1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

Indeed, it makes it way more fun and helpful. I'd be wary of colored FO, if it looks painted on or dipped in something, it may not work so well. I got some a few times and it worked, sort of, but I ended up coloring the ends more with sharpie to get the full effect and even at that it didn't look quite right, but it wasn't white either. Now if looks like it's made in the color, solid color through the core of it, then yes. Also be sure it's not just side glow stuff, that'll mess you up too. but if it's manufactured IN the color, let me know where you get it from, I'll be wanting some of that myself.:thumbsup As far as the flicker in the engines...I tried it on this one, it looked ok, then I tried the solids...I sanded 4 whites and lightly colored blue and put those in the 4 smaller engines, and I put bright white in the 3 big ones. I had to chop up some Bic pens for tubes and spaced them out further into the bells so they would illuminate the entire bell. I think I loaded a pic of that earlier? if not i'll do it in a sec
Glad to be of any assistance. This is how ideas get shared and make modeling more enjoyable for everyone!!

Another thing I'm working on is getting colored .25mm .50mm and .75mm fiber optic filament so they can be bundled with the same light source. I was guaranteed their is no light bleed even if the colored fibers are laying on each other especially over the clear ones........This will make setup easier!

Those small scissors you can get on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-O-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

And the other ones I have not received yet

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Fine-Arr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

What are your thoughts on the flickering and Non flickering Cool white or blue for the engines?

I also picked up 5mm wide angle LEDs in cool white, warm whit and blue (120 degree viewing angle compared to 30 degree for standard) possibly for the engines. Too bad they don't have them in flickering

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100PCS-5mm...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100PCS-5mm...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

8mm LEDs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-8-10mm...var=421122314298&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, post#55 last pic...how's that look to you? I still can't decide on the flickers or not myself :wacko

Yep, that's the guy I got it from, nice fella though, name's Chuck. used to buy all my LED from him too, till I found a cheaper source...a lot cheaper. like I say, it does work, but not like I'd hoped. by all means try it though just don't buy a whole lot all at one incase you don't like it. I think he's always free shipping though. Don't tell him what I said though, he's a good dude and don't want to p him off :unsure:lol
Here is the link for the colored FO.

It looks like the color is solid but I will ask seller if it is not

https://www.ebay.com/itm/75-feet-75...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Say there Escape...have you been buying prewired LED with the resistors built in, like a pigtail, or are you still doing it the hard way?

Yes I always do it that way. I like to run single length wire to the source without splicing. I don't mind sometimes I change the resistor value if I want to dim the light.

He is expensive.......What is the link where you bought the colored FO from?

350pony66;4359833]Say there Escape...have you been buying prewired LED with the resistors built in, like a pigtail, or are you still doing it the hard way?[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't ask him and since you know it's not solid all the way through I wont

that's the guy I was getting LED and FO from. ME80 is his Ebay handle. His prewired LED's were what I found cheaper elsewhere, "lighthouse led" . I think I'm going to snoop around to see if there is any FO made in the colors. His is sort of painted on or soaked in the colors and it penetrated the FO, something. Some works good, some not so good but you can tell it started out as clear.
As far as the LED's, I did my first lit build that way, but I'm kind of a duh when it comes to figuring out what resistors to use...I got lazy I guess :sleep But I do know what resistor to use when I want to drag down the brightness if I need to. That much I did figure out...by accident :lol
Yes I always do it that way. I like to run single length wire to the source without splicing. I don't mind sometimes I change the resistor value if I want to dim the light.

He is expensive.......What is the link where you bought the colored FO from?

350pony66;4359833]Say there Escape...have you been buying prewired LED with the resistors built in, like a pigtail, or are you still doing it the hard way?

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't ask him and since you know it's not solid all the way through I wont[/QUOTE]

I just googled it, doesn't look like there is any that's made in colors, perhaps it hinders the light transfer too much to work right? But get some of his and try it, you might be ok with it. perhaps I was expecting too much from it :confused

Hi, Thanks for the heads up. I asked him if it was solid and he was very honest and said:

"The colored fiber is endglow fiber, not side glow. All colored fiber has a clear fiber core. It lightsup in color from the color coating on the tips of the fiber. If it was soldcolor the pigment in the fiber would block the light from getting through. Ifyou cut the fiber into 3 or more pieces the 2 outer pieces will light up incolor and the middle pieces will light up white with a white illuminator. Sothis also give you the option to have white lights as well as colored. Eachfiber is about 22 inches long"

This will not work because my lengths will be about 18-22 inches and he is saying they come in 22" inch sections and if you cut it in 3 the outer 2 will shine with the color. Even worse if you let it stick out you will be cutting it again so would that make it an inner /middle piece that the core would shine white?

I will ask him to send me a sample so I can see how it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you might just try the colored sharpie method, but to do that you will need to bloom the end, the color a few times, then seat it for glue. it works but you'll have to try it and see if it works good enough to suit.
Hi, Thanks for the heads up. I asked him if it was solid and he was very honest and said:

"The colored fiber is endglow fiber, not side glow. All colored fiber has a clear fiber core. It lightsup in color from the color coating on the tips of the fiber. If it was soldcolor the pigment in the fiber would block the light from getting through. Ifyou cut the fiber into 3 or more pieces the 2 outer pieces will light up incolor and the middle pieces will light up white with a white illuminator. Sothis also give you the option to have white lights as well as colored. Eachfiber is about 22 inches long"

This will not work because my lengths will be about 18-22 inches and he is saying they come in 22" inch sections and if you cut it in 3 the outer 2 will shine with the color. Even worse if you let it stick out you will be cutting it again so would that make it an inner /middle piece that the core would shine white?

Welcome my friend,

The Chute, sure thing, but it seems like the pic I saw of it installed there wasn't a reveal or trim around the opening...easy enough to scratch tho. If I had it to do over I'd probably go that route but I was late to the party on the PE set. The PE for the shield generators should "doll up" the stock kit pieces sufficiently I would think. It's a nice package of stuff for the money. I think between the upgrade hangar, the shield generators and the upgrade bells and the PE kit, I spent over 100 bucks and I only paid 119.00 for the kit including shipping from Moscow :eek
What do you think about using the photoetch set for the garbage shute and shield generators vs the 3d printed parts?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I reckon so given that there's not that many colors going on with this kit. I still have Falcon on the brain...how to make a lot of colors with few LED's. I pretty much covered the rainbow doing the cockpits in those...and the one I did that was a cut-away...I over-did it really.
Easier to just use 3mm colored LEDs

falcon 4 near done.JPGthis dude was quite the FO challenge...I'll never do another Falcon cut-away, too much work particularly correcting the thing to the shorter side walls...then you have to figure out what to shorten in the interior in addition to all this FO work. :wacko

hey, I totally spaced...if he won't send you a few, I have some. Glad to put some in an envelope and mail it to you :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

send me a PM if you want me to, all good brother :thumbsup

Glad to be of any assistance. This is how ideas get shared and make modeling more enjoyable for everyone!!

Another thing I'm working on is getting colored .25mm .50mm and .75mm fiber optic filament so they can be bundled with the same light source. I was guaranteed their is no light bleed even if the colored fibers are laying on each other especially over the clear ones........This will make setup easier!

Those small scissors you can get on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-O-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

And the other ones I have not received yet

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Fine-Arr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

What are your thoughts on the flickering and Non flickering Cool white or blue for the engines?

I also picked up 5mm wide angle LEDs in cool white, warm whit and blue (120 degree viewing angle compared to 30 degree for standard) possibly for the engines. Too bad they don't have them in flickering

8mm LEDs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-8-10mm...var=421122314298&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

All I did for colored fiber optics is paint the end towards the LED in clear red or whatever color or use a sharpie marker

196 fibers in one 8mm LED .

Having just fibred up my SD I found that enough fibres to match a 5mm resulted in a very stiff bundle which then caused issues when I came to assemble the 2 fuselage halves. In hindsight I would have used less fibres per LED, certainly not more!

Just sayin' :)

I also found the styrene is so thick there was no need for any interior light shielding, which is useful.

what size FO are you using, .50mm? I'll end up using .25mm for 98% of this build and find it to be very cooperative
Having just fibred up my SD I found that enough fibres to match a 5mm resulted in a very stiff bundle which then caused issues when I came to assemble the 2 fuselage halves. In hindsight I would have used less fibres per LED, certainly not more!

Just sayin' :)

I also found the styrene is so thick there was no need for any interior light shielding, which is useful.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back