Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    May 2014
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 1:42 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #176

I've been working on a Bandai y-wing and repairing cat-damage to my Cygnus model.
    Remind me never to start another y-wing-the pipework is driving me insane!
    From
    maricopa, az
    3 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 2:16 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #177

LOL, well if it's driving you insane I bet it looks good, love to see it. And I'll LOL again, I'm right there with you on "cat damage" My cat will wonder up on the table and get as close as he thinks I'll let him, and just nestles down and watches. He's fascinated by wires, FO...my markers and paint brushes sticking out of the jar. Can't trust him if I leave the table for a minute unless I know he's in another room! too funny
    32buds said: View Post
    I've been working on a Bandai y-wing and repairing cat-damage to my Cygnus model.
    Remind me never to start another y-wing-the pipework is driving me insane!
    3 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 2:39 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #178

gt350pony66 said: View Post
    I'm sure if you ask Invar he could tell you what he used. I just guessed and all the stuff is at home. but I can make a list tonight and post it, if you like
    I got packs of .030 MM round rods, .020 round and square rods, 1.5 MM square rods, .5 L channel rods, 1/8" u-channel rods, a pack of various rods and scrap that had 5 different widths of hollow rods as well as solid rods and sheet styrene in various thicknesses. Also carved up some old ROTJ AMT B and A-wing Snaptite models I built way back in '83 that were broken and discolored from attic heat from being tossed in a box during a move.
    From
    maricopa, az
    3 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 3:26 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #179

thanks Invar, most kind of you...see what you started? everyone wants to be like you
    INVAR said: View Post
    I got packs of .030 MM round rods, .020 round and square rods, 1.5 MM square rods, .5 L channel rods, 1/8" u-channel rods, a pack of various rods and scrap that had 5 different widths of hollow rods as well as solid rods and sheet styrene in various thicknesses. Also carved up some old ROTJ AMT B and A-wing Snaptite models I built way back in '83 that were broken and discolored from attic heat from being tossed in a box during a move.
    From
    maricopa, az
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 7:50 AM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #180

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISDLIGHTING1.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	778976this is of course upside, starboard side superstructure. all I have left it the starboard rear. I did find a 110 ft roll of .25 in my roll around, thought for sure that'd be enough to finish up, ran out again. Now I'm really going to have to scrounge. I think if I ever do another one of these, I'm going to open up a couple of what looks to be hangar doors on the super structure. Another 30 or so FO and it's back to the engine panel for the INVAR Upgrade
    From
    maricopa, az
    5 Hours Ago  Dec 11, 2017, 7:59 AM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #181

Name:	engine panel1.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	779507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine panel2.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	779508Funniest thing, I ordered another set of bells, just knowing I'd destroy them getting them off. So went to just rip them out...and they came off in one piece...all of 'em. So after I stripped the paint off, which by the way didn't go as planned...Citadel is extremely resistant to easy off. I tried the first round and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, scrubbed with the old tooth brush and all I got off was the wash. tried again and let it sit for a half hour...thinned it a bit more but that stuff wasn't coming off like paints in the past. anyway, I decided to just light scrape with the exacto where I need to stick stuff. and here is my progress so far. As stated earlier, there was no way I was going to even get close to what Invar has done with his, but this is better than if I had done nothing. It's really time consuming but it'll look good at the end. Have to admit my greeblie stash is due for refreshing. Thanks again Invar for the inspiration
    1 Hour Ago  Dec 11, 2017, 11:54 AM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #182

That looks really damn good to me. Achieves the effect without the ridiculous amount of time, eye-straining and styrene-carving that I put myself through.

But then, I'm a stupid perfectionist when it comes to trying to make this thing look like the ILM ESB model... because well....when you stare at these ILM reference photos long enough - you lie to yourself and say "no problem!".

Name:	Isd27.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	346.8 KB 
ID:	779541
    Then you spend the next 3 months attempting to make the engine section of your model look just like that!