Bandai Perfect Grade 1/72nd Millennium Falcon - Rear cockpit wall - IMPROVEMENTS!

cking

Sr Member
Hi guys,

The truly superb Bandai 1/72nd Perfect Grade Falcon is now upon us and people are already doing some incredible work on the exterior paintjobs and detailing of the ship.
I really want to get some improvement made to what is quite frankly an "average" decal that Bandai have supplied for the rear wall of the cockpit. It seems like nobody is having any real success with this yet. The sculpted detail on the rear wall is nice but it pretty much makes using the decal impossible because no matter how much Micro-Set and Micro-Sol is used, the decal will not conform correctly around the sculpted details.

I'm thinking that the sculpted details should be removed and a better quality decal should be used on the panel.

The excellent "Haynes Owners Manual for the Millennium Falcon" book has an awesome graphic for the rear wall (I think it was done by Chris Trevas). I'd like to try and get a waterslide decal of this by scanning the book, removing the numbers from the panel and then scaling it to the correct size for printing.

Millennium-Falcon-Owners-Manual.jpg

Alternatively, would Stevestarkiller or Maruska be willing to create a true elevation of the rear wall panel from their awesome 3d models of the ANH cockpit interior which could then be scaled to the correct size for printing as a decal?

I think that there would be a demand for a decent quality and accurate rear wall decal which has been scaled to the size to fit the Bandai kit part.

Come on guys. Let's get this done.

My Falcon needs an accurate rear wall!!!

Chris

Last edited:
Hi guys,

The truly superb Bandai 1/72nd Perfect Grade Falcon is now upon us and people are already doing some incredible work on the exterior paintjobs and detailing of the ship.
I really want to get some improvement made to what is quite frankly an "average" decal that Bandai have supplied for the rear wall of the cockpit. It seems like nobody is having any real success with this yet. The sculpted detail on the rear wall is nice but it pretty much makes using the decal impossible because no matter how much Micro-Set and Micro-Sol is used, the decal will not conform correctly around the sculpted details.

I'm thinking that the sculpted details should be removed and a better quality decal should be used on the panel.

The excellent "Haynes Owners Manual for the Millennium Falcon" book has an awesome graphic for the rear wall (I think it was done by Chris Trevas). I'd like to try and get a waterslide decal of this by scanning the book, removing the numbers from the panel and then scaling it to the correct size for printing.

View attachment 775434

Alternatively, would Stevestarkiller or Maruska be willing to create a true elevation of the rear wall panel from their awesome 3d models of the ANH cockpit interior which could then be scaled to the correct size for printing as a decal?

I think that there would be a demand for a decent quality and accurate rear wall decal which has been scaled to the size to fit the Bandai kit part.

Come on guys. Let's get this done.

My Falcon needs an accurate rear wall!!!

Chris
What I'm hoping for is a 3-d printed wall with holes in it for back-lighting. I can even use gels to colour some of the coloured lights

The Haynes graphic is based on the ESB look, though. Maruska and Steve have both done accurate ANH-era CG models.

I was thinking of cutting out a new back wall from a clear CD case and applying the decal to that. Then it can be lit from behind. If it works great! If not then I’ll paint the kit part. Thoughts?

The perfect solution could be a printed photoetch wall, like
plane cockpit panels made by Eduard, with holes for backlight, like this:
86FD3FED-9E99-4258-9779-970E90252066.jpeg

Not much, those p.e. range between 10 to 20 euros, but needs that someone put it into production.
Considering the selling success of the Perfect Grade Falcon kit, I hope we will see soon some aftermarket parts. That’s why I’m in no hurry to start building mine...

Same here. Paragraphix or Green Strawberries will surely create a cockpit photoetch set. All they really need to do is rescale one of their existing sets and 90% of the work is done.

But will it be the ANH cockpit rear wall? I'd love it if SteveStarkiller or Maruska would be able to provide a true elevation of their superb rear wall panels to either of those photoetch guys. It would be an amazing upgrade to the poor decal that Bandai provided.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Same here. Paragraphix or Green Strawberries will surely create a cockpit photoetch set. All they really need to do is rescale one of their existing sets and 90% of the work is done.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back