Sculpting on top of eva foam

Mrgwayne88

So I'm new to the Eva foam game, and also new to costume/prop building entirely. So my situation is. I have built a chest piece out of foam for my arkham knight INSPIRED batsuit. While I'm decently happy with how it's coming along, I want to add some depth, and realism to it. I would like to be able to sculpt on top of the foam, but Idk what would adhere to it, be light enough, etc. Is there a method, or ten for this? I've seen people use clay smoothing seams, and sealing with pva glue, but idk if that would work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the RPF! If you want to add depth to an EVA Foam Chestplate, I would recommend adding another layer/s of EVA Foam on top or behind the base sheet of EVA Foam. If that makes sense. To adhere stuff to EVA Foam, I would recommend using Barge Cement. Hope that answered your question.

Thanks for the response! I thought about that, but what I really want to add is the deep muscular center chest line. I suppose I could use 2mm foam to add layers where I need the depth, and smooth with pva, etc? Good plan? What about using like wall patch/spackle type products? Is that ever succesful?

In the "Add to conversation" box, there are a bunch of icons. Click the 3rd to last icon which is the "Insert Image" icon.

Huh I don't see an add to conversation box. Just the reply to thread option which doesn't give the attachment option

- - - Updated - - -

1122170759a.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Got it. Lol had to open full site mode

- - - Updated - - -

1120171935.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

1122170759.jpg

Adding depth to EVA foam is all about layering. Adding different thickness foam and carving away at said foam. if you really wanted to sculpt, you could use some apoxie sculpt but I would use that to add flourishes and accents. But for what you are wanting to do, I would go the extra layers of form and carving away.

Thank you! That's the method I'm going with. I'm using 2mm foam to build up where I want more thickness, and use quick seal to fill in gaps, and blend everything together. .....there are the ab pieces I've heat formed for the torso.1126171850.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back