Kylo Ren’s Lightsaber

Kenzie C01

I have yet to encounter a definitive thread dedicated specifically to research Kylo’s saber, and I have been doing research for my own project and thought that I should document it. I have a lot to add, but for now I’ll just note my findings on TLJ differences.

First off, the paint scheme seems to be more subdued, with more black. The TFA version from the Wired photos had a lot of silver details, and TLJ variant seems to be all black except some chipped paint, especially in the areas that in the TFA version were solid silver. I first noticed this on the Disney Parks Kylo FX saber, but it matches the promotional posters.
1b25f7837e488dc959b5f71847e97a7e.jpg
3fe39567ee41f46cea1f9a354145c7c4.png
e2551ce3e60cbedd9e2f6d0c2c375cc5.png
(not sure where I found the pic of the Disney Parks saber but I didn’t take it)
The second difference I saw was in the wire clips. It is clearly visible in the last picture that the wire clips are shaped differently, with a sort of step in them, while the TFA saber was slanted but straight on the edges. The promo pics for the Propshop saber follow the TFA clip style, but most production ones seem to have the new clip.
64f3121701223cf805166831744a4df0.jpg
b9b2c10b1dae697769f7b341afb5a609.jpg
second photo is of the promo saber, which has the same scratch marks and lack of clear plastic greeblie, so it can be identified as the same saber from the promo photos:
b1a319caf687161e4f81b63c2a430ad8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the Kylo saber as it appears in the new TLJ poster:
https://i.imgur.com/3wb8ygk.png

I still say it's been photoshopped rather than it being a painting.

I’m inclined to agree that picture has been manipulated in photoshop.

The colored scoring on the quillons looks like it’s undergoing posterization, which usually indicates the image is getting stretched to its limit from some sort of manipulation.

The edges of the saber are also very sharp which makes me think it was masked and copied from another image onto this one and possibly even enlarged at the same time which would blur some detail. May have even run it through a filter to give it a more drawing/painting type feel.

On a personal note, I know that if I photoshop something out of an image it’s because it’s a distracting or extraneous element to the message I’m trying to convey in the picture. It’s possible the artist thought the extra scratches and dents were too much detail when the bigger picture was the message - i.e., Kylo’s saber, red background, long shadow = villainy.

this, of course, is just my personal opinion. I like the thread though! [emoji3]

Ok, I’ve got some stuff to add. I have been upgrading Gucabe’s KR CNC V1 files because he hasn’t released the V2 files yet, and I think my upgraded parts are more accurate, at least in the (emitter section) albeit much more sloppy and unorganized. I only know how to model solids, not meshes, so I kind of just built on top of the meshes and deleted parts accordingly. I will post pictures of this later, but basically I remodeled the core, made the whole top section bigger, and made everything connect with coupler pieces instead of threads. I included some of the details I noticed for TLJ saber specifically, but I felt that I couldn’t fix everything I wanted to with my current minimal modeling skills. I would like to fix the emitter cutout shape, and reshape the pommel. That aside, the differences I noticed were...

The different kind of wire clip I noticed was not present in TLJ, except on the closeup when he picks up the hilt (same in the trailer). This promo saber has a different cutout shape, it doesn’t go into the raised shape that is on both sides and wraps around the back. The next difference is a little wedge-shaped greeblie in the vents, visible in the emitter core. The 2 c-shaped details that are on either side emitter are only the c parts, unlike the TFA version which seemed to connect all the way to the middle (and like the similar greeblie facing up in the main emitter). These pics are from a member on the KOR FB group, and a the first is mine from the visual dictionary.
7afba97f17e2cf9f7b91f4a3fa90419a.jpg
f86999e440407b01d5ccc0b04c3ddc04.jpg
6f232cdc90449ac473705c835fecdccc.jpg

Ok, I’ve got some stuff to add. I have been upgrading Gucabe’s KR CNC V1 files because he hasn’t released the V2 files yet, and I think my upgraded parts are more accurate, at least in the (emitter section) albeit much more sloppy and unorganized. I only know how to model solids, not meshes, so I kind of just built on top of the meshes and deleted parts accordingly. I will post pictures of this later, but basically I remodeled the core, made the whole top section bigger, and made everything connect with coupler pieces instead of threads. I included some of the details I noticed for TLJ saber specifically, but I felt that I couldn’t fix everything I wanted to with my current minimal modeling skills. I would like to fix the emitter cutout shape, and reshape the pommel. That aside, the differences I noticed were...

The different kind of wire clip I noticed was not present in TLJ, except on the closeup when he picks up the hilt (same in the trailer). This promo saber has a different cutout shape, it doesn’t go into the raised shape that is on both sides and wraps around the back. The next difference is a little wedge-shaped greeblie in the vents, visible in the emitter core. The 2 c-shaped details that are on either side emitter are only the c parts, unlike the TFA version which seemed to connect all the way to the middle (and like the similar greeblie facing up in the main emitter). These pics are from a member on the KOR FB group, and a the first is mine from the visual dictionary. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171225/7afba97f17e2cf9f7b91f4a3fa90419a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171225/f86999e440407b01d5ccc0b04c3ddc04.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171225/6f232cdc90449ac473705c835fecdccc.jpg

Real great comparisons!!!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back