Subscribe
    Nov 22, 2017, 7:26 PM - Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #1

Firstly, a warning, this is going to be a slow build as I can only manage to work on it for an hour or two a week, don't expect a lot of updates!

I'm hoping to complete in time for Dublin Comic Con next August.

Predominantly an EVA build, the bulk of the material is 10mm mats. Most of the torso is done with only some detailing needed, ditto the codpiece and buttplate.

I'm currently working on the midriff banding. I'm using foam bands on a fabric backing to hopefully get the right look and give a bit of flexibility. I used an old t-shirt as a backing material but I'm beginning to think that I should have used something a but more stretchy - time will tell I suppose. Am planning on attaching them with velcro or magnets if the velcro turns out too noisy...

I've got to make up a power core before the big wheel at the back. Hopefully doing that shortly - intending on turning and carving it out of a dense foam or somesuch.

After that it's on to the shoulders and arms, keeping the legs till last. Am playing about with a few ideas for the shoulders as I want to keep the movement as accurate and realistic as possible.

Will try and update every week or two depending on how much I can get done...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  2. The Lone Wanderer RPF Premium Member GhostMinion's Avatar
    From
    Capitol Wasteland
    Nov 22, 2017, 8:06 PM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #2

Nice. Looking forward to more.
    From
    Golgafrincham
    Nov 27, 2017, 10:12 PM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #3

I like it all ready!
    Nov 28, 2017, 5:17 AM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #4

Cheers. Hopefully I'll push it on another bit at the weekend... I've got some stretch fabric on order for the midriff as it's not as flexible as I'd like. So I'll be remaking that area.

A big bag of 6mm googly eyes also arrived for rivets, so lots of those to apply too...

Nov 28, 2017, 10:47 AM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #5

It's looking great already, but that midsection? Looks dynamite
    Dec 1, 2017, 8:10 PM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #6

incredible foam craftsmanship! What is the white paste? Is it a sealant of some sort? Is it sandable?

Can't wait to see it finished, but do take your time, what you're doing works!
    Dec 6, 2017, 12:09 PM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #7

castpixel said: View Post
    incredible foam craftsmanship! What is the white paste? Is it a sealant of some sort? Is it sandable?

Can't wait to see it finished, but do take your time, what you're doing works!
    It's decorators caulk. Shrinks a bit in big gaps, but is flexible and generally paints up OK. You can smooth it nicely with a wet finger which helps as it doesn't sand particularly well.

Hopefully some more work to show in the next few days....

Jun 10, 2018, 6:38 PM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #8

So, I told ye updates would be sporadic!... The project got stalled while life happened for a while. With the T-51b featuring so much in the Fallout 76 trailers it seemed the perfect time to move production into the garage and get rolling again...

One or two areas have been reworked - particularly the midriff which has been remade with the bands fixed onto a stretch fabric. It gives a reasonable amount of movement.

Finally got some foam dowels to make the tubing. I'd been having trouble finding them in the UK which is one reason the project stalled for a bit. I couldn't find a source for hoses that would do what I wanted. I've since found a supplier and all is right with the world once again!

Just the fusion core and it's wheely but to make before I can call the torso done. Not 100% sure how I'll do that but yet - I can get a core 3D printed, but the wheel mightn't be so easily gotten.

Made a start on the upper arms, just need to fix them in place on an undershirt. Next up will be the iconic shoulders. I'm intending to get the full range of articulation what we see in the game. Time will tell whether or not I can pull it off!

Starting to think paint for the torso. Has anybody tried 2 pack paints onto foam? I'm thinking their flexibility might work in my favour here....(just to preempt the inevitable - and justifiable - comments re: safety) I've got access to all the facilities and equipment needed to use 2 pack and am experienced in using them. I'll hopefully test out a spare bit next week sometime and see how it works.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Jun 13, 2018, 9:37 AM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #9

2-pack test the first is a fail.

2-pack primer covered the foam beautifully but even a thin layer began to crack with a small amount of bending.

Will try again with 2-pack paints and topcoat (both of which should have more flex than the primers before drawing a line under the experiment....

10. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    Jun 14, 2018, 6:56 PM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #10

Where i can find some files to do one
    Jun 16, 2018, 12:16 AM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #11

Beardy, that is looking awesome. I can't wait to see the end results. I am starting to make a set of T-51 as well and would appreciate any help you can offer.

Did you make your own templates?
    Jun 18, 2018, 6:32 AM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #12

shaetano said: View Post
    Beardy, that is looking awesome. I can't wait to see the end results. I am starting to make a set of T-51 as well and would appreciate any help you can offer.

Did you make your own templates?
    Aye, working from images and roughing things out in paper/card first. Slow going, but it's giving me the results I'm wanting.
    Does involve a bit of reworking and revision of already made bits though...

From
    Queensland, Australia
    Jun 18, 2018, 6:42 AM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #13

You need flex additive for your 2k. Depends on what brand of paint your using but may be called softface or elastic additive that at will give you some flex in your primer and clear.
    Jun 20, 2018, 2:36 AM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #14

starks said: View Post
    You need flex additive for your 2k. Depends on what brand of paint your using but may be called softface or elastic additive that at will give you some flex in your primer and clear.
    Awesome, first I'd head of that. Must look it up, thanks!

Jun 28, 2018, 5:03 PM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #15

Printed off some fusion cores. One for the prop cabinet and half a one for the armour.

Time to get sanding and painting!

From
    Austin, TX
    Jul 5, 2018, 8:06 AM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #16

Oh man, this looks amazing so far! Subscribed!
  17. Member Since
    Feb 2018
    From
    St Louis
    Jul 5, 2018, 7:54 PM - Re: Beardy's Fallout 4 T-51b power armour #17

Wow this looks really cool, but it looks a bit more like the fallout 3/ new Vegas power armor, meaning it looks a bit thinner, do you have any plan to make it look bulkier like fallout 4.
    p.s. i have always wanted to build a t51 suit