Subscribe
  1. RPF Staff Vivek's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    India
    Messages
    6,436
    Nov 22, 2017, 10:31 PM - Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #1

  2. RPF Premium Member JoeG's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Messages
    2,338
    Nov 23, 2017, 8:38 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #2

    Just got back from seeing this. Absolutely loved it. An incredibly moving film. Maybe because I share a cultural heritage with this film is why it moved me so much, but its so great that I think anyone would be able to enjoy it.
  3. RPF Premium Member brandomack's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2010
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    Messages
    1,861
    Nov 24, 2017, 12:28 AM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #3

    Was it better than Book of Life? Because that movie was awesome.
  4. darth_myeek's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Messages
    4,437
    Nov 25, 2017, 9:47 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #4

    A somewhat predictable storyline, with solid animation and decent character chemistry. I enjoyed it, but wish I heard more guitar work.

    There was a little weirdness with how the film was presented. One being a hellaciously awful ~30 minute made for TV Disney Frozen “holiday special” which was substituted for the higher caliber Pixar animated short. So bad, 8-10 target marketed kids actually left for drink refills.

    Other oddities being an out of place spoken presentation from the Coco film makers. It started with BTS DVD extras pointing out how laborious the city animation work was and ended sadly with them thanking the audience for coming. No, it isn’t sad to thank the audience, but it seemed sad in the wake of recent news events.

    I seriously hope Disney never pulls that short Disney Princess/Pixar side cross-contamination crap again on another Pixar release. I liked Frozen, but that short was a visual crime compared to Day&Night, La Luna, Partly Cloudy, etc.
  5. harrisonp's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2014
    From
    Orlando, FL
    Messages
    716
    Nov 29, 2017, 2:26 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #5

    I loved it, my wife and I were in tears by the end of it, probably the only Pixar movie that has actually done that to me. Frozen can take a hike but I'm sure that point is moot.
  6. Axlotl's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2001
    Messages
    2,701
    Nov 29, 2017, 4:33 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #6

    brandomack said: View Post
    Was it better than Book of Life? Because that movie was awesome.
    Yah, I can't get excited for this movie at all, because I feel like I've already seen it.
  7. RPF Premium Member JoeG's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Messages
    2,338
    Nov 29, 2017, 6:36 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #7

    Other than the Day of the Dead thing, I don't see the connection with Book of Life. Totally different stories. Its like saying all movies that take place in NYC are the same.
  8. But You Can Call Me Rich RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Messages
    11,668
    Dec 2, 2017, 7:40 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #8

    darth_myeek said: View Post
    A somewhat predictable storyline, with solid animation and decent character chemistry. I enjoyed it, but wish I heard more guitar work.

    There was a little weirdness with how the film was presented. One being a hellaciously awful ~30 minute made for TV Disney Frozen “holiday special” which was substituted for the higher caliber Pixar animated short. So bad, 8-10 target marketed kids actually left for drink refills.

    Other oddities being an out of place spoken presentation from the Coco film makers. It started with BTS DVD extras pointing out how laborious the city animation work was and ended sadly with them thanking the audience for coming. No, it isn’t sad to thank the audience, but it seemed sad in the wake of recent news events.

    I seriously hope Disney never pulls that short Disney Princess/Pixar side cross-contamination crap again on another Pixar release. I liked Frozen, but that short was a visual crime compared to Day&Night, La Luna, Partly Cloudy, etc.
    Disney has removed the Olaf short!
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.exp...-Let-It-Go/amp
  9. darth_myeek's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Messages
    4,437
    Dec 2, 2017, 8:21 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #9

    Oh man that is great news! Thanks, MovieFreak!

    I am glad Disney can react in real time. That really speaks well for Disney. The storyline/dialogue seemed like a real rush job.

    Also wanted to mention in the middle of the Olaf short, Gad absolutely kills a musical number. I hope Disney releases that song.

    Anyway, this is great news, thanks!
  10. Lord of the Couch RPF Premium Member dbuck's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2006
    From
    california
    Messages
    2,310
    Dec 2, 2017, 9:16 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #10

    My granddaughter loves frozen but I wasn't going to take her to see this and turn the evening into a two and half hour plus marathon. Now perhaps the wife and I will take her.
  11. Riceball's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    From
    Walnut, CA
    Messages
    4,410
    Dec 4, 2017, 12:44 AM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #11

    JoeG said: View Post
    Other than the Day of the Dead thing, I don't see the connection with Book of Life. Totally different stories. Its like saying all movies that take place in NYC are the same.
    Agreed, aside from the setting the two movies have nothing else in common. The stories are completely different, where as The Book of Life was a love story, Coco is about family and doing what you love.

    I'd strongly recommend setting aside any pre-conceived notions about Coco because of its visual similarity to BoL and just go see it, I doubt you'll be disappointed. My wife and I went to see it Friday because my brother-in-law invited and we previously had no real interesting seeing based on what was shown in the trailer but we came away totally loving it. It was a beautifully animated movie with a wonderful that was very touching and if you somehow manage to come away from it completely dried eyed then you're just not human and are probably the same kind of person who watched Up and didn't get the least bit misty eyed at the beginning.

    - - - Updated - - -

    darth_myeek said: View Post
    Oh man that is great news! Thanks, MovieFreak!

    I am glad Disney can react in real time. That really speaks well for Disney. The storyline/dialogue seemed like a real rush job.

    Also wanted to mention in the middle of the Olaf short, Gad absolutely kills a musical number. I hope Disney releases that song.

    Anyway, this is great news, thanks!
    I'm glad too that Disney is removing the Frozen "short" from the beginning of Coco, that was one long "short", way too longk, in my opinion. Watching it I was ready for it to be over by the end of the first act where Elsa & Anna ring the bell.
  12. Enigmatic's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Messages
    156
    Dec 4, 2017, 12:57 AM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #12

    Moviefreak said: View Post
    I wish I had known this before I took my kids to see Coco today. All they did during the short was ask "Dad, when is Coco coming on?". I would have totally waited until after December 8th had I known about this unbearable short film.
  13. RPF Premium Member astroboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2010
    Messages
    4,894
    Dec 4, 2017, 1:10 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #13

    Coco is definitely my favorite pixar film. No question.
  14. Member Since
    Oct 2017
    Messages
    19
    Dec 9, 2017, 3:40 AM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #14

    Movie of year. Had to fight water coming out my eyes
  15. RPF Premium Member astroboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2010
    Messages
    4,894
    Dec 9, 2017, 11:20 AM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #15

    Yeah. I have nothing to say about this film except that it's amazing.

    And I normally hate pixar stuff.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
  16. jarvis's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Ok
    Messages
    540
    Dec 9, 2017, 4:06 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #16

    I was disappointed.
    I thought it was utterly bland and predictable.
    They had so much rich culture to work with which made it all the more frustrating that pretty much everything, from design work to the plot and characters, were so dull and dephtless.

    The plot was so very Disney paint-by-numbers that it started to feel like a chore about half way through. By the time they got to the mysterious patronage cliche' reveal (which was so painfully obvious) I was past ready for it to be over. My eyes were just about rolling by the end, and they may as well had "CRY NOW" flashing on the screen it was such heavy handed emotional manipulation.

    The Book of Life was by no means perfect, but in comparison, COCO is as soulless as someone left off the ofrenda.
  17. blakeh1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    Messages
    2,313
    Dec 13, 2017, 11:38 AM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #17

    brandomack said: View Post
    Was it better than Book of Life? Because that movie was awesome.
    JoeG said: View Post
    Other than the Day of the Dead thing, I don't see the connection with Book of Life. Totally different stories. Its like saying all movies that take place in NYC are the same.
    Riceball said: View Post
    Agreed, aside from the setting the two movies have nothing else in common. The stories are completely different, where as The Book of Life was a love story, Coco is about family and doing what you love.

    I'd strongly recommend setting aside any pre-conceived notions about Coco because of its visual similarity to BoL and just go see it, I doubt you'll be disappointed. My wife and I went to see it Friday because my brother-in-law invited and we previously had no real interesting seeing based on what was shown in the trailer but we came away totally loving it. It was a beautifully animated movie with a wonderful that was very touching and if you somehow manage to come away from it completely dried eyed then you're just not human and are probably the same kind of person who watched Up and didn't get the least bit misty eyed at the beginning.
    My biggest gripe against going to see it was that I thought it was going to be a Book of Life rip off.

    I am so glad it was it's own thing.

    Also the commercials I remember seeing gave no real detail as to what the movie was about

    All in all, I reluctantly went to see it since my wife and daughter wanted to see it, and came out totally enjoying it
  18. Reelo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    From
    somewhere in Luxembourg
    Messages
    1,428
    3 Days Ago  Feb 19, 2018, 3:08 AM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #18

    Sorry for the slight necro (pun intended) but here in Europe the movie is still in theaters. Unfortunately,so is theFrozen short, ugh....

    Took my family to see the movie this weekend and we all absolutely loved it. I found it very touching, one of the very rare movies that made me shed a tear or two.

    My wife asked me how that might be, since I'm a staunch atheist, but I told her the idea that the dead are not really gone as long as people remember them is, in fact, perfectly compatible with my (lack of) belief in the afterlife.

    Sent using Tapatalk.
  19. Treadwell's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 1999
    Messages
    10,762
    3 Days Ago  Feb 19, 2018, 12:18 PM - Re: Pixar's Coco (Post-release) #19

    I loved it. The emotions worked, and was a lot of fun.

    But because this is what I do, I will now pick it to pieces! But I must emphasize that in the end I think it's great.

    The tradition's morbid emphasis on skulls and skeletons has always creeped me out, so I knew going in I'd have that hurdle. Thankfully the film helped me over it. (For the length of the film, that is...still not a fan!)

    Photographs have only existed for about 160 years. What did the dead do before that, given that the tradition is older than that?

    (I'm not really holding that against the film, it just came to mind.)

    I, like the misdirect concerning who's the great great grand papa, but I still could have done without the feeling I was ahead of the movie for the several scenes it took the kid to make the initial (though incorrect) connection. "He's your great great granddad. He's your great great granddad. C'mon movie, stop being coy." If the film had perhaps given some indication of "we know you know, but let's watch the kid figure it out together!"...

    An inconsistency with the established rules: Ernesto de la Cruz shows off his horde of offerings from fans. You have to cross over and visit the the ofrendas to collect those offerings. They don't just appear. You have to go get them! He's visited thousands of ofrendas, AND hosted a party AND threw a concert in one night? The dead don't seem to have magic Santa Claus time compression powers...

    Also, the extra added McGuffin of getting the real dad's photo back: YOU ALREADY HAVE HIS PICTURE. Okay, the head's torn off. So? Also, getting his picture was only so that he could cross over and visit for one night. The night's about over, there is no point to that anymore. The goal now is to get Coco to remember him so he doesn't, um, die again. You don't need the picture for that!

    The grandmother's cruelty, although explained, didn't feel redeemed. I'm still not happy with her.

    A friend pointed out, and I agree, that we are again ahead of the movie when Miguel comes back and is pleading with Coco. SING TO HER, idiot! Takes forever to get to that moment.

    There was some redundancy with Miguel saying a couple scenes in a row that he didn't listen to his family. Also I didn't like the false dichotomy of career=abandonment of family, choose one or the other. This was not resolved, Miguel was simply convinced to give up music (even though he ultimately didn't have to). He was going to allow the bitterness of a decades-dead matriarch continue to put a pall over his entire clan.

    After Coco died, there was no longer anyone living who knew Héctor in life. Should he not have disappeared? By the established rules, they would never be together in the Land of the Dead.

    Did I mention I loved it?

    I saw it after the removal of the Frozen short, thankfully. But they still left in the live-action bridging segment! It was rather awkward, and it spoiled that great reveal shot of the Land of the Dead.
    Last edited by Treadwell; 3 Days Ago at 12:23 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Pixar's The Good Dinosaur (Post-release)
    Vivek, Entertainment and Movie Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Dec 7, 2015, 10:37 AM
  2. Pixar's Inside Out (Post-release)
    Vivek, Entertainment and Movie Talk
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Jul 7, 2015, 2:59 PM