1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

Thanks Ross, I thought the same thing that the Excelsior was a really nice ship and didn't win anything. I talked to the builder of the Excelsior ship and he also did extensive modifications to it. That is a huge ship over 4 feet long. I doubt the judges even noticed the extra detail on both ships (engine block, trench wall raised, Hangar bays with tie fighter in them and all extra detail added all over the hull) compared to the stock kit. Although the Cylon raider was nicely painted it was not lit and their was no extra detail added. I think that category should be spilt into ships under 16 inches and ones over because their is a huge difference in work going into an unlit and unmodified 12" model compared to the larger lighted ones. I could have built (3) 12 inch ships painted and lit in the time spent on the SD and probably won.

Everybody loved the tie fighters in the mouth of the trench hangar bays....I owe that to you!!

seriously?! I mean, that Excelsior class ship is pretty nice, BUT, you mean the silver looking "non lit" thing at the bottom left? That's BS. However, congrats on the second place...but you clearly should have won. JMO

Well it sounds to me like there was some rigging in the judging...but I don't know, wasn't there. The Tie hangars...wasn't that your idea? I got that from someone else, thought it was you. I scanned back through the thread, thinking maybe we had another fella working along with us on this? didn't see it though. maybe Invar? Or was it, you built the hangars first, and I picked that up from you, and then I found the Tiny Ties on Shapeways? oh well, as long as it worked for you and folks noticed it, all good :thumbsup
Thanks Ross, I thought the same thing that the Excelsior was a really nice ship and didn't win anything. I talked to the builder of the Excelsior ship and he also did extensive modifications to it. That is a huge ship over 4 feet long. I doubt the judges even noticed the extra detail on both ships (engine block, trench wall raised, Hangar bays with tie fighter in them and all extra detail added all over the hull) compared to the stock kit. Although the Cylon raider was nicely painted it was not lit and their was no extra detail added. I think that category should be spilt into ships under 16 inches and ones over because their is a huge difference in work going into an unlit and unmodified 12" model compared to the larger lighted ones. I could have built (3) 12 inch ships painted and lit in the time spent on the SD and probably won.

Everybody loved the tie fighters in the mouth of the trench hangar bays....I owe that to you!!

It's interesting you said that because when they got to 601 Sci-Fi category to read the winners they said their was a problem and they would come back to the category when it was all sorted out.....I'm not pushing any conspiracy theories!!!

I think the trench hangar was Dubz idea but you put the tie fighters in yours which gave it that much more detail and realism

Well it sounds to me like there was some rigging in the judging...but I don't know, wasn't there. The Tie hangars...wasn't that your idea? I got that from someone else, thought it was you. I scanned back through the thread, thinking maybe we had another fella working along with us on this? didn't see it though. maybe Invar? Or was it, you built the hangars first, and I picked that up from you, and then I found the Tiny Ties on Shapeways? oh well, as long as it worked for you and folks noticed it, all good :thumbsup

Congratulations Scott on scoring second place ( in that category ? ) , but I agree with what Ross said in post #640
Your thoughts on separate categories sounds valid too , but I’d have them as ‘ stock ‘ and ‘ modified ‘ instead of size :devil

Reading your post of the event was a ‘ deja vu ‘ moment for me ... having witnessed the same model - Cylon Raider ( Nu BSG ) take out first place over a Deago MF ( 2nd place ) in an expo held over this past weekend here in Perth .

Though the one I saw was displayed over a mirrored base as was the MF . Both had excellent paint work and weathering details , but the Falcon had sooo much more work done to it , including scratch built components , internal and external lighting etc ... whereas the Raider was stock standard - albeit with a very nice metallic finish !?

However , the MF owner /builder I had the chance to speak with was pretty good natured and was more than happy with his result . He was also a font of information and tips regarding his build , some of which I’ll find most helpful when working on mine .:)

Anyhoo just thought I’d share that with you cause it seemed a strange coincidence occurring thousands of kilometres apart in a specific modelling category around the same time !?!:facepalm

:cheersGed

p.s. Thanks for sharing photos - that Enterprise and what looks like a ‘ moisture farm diorama setup ( to the right of your SD ) look cool too !

Last edited:
Hmm, a Cylon Raider over a DeAgo Falcon...something mighty peculiar about that:confused...good paint or not
Congratulations Scott on scoring second place ( in that category ? ) , but I agree with what Ross said in post #640
Your thoughts on separate categories sounds valid too , but I’d have them as ‘ stock ‘ and ‘ modified ‘ instead of size :devil

Reading your post of the event was a ‘ deja vu ‘ moment for me ... having witnessed the same model - Cylon Raider ( Nu BSG ) take out first place over a Deago MF ( 2nd place ) in an expo held over this past weekend here in Perth .

Though the one I saw was displayed over a mirrored base as was the MF . Both had excellent paint work and weathering details , but the Falcon had sooo much more work done to it , including scratch built components , internal and external lighting etc ... whereas the Raider was stock standard - albeit with a very nice metallic finish !?

However , the MF owner /builder I had the chance to speak with was pretty good natured and was more than happy with his result . He was also a font of information and tips regarding his build , some of which I’ll find most helpful when working on mine .:)

Anyhoo just thought I’d share that with you cause it seemed a strange coincidence occurring thousands of kilometres apart in a specific modelling category !:facepalm

p.s. Thanks for sharing photos - that Enterprise and what looks like a ‘ moisture farm diorama setup ( to the right of your SD ) look cool too !

Hi Ged, Thanks for the compliments! That's interesting that you had similar experience over the weekend at another one of these show. Definitely 2 categories stock and modified sounds good also. I don't think these judges are aware of all the modifications done to these larger ships and the work involved. The Excelsior wasn't in the top 3 either

Anyhoo just thought I’d share that with you cause it seemed a strange coincidence occurring thousands of kilometres apart in a specific modelling category around the same time !?!:facepalm

Excelsior wasn't in the top 3? sound like a multiple crime scene to me
Hi Ged, Thanks for the compliments! That's interesting that you had similar experience over the weekend at another one of these show. Definitely 2 categories stock and modified sounds good also. I don't think these judges are aware of all the modifications done to these larger ships and the work involved. The Excelsior wasn't in the top 3 either

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back