Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    maricopa, az
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 7:53 AM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #76

unfortunately, I'm far enough along that I won't be able to use some of the stuff in the PE set, but a good bit of it will be useful. Many thanks again to Omnius for showing us this item. For myself, I had no idea it even existed.

- - - Updated - - -

Lesson learned, if you're embarking on a good build, look around to see if there's PE available
  2. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 1:51 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #77

gt350pony66 said: View Post
    Attachment 776313Attachment 776314Attachment 776315Attachment 776316Attachment 776317Attachment 776318Attachment 776319Attachment 776320 Over the holiday I attempted to duplicate what Omnius did with his greeblie work on the upper hull. I didn't get exactly what he's got due to what I had to work with, but I think it came out pretty good and was worth the time and effort. I also decided I needed to do the trench hangar for the other side as well, actually was easier and quicker since I had the other one to go off of. lit pics are too bright to see anything so I left the LED's off, though it does look pretty good when lit, just can't get a clear photo. I had a bit of trouble washing the upper, couldn't get it even, so I did a mist of the Citadel white to clean it up, but I think I'm going to have to get the air brush out to get it right.

The hangar and all the additions look great!!

I was away most of last week but did do some work on it yesterday and decided to go FO route. Started to do some of that along with some other stuff. I tested using the Loctite GO2 gel and a few other water based glues and I don't like the Loctite because once you s=get it on your fingers it has that silicone feel which you can easily get on the surfaces of the model. I'm using Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky glue that is just as strong as the Loctite and is water clean up. I put some in a small bottle with a thin tip and it works great. It was very difficult to pull the fiber out of the test piece I did using the Aleene's glue. I let it dry 24 hrs. and it dries clear.

Still deciding on warm white or cool white for interior flickering/non flickering cool white or blue for engines.

Being that I will be able to access interior I may setup so I can change out the LEDs if I don't like what I choose. I purchased 8mm warm white and cool white LEDs so I will be able to fit approx. 196 fibers in one 8mm LED . Hope to use between 5 and 10 LEDs with a couple of small 3mm for the color ones. I also bought a few tools to cut the FO in those hard to reach places. I have another on order that has a really fine curved cutting tip.

Small circle in larger one calculator

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/s...le-d_1849.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171128_080637smaller.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	776697 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171128_080648smaller.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	776706 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171128_080730smaller.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	776707 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171128_080711smaller.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	776708 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171128_080816smaller.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	776709
    From
    maricopa, az
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 2:31 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #78

looking good brother! I see you like the same tape that I do So that glue...for the FO, right? I've been using Lazerbond successfully but I can't find it in stores anymore. Go online and it says Walmart still has it, but been to 3 stores...nodda. I guess I gotta order online...what a pain.
    I really like those tiny clippers with the cross tail, perfect. I found a set of stuff at Walgreens for doing finger and toe nails for 10 bucks. the tiny side cutters are the bomb, and there was a small short pair of scissors in there too, but I think it's still too big. might take 'em to the bench grinder and gently grind the outsides till there only a little left, then they might fit in the tight spots. 8mm is bigger than I've been using, biggest I have is a 5mm. but when you think about it, particularly with this type of project, those bigger LED's are a great choice, good call dude [ I got nothing done last night, had to pack up the 31" Disney Nautilus I finished a month ago to go to Austria. I Ebay-ed it and didn't get what I really wanted for it. Had probably 350 in the whole thing and got 600. Oh well, I didn't lose at least. Then it was my turn to cook dinner. Tonight tho, Finish trimming the contact points of upper and lower so they fit together. still a bit to shave on the upper for the hangars you influenced me to do Then I need to trim the tower for the angle and change where I ran the FO, the tower fits nice and snug, but the FO needs to go to the rear so as not to pinch it all. I added more FO to the tower to be more like Omnius so now I have like 170 or so in the tower and face panel. Did you get a PE set for yours too? Sorry...didn't mean to babble on so much QUOTE=Escape068;4359717]The hangar and all the additions look great!!

I was away most of last week but did do some work on it yesterday and decided to go FO route. Started to do some of that along with some other stuff. I tested using the Loctite GO2 gel and a few other water based glues and I don't like the Loctite because once you s=get it on your fingers it has that silicone feel which you can easily get on the surfaces of the model. I'm using Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky glue that is just as strong as the Loctite and is water clean up. I put some in a small bottle with a thin tip and it works great. It was very difficult to pull the fiber out of the test piece I did using the Aleene's glue. I let it dry 24 hrs. and it dries clear.

Still deciding on warm white or cool white for interior flickering/non flickering cool white or blue for engines.

Being that I will be able to access interior I may setup so I can change out the LEDs if I don't like what I choose. I purchased 8mm warm white and cool white LEDs so I will be able to fit approx. 196 fibers in one 8mm LED . Hope to use between 5 and 10 LEDs with a couple of small 3mm for the color ones. I also bought a few tools to cut the FO in those hard to reach places. I have another on order that has a really fine curved cutting tip.

Small circle in larger one calculator

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/s...le-d_1849.html

Name:	20171128_080637smaller.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	776697 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171128_080648smaller.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	776706 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171128_080730smaller.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	776707 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171128_080711smaller.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	776708 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171128_080816smaller.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	776709[/QUOTE]
    From
    maricopa, az
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 2:58 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #79

Escape,

I know we're no where near being finished with these, but I wanted to say thanks for all the positive input and great ideas. It's making this one way better than it otherwise would have been
  5. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 3:38 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #80

Glad to be of any assistance. This is how ideas get shared and make modeling more enjoyable for everyone!!

Another thing I'm working on is getting colored .25mm .50mm and .75mm fiber optic filament so they can be bundled with the same light source. I was guaranteed their is no light bleed even if the colored fibers are laying on each other especially over the clear ones........This will make setup easier!

Those small scissors you can get on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-O-R...53.m2749.l2649

And the other ones I have not received yet

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Fine-Arro...53.m2749.l2649

What are your thoughts on the flickering and Non flickering Cool white or blue for the engines?

I also picked up 5mm wide angle LEDs in cool white, warm whit and blue (120 degree viewing angle compared to 30 degree for standard) possibly for the engines. Too bad they don't have them in flickering

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100PCS-5mm-...53.m2749.l2649

8mm LEDs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-8-10mm-...53.m2749.l2649
    From
    maricopa, az
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 4:31 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #81

Indeed, it makes it way more fun and helpful. I'd be wary of colored FO, if it looks painted on or dipped in something, it may not work so well. I got some a few times and it worked, sort of, but I ended up coloring the ends more with sharpie to get the full effect and even at that it didn't look quite right, but it wasn't white either. Now if looks like it's made in the color, solid color through the core of it, then yes. Also be sure it's not just side glow stuff, that'll mess you up too. but if it's manufactured IN the color, let me know where you get it from, I'll be wanting some of that myself. As far as the flicker in the engines...I tried it on this one, it looked ok, then I tried the solids...I sanded 4 whites and lightly colored blue and put those in the 4 smaller engines, and I put bright white in the 3 big ones. I had to chop up some Bic pens for tubes and spaced them out further into the bells so they would illuminate the entire bell. I think I loaded a pic of that earlier? if not i'll do it in a sec
    Escape068 said: View Post
    Glad to be of any assistance. This is how ideas get shared and make modeling more enjoyable for everyone!!

Another thing I'm working on is getting colored .25mm .50mm and .75mm fiber optic filament so they can be bundled with the same light source. I was guaranteed their is no light bleed even if the colored fibers are laying on each other especially over the clear ones........This will make setup easier!

What are your thoughts on the flickering and Non flickering Cool white or blue for the engines?

I also picked up 5mm wide angle LEDs in cool white, warm whit and blue (120 degree viewing angle compared to 30 degree for standard) possibly for the engines. Too bad they don't have them in flickering

8mm LEDs

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, post#55 last pic...how's that look to you? I still can't decide on the flickers or not myself
  7. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 4:38 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #82

Here is the link for the colored FO.

It looks like the color is solid but I will ask seller if it is not

https://www.ebay.com/itm/75-feet-75m...53.m1438.l2649
    From
    maricopa, az
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 4:45 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #83

Yep, that's the guy I got it from, nice fella though, name's Chuck. used to buy all my LED from him too, till I found a cheaper source...a lot cheaper. like I say, it does work, but not like I'd hoped. by all means try it though just don't buy a whole lot all at one incase you don't like it. I think he's always free shipping though. Don't tell him what I said though, he's a good dude and don't want to p him off
    Here is the link for the colored FO.

It looks like the color is solid but I will ask seller if it is not

https://www.ebay.com/itm/75-feet-75m...53.m1438.l2649
    From
    maricopa, az
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 4:53 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #84

Say there Escape...have you been buying prewired LED with the resistors built in, like a pigtail, or are you still doing it the hard way?
  10. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 4:59 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #85

Yes I always do it that way. I like to run single length wire to the source without splicing. I don't mind sometimes I change the resistor value if I want to dim the light.

He is expensive.......What is the link where you bought the colored FO from?

350pony66;4359833]Say there Escape...have you been buying prewired LED with the resistors built in, like a pigtail, or are you still doing it the hard way?[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't ask him and since you know it's not solid all the way through I wont
    From
    maricopa, az
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 5:06 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #86

that's the guy I was getting LED and FO from. ME80 is his Ebay handle. His prewired LED's were what I found cheaper elsewhere, "lighthouse led" . I think I'm going to snoop around to see if there is any FO made in the colors. His is sort of painted on or soaked in the colors and it penetrated the FO, something. Some works good, some not so good but you can tell it started out as clear.
    As far as the LED's, I did my first lit build that way, but I'm kind of a duh when it comes to figuring out what resistors to use...I got lazy I guess But I do know what resistor to use when I want to drag down the brightness if I need to. That much I did figure out...by accident
    Yes I always do it that way. I like to run single length wire to the source without splicing. I don't mind sometimes I change the resistor value if I want to dim the light.

He is expensive.......What is the link where you bought the colored FO from?

350pony66;4359833]Say there Escape...have you been buying prewired LED with the resistors built in, like a pigtail, or are you still doing it the hard way?
    - - - Updated - - -

I didn't ask him and since you know it's not solid all the way through I wont[/QUOTE]
    From
    maricopa, az
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 5:14 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #87

I just googled it, doesn't look like there is any that's made in colors, perhaps it hinders the light transfer too much to work right? But get some of his and try it, you might be ok with it. perhaps I was expecting too much from it
  13. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 6:51 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #88

Hi, Thanks for the heads up. I asked him if it was solid and he was very honest and said:

"The colored fiber is endglow fiber, not side glow. All colored fiber has a clear fiber core. It lightsup in color from the color coating on the tips of the fiber. If it was soldcolor the pigment in the fiber would block the light from getting through. Ifyou cut the fiber into 3 or more pieces the 2 outer pieces will light up incolor and the middle pieces will light up white with a white illuminator. Sothis also give you the option to have white lights as well as colored. Eachfiber is about 22 inches long"

This will not work because my lengths will be about 18-22 inches and he is saying they come in 22" inch sections and if you cut it in 3 the outer 2 will shine with the color. Even worse if you let it stick out you will be cutting it again so would that make it an inner /middle piece that the core would shine white?

I will ask him to send me a sample so I can see how it works.
    From
    maricopa, az
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 6:55 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #89

Well, you might just try the colored sharpie method, but to do that you will need to bloom the end, the color a few times, then seat it for glue. it works but you'll have to try it and see if it works good enough to suit.
    Hi, Thanks for the heads up. I asked him if it was solid and he was very honest and said:

"The colored fiber is endglow fiber, not side glow. All colored fiber has a clear fiber core. It lightsup in color from the color coating on the tips of the fiber. If it was soldcolor the pigment in the fiber would block the light from getting through. Ifyou cut the fiber into 3 or more pieces the 2 outer pieces will light up incolor and the middle pieces will light up white with a white illuminator. Sothis also give you the option to have white lights as well as colored. Eachfiber is about 22 inches long"

This will not work because my lengths will be about 18-22 inches and he is saying they come in 22" inch sections and if you cut it in 3 the outer 2 will shine with the color. Even worse if you let it stick out you will be cutting it again so would that make it an inner /middle piece that the core would shine white?

15. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 7:17 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #90

Easier to just use 3mm colored LEDs
  16. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 10:33 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #91

What do you think about using the photoetch set for the garbage shute and shield generators vs the 3d printed parts?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    From
    maricopa, az
    1 Week Ago  Nov 29, 2017, 7:51 AM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #92

Welcome my friend,

The Chute, sure thing, but it seems like the pic I saw of it installed there wasn't a reveal or trim around the opening...easy enough to scratch tho. If I had it to do over I'd probably go that route but I was late to the party on the PE set. The PE for the shield generators should "doll up" the stock kit pieces sufficiently I would think. It's a nice package of stuff for the money. I think between the upgrade hangar, the shield generators and the upgrade bells and the PE kit, I spent over 100 bucks and I only paid 119.00 for the kit including shipping from Moscow
    ggriffaw said: View Post
    What do you think about using the photoetch set for the garbage shute and shield generators vs the 3d printed parts?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    From
    maricopa, az
    1 Week Ago  Nov 29, 2017, 7:55 AM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #93

I reckon so given that there's not that many colors going on with this kit. I still have Falcon on the brain...how to make a lot of colors with few LED's. I pretty much covered the rainbow doing the cockpits in those...and the one I did that was a cut-away...I over-did it really.
    Easier to just use 3mm colored LEDs
    From
    maricopa, az
    1 Week Ago  Nov 29, 2017, 7:59 AM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #94

Name:	falcon 4 near done.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	776870this dude was quite the FO challenge...I'll never do another Falcon cut-away, too much work particularly correcting the thing to the shorter side walls...then you have to figure out what to shorten in the interior in addition to all this FO work.
    From
    maricopa, az
    1 Week Ago  Nov 29, 2017, 3:38 PM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #95

hey, I totally spaced...if he won't send you a few, I have some. Glad to put some in an envelope and mail it to you

- - - Updated - - -

send me a PM if you want me to, all good brother
  21. Member Since
    Feb 2011
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 2:39 AM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #96

8mm LEDs

All I did for colored fiber optics is paint the end towards the LED in clear red or whatever color or use a sharpie marker
  22. RPF Premium Member Antsnest's Avatar
    From
    UK
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 3:28 AM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #97

196 fibers in one 8mm LED .
    Having just fibred up my SD I found that enough fibres to match a 5mm resulted in a very stiff bundle which then caused issues when I came to assemble the 2 fuselage halves. In hindsight I would have used less fibres per LED, certainly not more!

Just sayin'

I also found the styrene is so thick there was no need for any interior light shielding, which is useful.
    From
    maricopa, az
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 7:39 AM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #98

I've done that as well, not the best way to do it because the color can be weak...but it works
    scifiguy67 said: View Post
    All I did for colored fiber optics is paint the end towards the LED in clear red or whatever color or use a sharpie marker
    From
    maricopa, az
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 7:43 AM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #99

what size FO are you using, .50mm? I'll end up using .25mm for 98% of this build and find it to be very cooperative
    Antsnest said: View Post
    Having just fibred up my SD I found that enough fibres to match a 5mm resulted in a very stiff bundle which then caused issues when I came to assemble the 2 fuselage halves. In hindsight I would have used less fibres per LED, certainly not more!

Just sayin'

I also found the styrene is so thick there was no need for any interior light shielding, which is useful.
  25. RPF Premium Member Antsnest's Avatar
    From
    UK
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 7:47 AM - Re: 1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table #100

gt350pony66 said: View Post
    what size FO are you using, .50mm? I'll end up using .25mm for 98% of this build and find it to be very cooperative
    Yeah I was using .5mm