Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour

BeardySi

Firstly, a warning, this is going to be a slow build as I can only manage to work on it for an hour or two a week, don't expect a lot of updates! ;)

I'm hoping to complete in time for Dublin Comic Con next August.

Predominantly an EVA build, the bulk of the material is 10mm mats. Most of the torso is done with only some detailing needed, ditto the codpiece and buttplate.

I'm currently working on the midriff banding. I'm using foam bands on a fabric backing to hopefully get the right look and give a bit of flexibility. I used an old t-shirt as a backing material but I'm beginning to think that I should have used something a but more stretchy - time will tell I suppose. Am planning on attaching them with velcro or magnets if the velcro turns out too noisy...

I've got to make up a power core before the big wheel at the back. Hopefully doing that shortly - intending on turning and carving it out of a dense foam or somesuch.

After that it's on to the shoulders and arms, keeping the legs till last. Am playing about with a few ideas for the shoulders as I want to keep the movement as accurate and realistic as possible.

Will try and update every week or two depending on how much I can get done...
337b86a9c048d35eae3059da6550880a.jpg
9b37de76ed1e2d43a785da3c2566af1a.jpg
aed9a5aa426d534468dcdcf9eee842d8.jpg
467bad2e0b734b4a9cb58447d57ad71a.jpg
7c998a9acad48183014bb9dd34cd1a8b.jpg
30f1761b5da29fc5f07719e0385e5b6a.jpg
1b690b90fb5d875c1c356f51180fd27a.jpg
4db6a60ac6d3311f2df1be1c7deda936.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Cheers. Hopefully I'll push it on another bit at the weekend... I've got some stretch fabric on order for the midriff as it's not as flexible as I'd like. So I'll be remaking that area.

A big bag of 6mm googly eyes also arrived for rivets, so lots of those to apply too...

incredible foam craftsmanship! What is the white paste? Is it a sealant of some sort? Is it sandable?

Can't wait to see it finished, but do take your time, what you're doing works!

incredible foam craftsmanship! What is the white paste? Is it a sealant of some sort? Is it sandable?

Can't wait to see it finished, but do take your time, what you're doing works!
It's decorators caulk. Shrinks a bit in big gaps, but is flexible and generally paints up OK. You can smooth it nicely with a wet finger which helps as it doesn't sand particularly well.

Hopefully some more work to show in the next few days....

So, I told ye updates would be sporadic!... The project got stalled while life happened for a while. With the T-51b featuring so much in the Fallout 76 trailers it seemed the perfect time to move production into the garage and get rolling again...

One or two areas have been reworked - particularly the midriff which has been remade with the bands fixed onto a stretch fabric. It gives a reasonable amount of movement.

Finally got some foam dowels to make the tubing. I'd been having trouble finding them in the UK which is one reason the project stalled for a bit. I couldn't find a source for hoses that would do what I wanted. I've since found a supplier and all is right with the world once again!

Just the fusion core and it's wheely but to make before I can call the torso done. Not 100% sure how I'll do that but yet - I can get a core 3D printed, but the wheel mightn't be so easily gotten.

Made a start on the upper arms, just need to fix them in place on an undershirt. Next up will be the iconic shoulders. I'm intending to get the full range of articulation what we see in the game. Time will tell whether or not I can pull it off!

Starting to think paint for the torso. Has anybody tried 2 pack paints onto foam? I'm thinking their flexibility might work in my favour here....(just to preempt the inevitable - and justifiable - comments re: safety) I've got access to all the facilities and equipment needed to use 2 pack and am experienced in using them. I'll hopefully test out a spare bit next week sometime and see how it works.
9a49a6e2cbe66365950a873494b16fd4.jpg
b5a67170c47cb22a7cc59ef9a5190004.jpg
fe440ad2f9a73f9ba789c6be88045b02.jpg
26c4522e83411c9f333775c9d8ddc89c.jpg
8ec3c1300570db9f1d513437ab02917d.jpg

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

2-pack test the first is a fail.

2-pack primer covered the foam beautifully but even a thin layer began to crack with a small amount of bending.

Will try again with 2-pack paints and topcoat (both of which should have more flex than the primers before drawing a line under the experiment....

Beardy, that is looking awesome. I can't wait to see the end results. I am starting to make a set of T-51 as well and would appreciate any help you can offer.

Did you make your own templates?

Beardy, that is looking awesome. I can't wait to see the end results. I am starting to make a set of T-51 as well and would appreciate any help you can offer.

Did you make your own templates?
Aye, working from images and roughing things out in paper/card first. Slow going, but it's giving me the results I'm wanting.
Does involve a bit of reworking and revision of already made bits though...

You need flex additive for your 2k. Depends on what brand of paint your using but may be called softface or elastic additive :thumbsup that at will give you some flex in your primer and clear.

You need flex additive for your 2k. Depends on what brand of paint your using but may be called softface or elastic additive :thumbsup that at will give you some flex in your primer and clear.
Awesome, first I'd head of that. Must look it up, thanks!

Wow this looks really cool, but it looks a bit more like the fallout 3/ new Vegas power armor, meaning it looks a bit thinner, do you have any plan to make it look bulkier like fallout 4.
p.s. i have always wanted to build a t51 suit

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back