1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

Awesome dude! Pic one looks like it's store bought, incredibly neat, organized and CLEAN. You're going to far and away outshine my work and that's a fact :thumbsup
Pictures of the Corax white base coat applied......Almost finished connecting all the wires to the electronics in the main hull. Should be finished with that by Friday. Still waiting for the paint for the wash to get delivered.

View attachment 793502 View attachment 793503 View attachment 793504 View attachment 793505

View attachment 793506 View attachment 793507 View attachment 793508

Don't sell yours short........Give yours the credit it deserves which is AWESOME!!! Your paint job, weathering and lighting are up there with the best of them.

I just like to do thing neat....It takes more time but I have always done things that way but it won't mean a thing if what you see on the outside is not that good.....I hope the lighting and paintjob on mine looks half as good as yours

Awesome dude! Pic one looks like it's store bought, incredibly neat, organized and CLEAN. You're going to far and away outshine my work and that's a fact :thumbsup

I appreciate that buddy, but don't sell yourself short either. Yours IS going to be better than mine and that's ok, because it will make me strive to do better. That's a benefit of all this collaboration, it pushes us to do better when we see what our friends are doing better. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup
Don't sell yours short........Give yours the credit it deserves which is AWESOME!!! Your paint job, weathering and lighting are up there with the best of them.

I just like to do thing neat....It takes more time but I have always done things that way but it won't mean a thing if what you see on the outside is not that good.....I hope the lighting and paintjob on mine looks half as good as yours

Guys ,

I’ve a question , and I apologise upfront if it’s been asked and answered before .
I’m wondering what you use to trim back / cut the fibre optic strands with , once all the painting and weatherings finished ? What’s the best tool for the job ?
I’ve used them ( FO ) a couple of times in earlier builds , but never to the extent I hope to ( as you all have done ) , and never with them positioned in such extremely , tight looking areas !
i.e in the cluttered side trenches with protruding and overhanging plastic details , the command tower with it’s prominent raised features etc ... ? And how closely cut back . Is close enough ?

Any and all help / advice appreciated .

:cheersGed

I have not reached that point yet but I purchase a couple of different kinds of small curved scissors. Go to post 77 . I also have a pair of flush cutters. I'm sure their will be FO in tight spots that the scissors will not get to. I will have to get creative. I did notice that the FO get brittle when painted with primer and the then the Corax white. I may try to either twist off or go back and fourth with a pair tweezers in those tight spots'

Anybody else have experience cutting the FO in tight spots?

Guys ,

I’ve a question , and I apologise upfront if it’s been asked and answered before .
I’m wondering what you use to trim back / cut the fibre optic strands with , once all the painting and weatherings finished ? What’s the best tool for the job ?
I’ve used them ( FO ) a couple of times in earlier builds , but never to the extent I hope to ( as you all have done ) , and never with them positioned in such extremely , tight looking areas !
i.e in the cluttered side trenches with protruding and overhanging plastic details , the command tower with it’s prominent raised features etc ... ? And how closely cut back . Is close enough ?

Not sure it's the best, but I found a pair of toe nail clips at Walgreens that looks like a tiny pair of side cutters that has worked pretty well. they cut flush like sprue trimmer and are like a 1/4 inch wide out of the box, but I took the bench grinder to them and took off some of the outside metal to allow them to fit into tighter areas. cheap and easy to find
Guys ,

Thanks Escape amd gt350 ,

So that’s small curved scissors and nail clippers . Both of which I’m happy to say I’ve used in the past for this . I’ve also used the mushroomed end technique ( don’t think that’d be appropriate here though ) , and thread shears .
gt350pony66 , if I could direct this to you seeing’s how you’ve completed your SD - how close were you able to trim back the fibre strands to the model surface in those tricky areas ? And is there any , to your eyes , areas where the fibres really stand out ? If so , maybe they could be explained away as ‘ antennae ? Just wondering what’s commonly accepted is all .

Thanks again :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for my ISD, I bloomed and glued everything because I painted sub-assemblies prior to stringing the FO for the simple fact that I didn't have those nail cutters at the time. now that I have them any future builds with ample FO going on, I will use the other method. Though not an excess of FO in it, I did use the clip FO AFTER painting on the AT-AT and the results are better for more uniform size of the light points, so I'm a bit late to the party on doing it that way, but clearly see the benefits of it. on my ISD one can clearly see where there are variations in the blooming, one point being bigger/brighter than the next so I wish I'd thought to find those clippers long before I did :facepalm however, there were a number of stands that didn't glue secure and when final assembly was done I found a number that were sticking out, so at that point, the clippers came in handy in cutting them back to the painted surface. lesson learned on my part. You guys will have better results in doing it the way you are, as I will be going forward. :thumbsup

So that’s small curved scissors and nail clippers . Both of which I’m happy to say I’ve used in the past for this . I’ve also used the mushroomed end technique ( don’t think that’d be appropriate here though ) , and thread shears .
@gt350pony66 , if I could direct this to you seeing’s how you’ve completed your SD - how close were you able to trim back the fibre strands to the model surface in those tricky areas ? And is there any , to your eyes , areas where the fibres really stand out ? If so , maybe they could be explained away as ‘ antennae ? Just wondering what’s commonly accepted is all .

- - - Updated - - -

I'll snap a pic of those clippers tonight and post it so you can see what they are :thumbsup

@gt350pony66 , if I could direct this to you seeing’s how you’ve completed your SD - how close were you able to trim back the fibre strands to the model surface in those tricky areas ? And is there any , to your eyes , areas where the fibres really stand out ? If so , maybe they could be explained away as ‘ antennae ? Just wondering what’s commonly accepted is all .

Hi gt350pony66..................I would like to see that modified clipper you have. I will be cutting all the FO soon and want a full compliment of tools to do it!!

Sure thing brother! :thumbsup I'll put up a few pics asap
Hi gt350pony66..................I would like to see that modified clipper you have. I will be cutting all the FO soon and want a full compliment of tools to do it!!

- - - Updated - - -

btw, I'm Ross, if I remember correctly from when I sent the acrylic sheet, you're Scott, right?

I'm cool with it if you are, we're all friends here now and we should act like it. it's easier to type someone's name rather than their site handle most of the time. Except for maybe Invar, that's a short one :lol
Correct.......I didn't know if you wanted your name used in the posts

snip2.jpegsnip3.jpegsnip5.jpegsnip1.jpegsnip6.jpegthey look like this, came in a nail care set for 9 bucks. see where I ground off the sides to narrow it up. as long as where you want to go isn't too deep or narrow, the tip reaches pretty good to snip off the FO.

Thanks for sharing the nail snips info Ross . I’m Ged .

Altering existing tools to suit particular needs is something I hadn’t thought of . Using tools for things they weren’t designed for , that I’ve done :lol

It didn’t occur to me to ‘ develope ‘ a Avatar (?) name when I first signed up to this forum ( still might add a photo though ) .
I was just , more than happy to be taking up a neglected hobby again, and finding a site that had people who shared similar interests :D

:cheers

Sure thing brother! Glad to know you Ged :thumbsup
I'm all about getting things done with what I have to work with. There are more tools in my tool box in the garage that have notches, groove and angles modded to them, I sometimes go to use something and notice what I did to it and think to myself...now what was I doing that I did that for? :lol
Anyway, I'm in the same place you are, I rediscovered model building in July 2016 after many years away from it. I'd still go by the hobby shops once in a while, see something and buy it, and then put it in the closet. Then one day I was looking through that closet for something unrelated and discovered an MPC Millennium Falcon I'd been packing around for 25 years or so. I had just watched ESB and thought, well I should build this. So I put it together, put some lights in it and I noticed for the first time ever, the ANH had only 3 landing gear and ESB has 5 and I was like WTF? So I started researching it and found that that model was probably the MOST grossly inaccurate thing ever produced. So I got another one and did a little better, then another, and another till I'd built 5. The last having probably 70% aftermarket upgrades, and it looks awesome. Then one thing led to another, found this website doing a search for something, and now I'm hopelessly addicted once again. My wife may divorce me over it though cause I spend so much time building models. I think I may miss her if she leaves, but I'm not convinced of it :lol:lol:lol QUOTE=gedmac66;4406778]Thanks for sharing the nail snips info Ross . I’m Ged .

Altering existing tools to suit particular needs is something I hadn’t thought of . Using tools for things they weren’t designed for , that I’ve done :lol

It didn’t occur to me to ‘ develope ‘ a Avatar (?) name when I first signed up to this forum ( still might add a photo though ) .
I was just , more than happy to be taking up a neglected hobby again, and finding a site that had people who shared similar interests :D

:cheers[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

...I forgot to mention, I still have like 6 of those in the closet :lol:wacko:facepalm
Thanks for sharing the nail snips info Ross . I’m Ged .

:cheers

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back