silicone mask casting

rgclayboy

ok Im almost embarrassed posting this here but.......i mad a mold for a mask, out of mold max 30 (smooth on)only because i a lot left over from a job......forgetting that MM 30 is a tin cure, and the silicones that I want to use to cast my mask in are all platinum cure ( tin cure inhibit platinum cure silicones)........ does anyone have any suggestions of any other kind of silicone i can use to cast in? before i throw away the mold....LOL!!!!

Hi

Not much to do there, sorry to say. Can´t think of a material that could perform as a low shore platinum silicone (like ecoflex 0030) for a mask.
The only option I see would be using BondFx (Fuse Fx product). It works as a barrier that allows plat silicone to cure over tin.
It´s an expensive product.
I´ve used it a pair of times for small castings. Got to cast them, but a bit tacky and the castings where DSkin Fast.
Ecoflex 0030 (standdard for masks) is very slow curing so I fear BondFx wouldn´t work that good. You shoul test it before.

Anyway don´t throw the mold, if you´re happy with the sculpt you can clay pour or run a master copy with some other flexible product (urethane?) and remold.

I have a release agent that I have used for casting ecoflex in a tin-silicone mold, and it has worked. The name of the product is' Mann Release tecnologies, EASE RELEASE 200'.

Also, if you use a fast curing silicone instead of a slow one (and there is a new, very fast curing ecoflex right now), it will be less likely to be inhibited by the silicone of the mold, you can try that as well

How many coats of Ease Release 200 are you spraying for this?, on a freshly cured tin silicone?, good to know it can work. I recall trying this some years ago with no success.

Is Ecoflex 00-35 the fast curing one you are talking about?. Must try that one. A bit short pot life for injection though.

https://www.smooth-on.com/products/ecoflex-00-35/

I just spray one single coat, and it has worked for me so far.

Yes, thats the ecoflex I was talking about. It is way too fast for injection, so I brush it. I have reciently bought some cure retarder to see if I can get an ideal curing time

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back