1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

When making the curved pipes, how do you heat up the styrene so it is bendable but not too soft?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

well I've used a couple different ways...I keep the soldering iron on and hover the rod over the heat shield of the iron holder base..or hold it up to my work lamp that has a rather hot halogen bulb, or if I'm in a hurry I'll hold it close to a bic lighter till it starts to droop a little. the last method can get a bit sloppy though. I find that the first way is quick and you have both hands free to do your bending before it cools and stiffens up on you again and it does that pretty fast. Invar may have a better method. He'll likely chime in on that pretty soon since he's done A LOT of it :thumbsup
BTW...welcome to the party my friend (y)D
When making the curved pipes, how do you heat up the styrene so it is bendable but not too soft?

well I've used a couple different ways...I keep the soldering iron on and hover the rod over the heat shield of the iron holder base..or hold it up to my work lamp that has a rather hot halogen bulb, or if I'm in a hurry I'll hold it close to a bic lighter till it starts to droop a little. the last method can get a bit sloppy though. I find that the first way is quick and you have both hands free to do your bending before it cools and stiffens up on you again and it does that pretty fast. Invar may have a better method. He'll likely chime in on that pretty soon since he's done A LOT of it :thumbsup
BTW...welcome to the party my friend (y)D

Great question and thanks for the answer!

It will be a while before I tackle this kit. I just started my first more serious attempt at modelling. I'm still learning the basics like airbrushing, weathering, etc.

As nice as this kit is, it certainly looks like it is missing quite a bit of detail when compared to the studio models.

Oh I agree, had the same bit going on with my falcon builds. keep finding stuff I didn't know about so it took 5 of them to get one I considered to be a good one. I knew little of ISD detail when I started this one, but the other brothers here have schooled me on quite a bit and I've been lucky as far as not being too far along to add or correct. It still won't be near what Invar will have when he's done, he knows ALL on the ISD's and he's the best source of info as far as I'm concerned. Considering the detail our fellows here have come up with that are missing from this kit, can you imagine what the cost of a Bandai perfect grade would be? boggles my mind. I'd like to have a PG Falcon, regardless that they're so much money, BUT, the Bandai is the ANH version with only 3 landing gear and I'm solid ESB guy, so I'd probably never buy one. just sayin'
It will be a while before I tackle this kit. I just started my first more serious attempt at modelling. I'm still learning the basics like airbrushing, weathering, etc.

As nice as this kit is, it certainly looks like it is missing quite a bit of detail when compared to the studio models.

Welcome, our new friend...glad you've decided to join us. Scribing panel lines...now that's something I'd never thought about. Quite clever and fore thinking. Too late for me on that as I've already painted and weathered. What size FO are you gonna use? Are you happy with the Shapeways generators? I bought them as well, but then I got the 3D Falcon version which are far better IMO. Have you seen those?

The fibers im using are the ones from those plumed led lamps. I bought 4 of the cheapest I could find off Amazon(like $6.00 ea.) They have about 10" of usable strands and are .30mm to .34mm in diameter. Kindof an odd size especially since they vary in size. The sheild generatrs are the Digital Sprue version. They arnt bad I think, but would be curios to se a comparison vs 3D Falcon. I'm liking the shuttle bay thogh so if they are as good as that then they are probaly great too.

Well I think they are...I'll dig out the Shapeways units and place them beside the 3D Falcons on my tower top and snap a pic and post it at work in the AM.:thumbsup
The fibers im using are the ones from those plumed led lamps. I bought 4 of the cheapest I could find off Amazon(like $6.00 ea.) They have about 10" of usable strands and are .30mm to .34mm in diameter. Kindof an odd size especially since they vary in size. The sheild generatrs are the Digital Sprue version. They arnt bad I think, but would be curios to se a comparison vs 3D Falcon. I'm liking the shuttle bay thogh so if they are as good as that then they are probaly great too.

That would be great. My bridge (tower?) is assembled and lit, but Im waiting to glue the domes and sensor untill after paint. Not too late to get something better.

deflector domes.jpgfor me the choice was clear. I had gotten the (lighter colored), smaller Shapeways first, then I ordered one of the upgrade packages from 3D, and these other ones came with it and that's the ones I used. Besides that, the first set are extremely fragile and had some of the little antenna broken off already. The 3D Falcon bits are resin, but somewhat flexible, greatly decreasing the chance something will break. And, the cut detail on these are far better, and they're larger. :thumbsup
That would be great. My bridge (tower?) is assembled and lit, but Im waiting to glue the domes and sensor untill after paint. Not too late to get something better.

If using the Evergreen styrene piping, I used hot water heated up in the microwave to near boiling and dipped the rod area that I wanted to bend in a small cup of it for a minute, then it was much more pliable and able to be bent without snapping. After bending the rod to the angle I wanted it, I could either run it under cold tap water and get the rod to set quicker in the shape I wanted it to be angled, or I kept the rod bent with pliers until it held the angle I wanted before I glued it into position.

For some of the smaller piping, I simply used tweezers and slowly bent the rod with gentle pressure very slowly a bit past the angle I wanted it, and then cut it to the size I needed it to fit and glued it into position.

I knew Invar was gonna have something different, and that sounds much better than what I’v been doing. I asked the guy at my hobby shop yesterday too...hot water as well. Things should go a lot quicker that way too. I’m at the half way point today, starboard side and bottom center are done so I’ll just keep going. Waiting for the DISH guy today so I should get a lot done QUOTE=INVAR;4370359]If using the Evergreen styrene piping, I used hot water heated up in the microwave to near boiling and dipped the rod area that I wanted to bend in a small cup of it for a minute, then it was much more pliable and able to be bent without snapping. After bending the rod to the angle I wanted it, I could either run it under cold tap water and get the rod to set quicker in the shape I wanted it to be angled, or I kept the rod bent with pliers until it held the angle I wanted before I glued it into position.

For some of the smaller piping, I simply used tweezers and slowly bent the rod with gentle pressure very slowly a bit past the angle I wanted it, and then cut it to the size I needed it to fit and glued it into position.[/QUOTE]

I’m at the half way point today, starboard side and bottom center are done so I’ll just keep going. Waiting for the DISH guy today so I should get a lot done

Wow. You are just ZIPPING along. I'm afraid that I am a whole lot slower due to life interfering at times and several out-of-town trips I have to take that will leave the project untouched for several weeks. But in the time we have been chatting I got a little bit more done on the bow and starboard side trenches.

Head-on.jpgPort-Side-bow-trench.jpgStarboard-bow-trench-front.jpg

man that looks so awesome! It's not too late for me to do that with the trenches...but I goota admit I'm kinda scared to for fear I'll screw up ho well the upper and lower fit together...now I'm going to have to think on it more, but it's not like I'm in a rush I guess. Safe travels though my friend. You've been an inspiration to say the least. And thanks for giving us a guide to go off of, you're the man Invar! :thumbsup
Wow. You are just ZIPPING along. I'm afraid that I am a whole lot slower due to life interfering at times and several out-of-town trips I have to take that will leave the project untouched for several weeks. But in the time we have been chatting I got a little bit more done on the bow and starboard side trenches.

View attachment 780291View attachment 780292View attachment 780293

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back