband to help me make a little voice box for Scarface. I pulled some sound clips from the Batman animated TV show, and we made a push button sound trigger device which I installed in Scarface's chest. We used Adafruit's FX soundboard because it was the most user friendly and small: Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board - WAV/OGG Trigger with 2MB Flash
I then zip tied the system into his body cavity. I placed the buttons as close to my hand as possible so I could push them and manipulate the mouth at the same time.
View attachment 775528
[video]https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/884224228676915200[/video]

Now we're ready to wreak havok on Gotham
View attachment 775529View attachment 775532View attachment 775533
Btw there is someone messaging people saying they made this puppet trying to rip people off just letting u know.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back