Pixar's Coco (Post-release)

To go on what @dascoyne said about Asian families, I can tell you that, as an Asian as well, he(?) is 100% correct. Asian traditions, as far as family traditions, do tend to be very similar to Hispanic/Latin family traditions in as far with both family is very important along with respecting one's elders. There's a reason why you see so many Asians attending a lot of top colleges like UCLA, USC, Berkley, UCI, and the Ivy Leagues and it's because we, as a group, greatly value the power of a good education and so we are pressured to get good grades and go to a good college throughout our childhoods. Once we get into college we're expected to continue to study hard and major in either law, medicine, or engineering; nothing else will suffice.

So, an Asian, there was a lot to Coco that I could relate to and rang true to me knowing the similarities in our culture. Most Asian families would apply pressure to their children to not pursue the arts as a career choice, to many Asian immigrant families there are only 3 suitable jobs for their children and that's to be either a doctor, lawyer, or engineer, period. I'm sure that more than one Asian parent saw what Miguel's mom did with his guitar as a just and appropriate action, they wouldn't have enjoyed it but they would definitely feel that it was completely justified and for the child's own good.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back