My Blade Runner Blaster Build an Epic journey!

Re: My PDK Build an Epic journey!

The name PKD has become a generic term for the blaster - in the same way that Hoover become the generic name for any vacuum cleaner.
You are not wrong by any means but this is not uncommon and its not only the fans here who call it by that name - the industry does as well.

Oops typo, fixed ;)

On my search yesterday I came across a blank firing one. What are your thoughts on that?

Yes force of habbit, I have fixed the title, I think from now on I will be calling my build "TTW Blaster" short for my workshop name

Citation? LOL all you need to do is read nearly every blog and speak to most of those currently custodian of the original BR props and parts.

Jokes aside, I have to agree with 100% with you here because Rick is a friend and the guy who injected the magic into the BR blaster world. While not accurate I am on record as having said many times that IMO his are aesthetically speaking, the most pleasing blasters ever created. I've spoken to him a few times about the term PKD and he acknowledged that its become a generic reference for the blasters in general.

That said, it is - as you say - vitally important to remember that he is the one who invented the term.
Thank you for reminding us..

M

Eh, not so sure about Hoover... I think some better examples would be Band-Aid, Kleenex, Q-Tip, and Xerox (but a couple of those might be more likely here in the US)

Citation needed! ;)

I just get frustrated that a lot of newcomers to the hobby don't realize what Rick Ross has contributed, and it bugs me.

Well... While we are partly on the PKD topic.... How about Tomenosuke website blog's referring to the
Blade Runner Steampunk Blasters as P.K.D. ( Phlogistonic Kinetic Disruptor ). Pretty cool.:p

>>>>> https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=284364

...." Quartz Based Particle Agitators Allow A New Level Of Accuracy. Able To Target Single Tears in Rain. "

Last edited by a moderator:
Information is spotty on the page, it looks quite real so I suspect it wont be allowed. https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/reptile-d/item/caw43264/

But I had read this page http://weaponology.co.uk/useful-info/ how up to date are these Legislations? gov.uk website is almost impossible to find this info

Hi Mate,

The images shown in the link you provided show the cylinder has a welded plate into it to block it from firing. As a result it should pass weapons laws as it's one method taken to deactivate weapons. The Tokenosuke did exactly the same thing, but there have been customs issues with those.. so despite the written law it may still be a pain to get a hold of.

Deactivated firearms (and parts) require either London or Birmingham 'Proof House' certification. Ol' Rakuten's say-so isn't going to cut it! I hate to put blocks in your path but neither do I want to see you getting banged up for 5 years+ over a prop.

If the cylinder is plastic/ABS you might get away with it. I wouldn’t touch metal with a ten foot pole unless I had the FAC for it.

Yeah I'm not going to even bother to try and import one I think it will be a wast of time, I have contacted a shop in the UK that deals with this kind of thing to see if they have anything

You’d be converting a RIF to an IF by making a blaster. Manufacturing either is illegal unless you have a defence. I don’t know how to advise you further to be honest. You’ll just have to make the prop with knowledge of the law in the back of your mind and assume all risks. :)

You’d be converting a RIF to an IF by making a blaster. Manufacturing either is illegal. I don’t know how to advise you further.

Laws sound insane there...I now what id like to advise but ill keep my mouth shut! ;)

What if it was converted from RIF to IF in the US and then sold back to the UK...that legal?

BR blasters (and a large majority of prop guns) are IFs. It’s only by customs applying common sense that they get through.

You’d be converting a RIF to an IF by making a blaster. Manufacturing either is illegal unless you have a defence. I don’t know how to advise you further to be honest. You’ll just have to make the prop with knowledge of the law in the back of your mind and assume all risks. :)

Sound advice, I'm going to explore all options and find out as much as I can.

Update on the Styer is that I wont be having it deactivated, I'm being made a Servant of the RFD so that I can make a resin copy of the parts I need. Current legislation means the action would need to be welded and I feel that would be a waste. at least this way I get something out of it and the rifle lives on. win win?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back