1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

Thanks Oscar! that means a lot coming from you. Like I said in another post, seeing yours and Robiwon's work is what inspired me to do this build :thumbsup I'm going to the trophy shop at lunch to order up a small plaque to stick to the base...line 1: in honor of Robert "Robiwon" Cass, line 2: Star Wars V line 3: The Empire Strikes back line 4: Imperial Star Destroyer
Nice to see how great it looks! Im sure Robiwon would say the same....:cry

Nice job!

Many thanks Invar! Coming from a "master of detail" like yourself, I'm quite humbled. I'm actually sad that the build part is over for me, can't recall ever enjoying a kit like I have this one, and I think that aspect of it is largely due to having done it with all of you great guys and the sharing of ideas. But I do look forward to following the rest of you guys throughout your builds and have no doubt they will outshine my efforts. I think I'm going to have to take a break from the table before my wife has a major hissy. But, in a way that's ok, it'll give me time to plan out my next project better. I am glad I caught what the rest of you had going on before it was too late for me to add on to mine. :thumbsup
OUTSTANDING! Really very, very nice to see that all together and lit!

Gives me something to strive towards down at the finish line.

gt350pony66;439326[ATTACH=CONFIG said:
788440[/ATTACH]other than a few nick nacks like FO at the engine panel corners, this is pretty much it.

Such a beautiful job- base, light array, all of it. . Congrats on the finish! Though I'm going to miss seeing this thread bumped to the top.
INVAR and Escape are both doing phenomenal work on their respective builds, but you are one of the most dogged documentarians on this board, and that has been a great source of help and inspiration for this noob.

Many thanks, but everyone here deserves a big thumbs up, everyone's input contributed to how well this turned out, but as I've said the guys that are still in progress will no doubt outshine my feeble attempt. Thanks also for the kind words on my attempts to document everything as well as I think I could. Hopefully this thread will continue on for those that don't have their own and are not planning to begin one. I will continue to watch this thread on everyone's work. It's my hope that our good friend Escape068 will now take the lead on this thread should he choose to. I was planning to take a break for a bit on building, but I couldn't. A friend at work gave me a Bandai AT-AT that his son lost interest in and I've already begun the tricky work of lighting the cockpit with micro wire and a 2mm LED. getting it so the head is still movable took a lot of thinking, but I got it. I have decided whether to start another thread or post it here. I suppose for the sake of clutter, I should start another one. However, it likely would be a short one.
Cheers all !! :cheers
Such a beautiful job- base, light array, all of it. . Congrats on the finish! Though I'm going to miss seeing this thread bumped to the top.
INVAR and Escape are both doing phenomenal work on their respective builds, but you are one of the most dogged documentarians on this board, and that has been a great source of help and inspiration for this noob.

ISD VADER1.jpegISD VADER2.jpegISD VADER3.jpegISD VADER4.jpegISD VADER5.jpegISD VADER6.jpegISD VADER7.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment isd vid1.MOVView attachment ISD VID3.MOV vids

Those pictures look really nice.....Keep them coming!

The engines look white....did you change them from blue or is that the way it looks in the picture.

Finished engine block greeblie....did not go as extensive as you and Invar but I think I did enough to make those bare spots busy and worth a closer look. A lot is covered when the bells are installed but it's worth doing it.

20180121_214322smaller.jpg 20180121_214204smaller.jpg 20180121_214211smaller.jpg 20180121_214225smaller.jpg

Next is installing the electronics, cleaning up all the wiring, installing the LEDs for the engines and fitting the diffusing acrylic film in the engine bells.......

Hopefully priming the sub assemblies this weekend!!!

Last edited:
I agree, there's quite a lot of that you can barely see once the bells are in place. Those are some good greebs you got, what are they from? I think it looks just fine for not going full tilt on the greeblies. :thumbsup My 3 mains are white, but the 4 small ones are white that I sanded rough and put a light touch of blue Sharpie on, just for contrast. I see now that I didn't get enough paint on the mains...I neglected to prime them with the black so it wouldn't shine through :facepalm I suppose I'll have to separate the engine panel and carefully mask off the rest and airbrush some black or dark gray on the bells and reshoot the Corax, then wash again. oh well, there are worse things that could have happened :wacko

The engines look white....did you change them from blue or is that the way it looks in the picture.

Finished engine block greeblie....did not go as extensive as you and Invar but I think I did enough to make those bare spots busy and worth a closer look. A lot is covered when the bells are installed but it's worth doing it.

View attachment 789032 View attachment 789033 View attachment 789035 View attachment 789036

Next is installing the electronics, cleaning up all the wiring, installing the LEDs for the engines and fitting the diffusing acrylic film in the engine bells.......

hey Brother, if you didn't see what I wrote in another recent post, you're welcome to take the wheel on this thread if you want to. keep it going throughout your build. if any of the other guys that are following along with theirs, that don't have a thread, pass it off to one of them if they're willing once yours is done. I think anyone who wants their own thread should have one, but if not, having all this info in one thread might turn out to be a good resource for others in the future. just a thought though. I may have started the thread, but as far as I'm concerned, it belongs to all of us :thumbsup

View attachment 789032 View attachment 789033 View attachment 789035 View attachment 789036

Those are from an Italeri 1/35 German halftrack with an antiaircraft gun on the back. The kit had these tanks the had 2 halves and were the same size as the kit ones in the center engine so I was able to make them for the other 2 engines. The ones from the kit are the tan ones and all the white ones I made.

Tank/Artillery kits have a lot of interesting parts that can be repurposed to create amazing detail.

How did the magnets work for the engine panel. I was test fitting the engine panel and the top hull section seemed to have too much give and there would always be a slight space along those seams. It was never a tight snug fit so I think I'm going to glue and forget about making it removable. In order for that to be tight......I think bracing would need to go from top to bottom just behind the engine panel so the opening for the engine panel would not move at all when it's inserted. Not sure if that would be enough either.

I agree, there's quite a lot of that you can barely see once the bells are in place. Those are some good greebs you got, what are they from? I think it looks just fine for not going full tilt on the greeblies. :thumbsup My 3 mains are white, but the 4 small ones are white that I sanded rough and put a light touch of blue Sharpie on, just for contrast. I see now that I didn't get enough paint on the mains...I neglected to prime them with the black so it wouldn't shine through :facepalm I suppose I'll have to separate the engine panel and carefully mask off the rest and airbrush some black or dark gray on the bells and reshoot the Corax, then wash again. oh well, there are worse things that could have happened :wacko

I agree, good armor kits have great stuff in them. I've raided one or two, as well as a 1/72 WWII Jeep and trailer. there's also a lot of cool stuff in battleship kits, but for what they cost for a good one with lots of stuff in it, one hates to ruin the kit by bashing it :lol
Those are from an Italeri 1/35 German halftrack with an antiaircraft gun on the back. The kit had these tanks the had 2 halves and were the same size as the kit ones in the center engine so I was able to make them for the other 2 engines. The ones from the kit are the tan ones and all the white ones I made.

Tank/Artillery kits have a lot of interesting parts that can be repurposed to create amazing detail.

How did the magnets work for the engine panel. I was test fitting the engine panel and the top hull section seemed to have too much give and there would always be a slight space along those seams. It was never a tight snug fit so I think I'm going to glue and forget about making it removable. In order for that to be tight......I think bracing would need to go from top to bottom just behind the engine panel so the opening for the engine panel would not move at all when it's inserted. Not sure if that would be enough either.

- - - Updated - - -

oh yeah, the magnets, they work, but I think I should have positioned them with more contact area for more "grab" know what I mean.

- - - Updated - - -

I started another thread, short as it will be, for the Bandai AT-AT. I didn't want to clutter this thread

I don't know if you guys have noticed yet, but I got lazy...I didn't make the correction for the bridge face angle...:cry

Don't feel too bad. I tried to fix the neck/bridge angle and messed it up so bad, it's now collecting dust, while I work on something else entirely.

I should probably contact Revell about possible replacements but keep thinking I might be able to scratch replacements myself.

krap, really? that sucks. in all honesty, I was afraid I'd mess it up so I didn't try. Although Escape did provide some excellent pics of what he had done, I flat chickened out on it. :facepalm
Don't feel too bad. I tried to fix the neck/bridge angle and messed it up so bad, it's now collecting dust, while I work on something else entirely.

I should probably contact Revell about possible replacements but keep thinking I might be able to scratch replacements myself.

krap, really? that sucks. in all honesty, I was afraid I'd mess it up so I didn't try. Although Escape did provide some excellent pics of what he had done, I flat chickened out on it. :facepalm

Yeah, the problem is not just that the bridge needs to be angled down, it's that the lines/angle of the neck are wrong. All the lines should be parallel with the top of the main hull, but instead the run parallel with the trench.

KG_AVENGER_STUDIO_MODEL-023.jpg

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=19630

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back