1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

Awesome...I admire those who take details to such a level. I managed to get my color printer at work to spit out a nice 8x11 of your image...then it was lunch time so I hustled over to the hobby shop (5 miles away) and came out with a fist full of evergreen. I just hope I can get the 3 main bells off without screwing them up. I got the Falcon 3D set and their kinda fragile, but I put them on with the super gel that has a corresponding release agent so hopefully it won't be too tough. A couple treatments of Easy-off oven cleaner and I'll be good to go. I can see this taking at very least a week, but it'll be so worth it. Thanks again for the inspiration Invar (y)thumbsup
Thanks for the compliment. Yes, all greeblies are scratch built - just me some styrene and a No. 11 Exacto blade. Trying to approximate the 8 foot ILM Avenger in spots, but cannot match it exactly at this scale - and the base parts of the Zvezda do not really allow for an exact duplication. So I have to work with where they have raised areas and approximate where certain notable shapes from the ILM model would fit, but I have to confess that as I am going forward I am referencing the ILM photos less and less and just adding surface detail where I see some space. The 1.5 MM height extension does tend to create a 3 or 4 deck look whereareas the ILM model has battleship superstructure parts that fill the trench structure from top to bottom, and I couldn't really do that with the Zvezda without more surgery than I wanted to do.

More pics at the link to my thread. https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=280589

I second it........That's incredible work!!

Crazy detail and it looks so good.......Keep the build pictures coming.......I may be inspired to add some to my build

Thanks!!

HO-LY COW!! Man that looks incredible!!!:thumbsup Did you scratch all those greebs on the engine panel?! Your trenches are spectacular as well! I'm really impressed with that. Makes me want to strip my engine panel back down and do that to mine...in fact I'm sure of it. I'm going to have to send that pic to my phone for reference. That's seriously top shelf work Invar, well done!!(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

LOL, I went to the hobby shop at lunch and got a bag full of Evergreen stuff! :lol
I second it........That's incredible work!!

Crazy detail and it looks so good.......Keep the build pictures coming.......I may be inspired to add some to my build

Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

I just hope I don't break the bells getting them out of the way :unsure

- - - Updated - - -

btw, if you didn't see it, like me...there's a link to Invar's thread on one of his posts here...great stuff right!

That's going to be tricky to remove....CA glue usually snaps from a quick impact but those bells are vey thin so they can break too especially where the kit rings are attached. Maybe try working that joint free first if possible before putting any pressure on the bells

I checked out his thread and some really awesome detail work....Look forward to seeing some more!

LOL, I went to the hobby shop at lunch and got a bag full of Evergreen stuff! :lol

- - - Updated - - -

I just hope I don't break the bells getting them out of the way :unsure

- - - Updated - - -

btw, if you didn't see it, like me...there's a link to Invar's thread on one of his posts here...great stuff right!

yep, you're right...the release agent is doing nothing. So, now I either leave it and do what I can with them there, or snap em off and get another set...and they ain't exactly cheap...what to do. :unsure
That's going to be tricky to remove....CA glue usually snaps from a quick impact but those bells are vey thin so they can break too especially where the kit rings are attached. Maybe try working that joint free first if possible before putting any pressure on the bells

I checked out his thread and some really awesome detail work....Look forward to seeing some more!

Hey there Buds, where you been? Yeah, I was but then I see all that awesome stuff Invar did and want to do the same or similar. I thought about it more last night and decided I'd do what I can with them there and reshoot n wash. Besides, who is going to look that close besides us, right?
Thanks for chiming in, don't be a stranger :thumbsup
Leave them be. Were you happy with them before?...

update:

last night I shot an email off to Gus, asking what if anything he could do for me on another set. I got a reply this morning and he graciously offered to sell me another set for 30 bucks including shipping. I spend more than that taking the wife out to breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings...and more than that to fill up the gas tank. So it's game on.
Gus at 3D Falcon is a really good guy, with great quality pieces, I highly recommend. When the time comes to start the DeAgo Falcon, as much of the upgrades as he has available, I will be getting from him.:thumbsup

update:

last night I shot an email off to Gus, asking what if anything he could do for me on another set. I got a reply this morning and he graciously offered to sell me another set for 30 bucks including shipping.

That is AWESOME! I am certainly glad I bought that upgrade set from him for this model. While I had already purchased a set of shield generators from Niart, the engine bells Gus created was truly a great deal and I got the whole upgrade kit. I just have to decide which shield generators I like better.

Good for you.

Now - these are the reference photos I used for the engine section. It's from the ILM 8 footer.

star_destroyer_esb_engines.jpg Rear right detail.jpg

Happy Greeblie-ing!

Thanks Invar! I was really wanting to emulate the awesome work you've done, still nearly speechless. I've seen intense detail before but what you've done is over the top. I'm glad I don't have to settle for what I could manage with the bells in place. Shield generators, I had first bought another set from Shapeways which were obviously better than the stock pieces, but I got a set of Gus' anyway when I ordered his other stuff. To me the choice was obvious. Gus' are taller, larger, better antennae, crisper detail lines and the support beams are better detailed. Also, the Shapeways arrived with several of the antenna broken off already, where Gus' seemed to be a slightly flexible resin more resistant to breaking and were all still intact. I've also got the HDA PE set which has goodies in it for the generators, but I'm not convinced that it's necessary to do with Gus' generators. JMO And happy greeblie-ing indeed! I can easily see this taking a week at least, which is ok, it'll be a blast for sure and extends the build. I actually get sort of sad when I near the end of one and then finish. I really got the model bug in the past year and a half...after a 6 or 7 year hiatus :lol
That is AWESOME! I am certainly glad I bought that upgrade set from him for this model. While I had already purchased a set of shield generators from Niart, the engine bells Gus created was truly a great deal and I got the whole upgrade kit. I just have to decide which shield generators I like better.

Good for you.

Now - these are the reference photos I used for the engine section. It's from the ILM 8 footer.

View attachment 778766 View attachment 778767

Happy Greeblie-ing!

great to see what can be done with this Zvezda kit - I have 2 half built - each with bits of 3D printed extras but not the lovely little Slave 1 that I see you have - I could have done with that for the rear garbage hangar.

Enjoying watching what you are doing with this.

- - - Updated - - -

Devastatorvvv.jpg - this picture dates back to 1977 - they look blue don't they ? We didn't need to wait 40 years for Rogue One to confirm the colour of what was going on at the hot end of one of this big grey wedges...

hey man, how's it going...good to hear from you. I agree, there's some guys on here that are doing incredible things with this kit, just incredible. I've been trying to emulate what they're doing to make mine better. That little Slave one from Shapeways is listed as a set of 3 and they sent me 4! don't know what I'm going to do with the other 3. if you were on this side of the pond I'd gladly put a stamp on one for you...to UK probably cost more than the little things cost to buy though. they were only like 8 bucks or so.
great to see what can be done with this Zvezda kit - I have 2 half built - each with bits of 3D printed extras but not the lovely little Slave 1 that I see you have - I could have done with that for the rear garbage hangar.

Enjoying watching what you are doing with this.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 778777 - this picture dates back to 1977 - they look blue don't they ? We didn't need to wait 40 years for Rogue One to confirm the colour of what was going on at the hot end of one of this big grey wedges...

I have never done any scratch building. What types/sizes of rods do you recommend for this kit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

for my part, I just do some scrounging in my scrap and greeblies, and I use Evergreen stock from the hobby shop. it's like 3.50 per package, all different kinds of stuff. I already had piping and rectangle stuff of a few different sizes from the Falcon builds. I pretty much had what I needed to duplicate what Omnius had done with his, though mine isn't AS good, but for doing what Invar has done I picked up a few sizes of half round, tubing and larger solid piping. I already know I likely won't do as well as Invar has, but he has some excellent pics of his work so I'll have something to go off of. He did the hard part already making it way easier for the rest of us to follow his foot steps(y)lol
I have never done any scratch building. What types/sizes of rods do you recommend for this kit?

- - - Updated - - -

check Invar's link to his thread on post #158 here, for pics. I color printed everything and put it in a folder for reference. :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

I took one of the pics with me to the hobby shop and just eye-balled the sizes

- - - Updated - - -

ha, I keep thinking of more things to say...I'm sure if you ask Invar he could tell you what he used. I just guessed and all the stuff is at home. but I can make a list tonight and post it, if you like

I've been working on a Bandai y-wing and repairing cat-damage to my Cygnus model.
Remind me never to start another y-wing-the pipework is driving me insane!

LOL,:lol well if it's driving you insane I bet it looks good, love to see it. And I'll LOL again,:lol I'm right there with you on "cat damage" My cat will wonder up on the table and get as close as he thinks I'll let him, and just nestles down and watches. He's fascinated by wires, FO...my markers and paint brushes sticking out of the jar. Can't trust him if I leave the table for a minute unless I know he's in another room! too funny
I've been working on a Bandai y-wing and repairing cat-damage to my Cygnus model.
Remind me never to start another y-wing-the pipework is driving me insane!

I'm sure if you ask Invar he could tell you what he used. I just guessed and all the stuff is at home. but I can make a list tonight and post it, if you like

I got packs of .030 MM round rods, .020 round and square rods, 1.5 MM square rods, .5 L channel rods, 1/8" u-channel rods, a pack of various rods and scrap that had 5 different widths of hollow rods as well as solid rods and sheet styrene in various thicknesses. Also carved up some old ROTJ AMT B and A-wing Snaptite models I built way back in '83 that were broken and discolored from attic heat from being tossed in a box during a move.

thanks Invar, most kind of you...see what you started? everyone wants to be like you :thumbsup
I got packs of .030 MM round rods, .020 round and square rods, 1.5 MM square rods, .5 L channel rods, 1/8" u-channel rods, a pack of various rods and scrap that had 5 different widths of hollow rods as well as solid rods and sheet styrene in various thicknesses. Also carved up some old ROTJ AMT B and A-wing Snaptite models I built way back in '83 that were broken and discolored from attic heat from being tossed in a box during a move.

ISDLIGHTING1.jpegthis is of course upside, starboard side superstructure. all I have left it the starboard rear. I did find a 110 ft roll of .25 in my roll around, thought for sure that'd be enough to finish up, ran out again. Now I'm really going to have to scrounge. I think if I ever do another one of these, I'm going to open up a couple of what looks to be hangar doors on the super structure. Another 30 or so FO and it's back to the engine panel for the INVAR Upgrade:thumbsup

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back