1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

isd eng pnl2.jpegisd eng pnl3.jpegalmost there, still much to fill in and finish on this port side. I'd probably have finished yesterday but I had to take a break and go see Last Jedi. I thought it was pretty good. Still think ESB is the best of the bunch though. After this release, I anticipate some new models coming out soon. 2018 could be exciting for us :thumbsup

I also realized I stuck the 4 stock small nozzles on instead of the 3D ones :facepalm and they don't seem like they want to come off without a fight. On that note, question for anyone...you see my LED extensions and the onside of the base...silver? white?

thanks my friends

- - - Updated - - -

onside? I mean, inside

Man... I like the added detail you guys are putting around the engines. I was tempted to leave mine be, but the more I look at all the flat empty panels, the more I want to start chopping up some styrene stock too. Good idea to extend the LEDs for the engines too. I was just going to drill the cones that the bells mate to, but after testing it had more of a "flashlight" effect than actually illuminating the whole bell. Ill give this a shot.
INVAR: top notch trenches. I didnt realize how narrow the stock trenches looked until I glued them to the bottom hull half and test fit the top half. They could have made them half again as tall.

I agree with you on Invar's trench work and the engine panel greebs, all thanks to Invar. It's inspiring isn't it. I'm still contemplating going that route with my trenches...cause his looks so incredible! That would mean at least another 200 FO points to fill. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the inside of the bells as well. extending the LED out to illuminate the entire bell is all well and good, but you can still see the LED. painting the inside of the bell something different so the light floods the entire thing, and hopefully make the LED less noticeable. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Man... I like the added detail you guys are putting around the engines. I was tempted to leave mine be, but the more I look at all the flat empty panels, the more I want to start chopping up some styrene stock too. Good idea to extend the LEDs for the engines too. I was just going to drill the cones that the bells mate to, but after testing it had more of a "flashlight" effect than actually illuminating the whole bell. Ill give this a shot.
INVAR: top notch trenches. I didnt realize how narrow the stock trenches looked until I glued them to the bottom hull half and test fit the top half. They could have made them half again as tall.

ISDENGPNL1.jpegISDENGPNL2.jpegalmost there, one more good evening at the table and the greeblies are done, then set the new bells. Then I suppose it's on to the trench raising...I've come this far, may as well go the rest of the way, right? I'll admit I've had to fudge some things cause I just didn't have the right pieces to look like Invar's...and then some stuff I'm asking myself..."how'd he do that?" But, it's good enough for who it's for. It's amazing to step back and look at just how much extra stuff is added to this one panel. Invar had a lot of fortitude to tackle this in the first place. :thumbsup

Thanks Blakeh,
I have to admit, I've toyed with greeblies with my Falcon builds, particularly since my beloved MPC kits were made so out of whack from the get-go, but this is a whole new dimension, for me anyway. I posted to Omnius' thread that thanks to he and Invar, going forward there will be next to no doing anything halfway. It's quite inspiring :thumbsup I've no doubt the other fellas that are also following the masters, feel the same way.:cool
That's pretty impressive. I wouldn't sweat it too much as it looks pretty fantastic even if it's not up to your expectations

View attachment 780872View attachment 780873almost there, one more good evening at the table and the greeblies are done, then set the new bells. Then I suppose it's on to the trench raising...I've come this far, may as well go the rest of the way, right? I'll admit I've had to fudge some things cause I just didn't have the right pieces to look like Invar's...and then some stuff I'm asking myself..."how'd he do that?" But, it's good enough for who it's for. It's amazing to step back and look at just how much extra stuff is added to this one panel. Invar had a lot of fortitude to tackle this in the first place. :thumbsup

G’day mate ,

been following this thread for awhile now and have it subbed . First off , thanks for sharing your build ( along with the one you had for the MF awhile back ) .
Secondly , ( for what it’s worth ) I think you’re doing a bang up job with all the extra greeblies you’ve been adding to what was once a pretty sparse engine area . You keep saying ‘ it’s good enough for who it’s for ‘ - right !? . Well , start believing it , cause it looks bloody good !

:cheersGed

hey there Ged, welcome! Thanks for the kind and encouraging words, most appreciated. However, none of it would have happened without Invar, Omnius, Escape, and the other guys doing this build. I'm all about the lighting aspect, but the add-ons that I've done are just following the other guys. There are some really clever minds on here, doing amazing things. That's why when I started this thread it was an open invitation to all who wanted to jump in, make friends, and collaborate and share. In turn, I think everyone's builds are better for it. We're all having a great time with this build and hopefully more in the future. Glad to have you aboard :thumbsup
G’day mate ,

been following this thread for awhile now and have it subbed . First off , thanks for sharing your build ( along with the one you had for the MF awhile back ) .
Secondly , ( for what it’s worth ) I think you’re doing a bang up job with all the extra greeblies you’ve been adding to what was once a pretty sparse engine area . You keep saying ‘ it’s good enough for who it’s for ‘ - right !? . Well , start believing it , cause it looks bloody good !

:cheersGed

Extending the height of the trenches looks great, but Ive glued the rear piece to the lower hull section. How or where did you shimm it ro match the new trench height?

I'm not entirely sure myself, Invar has a thread which I too will be studying tiltled, "Zvezda Avenger Class ISD" he's got a lot of good pics posted of what he's done. Sorry, I'm not so great at the copy and paste, but it should be easy to find.:thumbsup
Extending the height of the trenches looks great, but Ive glued the rear piece to the lower hull section. How or where did you shimm it ro match the new trench height?

All these builds are looking great with so many cool ideas making it hard to finish it. I keep doing extra stuff after seeing all these custom add-ons.

Some progress pictures and LEDs I'm using to light it with:

Neatly running all the lower FO to the rear to light with (2) 8mm cool white LEDs. Will be using tubes to hold down all the FO. A total (5) 8mm cool white LEDs to light all the FO and (2) 3mm red LEDs for some accent FO. This does not include the engine bells and hangar bay. I'm also going with cool white for the 3 accent points on each side of the trench with 0402 super small SMDs

20171219_125342smaller.jpg

Did the same with the front top

20171219_125414smaller.jpg

Added detail top:

20171219_125443smaller.jpg

Leveled the command tower and finished off where it connects at the back. The magnets hold it down very tight and flush you cannot tell its not glued which it will not be.

20171219_125522smaller.jpg 20171219_125528smaller.jpg 20171219_125550smaller.jpg 20171219_125615smaller.jpg

A closer look at the inside of the garbage chute with a back wall. I lit with flashlight for this picture. I chose a red SMD to light the interior of it which looks really cool.

20171219_125722smaller.jpg

I used tubes to run the LEDs for the engines. The smaller one fits into the larger tube so I can adjust how far the LED is inserted into the engine bells to get the most flooded / lit look. I'm trying out 5mm clear blue, clear white, diffuse blue and diffused white LEDs to see which ones have the best effect for the engine bells. The larger 8mm clear LED is for the FO and the 2mm diffused white LEDs is for the hangar bay.

20171219_125940smaller.jpg 20171219_130120smaller.jpg 20171219_130128smaller.jpg 20171219_130138smaller.jpg

Hangar bay Diffused LEDs

20171219_130046smaller.jpg

Waiting on an order of Evergreen to do all the effects around the engine bells

I tested the 6 channel RF wireless remote switch and it works really good. I also tested the Model trains IR dimmer switch with 3 sensors and that works really good. I will be using both together.

s-l1600.jpg remote-control-for-leds-20.jpg

That's all for now!......Keep the build pictures coming

hey there Ged, welcome! Thanks for the kind and encouraging words, most appreciated. However, none of it would have happened without Invar, Omnius, Escape, and the other guys doing this build. I'm all about the lighting aspect, but the add-ons that I've done are just following the other guys. There are some really clever minds on here, doing amazing things. That's why when I started this thread it was an open invitation to all who wanted to jump in, make friends, and collaborate and share. In turn, I think everyone's builds are better for it. We're all having a great time with this build and hopefully more in the future. Glad to have you aboard :thumbsup

I know right!? I love it! Looks great!, Escape..."great escape" lol...great movie. I love how neat and orderly you keep things. I'm trying to myself, somewhat. I'm just about finished with the engine panel and ready for the new bells, but still wondering what to paint the inside of them to wash out the LED sticking out there, much like yours. I thought I had resigned the idea of raising the trench walls, though I still could...but seeing Invar's, I feel like I have to now, or I'll wish I had later. So I'll have to jump over to his thread a color print som pics to go off of. This build, with all of us throwing in, (you guys more than me really) is just awesome. I think I'm gonna be sad when we're all finished :cry
All these builds are looking great with so many cool ideas making it hard to finish it. I keep doing extra stuff after seeing all these custom add-ons.

Some progress pictures and LEDs I'm using to light it with:

Neatly running all the lower FO to the rear to light with (2) 8mm cool white LEDs. Will be using tubes to hold down all the FO. A total (5) 8mm cool white LEDs to light all the FO and (2) 3mm red LEDs for some accent FO. This does not include the engine bells and hangar bay. I'm also going with cool white for the 3 accent points on each side of the trench with 0402 super small SMDs

View attachment 780900

Did the same with the front top

View attachment 780903

Added detail top:

View attachment 780904

Leveled the command tower and finished off where it connects at the back. The magnets hold it down very tight and flush you cannot tell its not glued which it will not be.

View attachment 780905 View attachment 780906 View attachment 780907 View attachment 780908

A closer look at the inside of the garbage chute with a back wall. I lit with flashlight for this picture. I chose a red SMD to light the interior of it which looks really cool.

View attachment 780909

I used tubes to run the LEDs for the engines. The smaller one fits into the larger tube so I can adjust how far the LED is inserted into the engine bells to get the most flooded / lit look. I'm trying out 5mm clear blue, clear white, diffuse blue and diffused white LEDs to see which ones have the best effect for the engine bells. The larger 8mm clear LED is for the FO and the 2mm diffused white LEDs is for the hangar bay.

View attachment 780910 View attachment 780911 View attachment 780912 View attachment 780913

Hangar bay Diffused LEDs

View attachment 780914

Waiting on an order of Evergreen to do all the effects around the engine bells

I tested the 6 channel RF wireless remote switch and it works really good. I also tested the Model trains IR dimmer switch with 3 sensors and that works really good. I will be using both together.

View attachment 780918 View attachment 780919

That's all for now!......Keep the build pictures coming

Very nice Escape. The red smd leds are a cool idea. Im picturing the red lights coming on right before the eject the junk into space!

I tried taking a picture with the red light on but it came out orange and blurry with all lights turned off. Its really all red and no orange at all but my camera phone is not that good. It's an S4

Very nice Escape. The red smd leds are a cool idea. Im picturing the red lights coming on right before the eject the junk into space!

Last edited:
Just started testing the blue and white color LEDs for the engines. What you can do is use your old bells and paint one silver and paint the other one white and see how it looks by moving the LED back and fourth. I would paint flat or satin white instead of gloss. I will do same test to see what I like best

I know right!? I love it! Looks great!, Escape..."great escape" lol...great movie. I love how neat and orderly you keep things. I'm trying to myself, somewhat. I'm just about finished with the engine panel and ready for the new bells, but still wondering what to paint the inside of them to wash out the LED sticking out there, much like yours. I thought I had resigned the idea of raising the trench walls, though I still could...but seeing Invar's, I feel like I have to now, or I'll wish I had later. So I'll have to jump over to his thread a color print som pics to go off of. This build, with all of us throwing in, (you guys more than me really) is just awesome. I think I'm gonna be sad when we're all finished :cry

I just tested diffused white & blue LEDs round top and wide angle white & blue LEDs that have a flat top. I cut a piece of .10mm white styrene in a circle and put it over the small hole at the bottom of the bell. When lit it makes the center all white and does a nice job of lighting up the sides of the bell. The wide angle ones seem to be brighter than the regular LEDs.

I really don't like it too much being able to see the LEDs in the center. The white styrene cover does a nice job of covering them and making the center all white but it's slightly dimmer then without the covers. The wide angle LEDs in white or blue look really good with the cover. I think the white looks brightest of the 2. I have not painted the inside of the bells so I was looking at bells in the dark see through gray. I assume it will be even brighter when the inside of the of the bells are painted flat white.

Still testing.....I may sand the wide angle ones a bit and see if that gives it a more diffused look. The wide angle ones are water clear. If I like the way it looks sanded I have to see if they sell them in diffused version

A few pictures.......They are not exact to what I'm seeing but they give you an idea....The blue in person is all blue without any purple that you see in the pictures.

Diffused White with cover:

20171219_154415smaller.jpg

Diffused White no cover:

20171219_154451smaller.jpg 20171219_154515smaller.jpg

Diffused Blue with cover:

20171219_154758smaller.jpg

Diffused Blue No cover:

20171219_154816smaller.jpg

Wide Angle Blue with cover:

20171219_160141smaller.jpg

Wide Angle Blue no cover:

20171219_155929smaller.jpg

Wide Angle White with cover:

20171219_162739smaller.jpg 20171219_163007smaller.jpg 20171219_163012smaller.jpg

The pictures don't show brightness and color the way I'm seeing it but hope it serves as a guide.

To me the wide angle LEDs in blue or white with the cover is slightly dimmer then without the cover but I think it looks best when compared to the other ones.

I haven't gotten to the assembly of the engine section to the hull yet. Probably not for a couple of months yet anyway. Once I get the trench greeblies done on both sides of the bulk hulls top and bottom and all holes for FO drilled, I will then likely glue the engine section to the bottom hull section. I plan to use carefully carved styrene sheets angled at the same degree to shim the top edges to the top of the engine area assembly when the top hull is glued down to the bottom hull. I will have 1.5 mm to fill along the entire top of the engine assembly, as that is the height I raised the trenches. That will happen after light-blocking, fiber and electronics are run and placed, and the model is fully greeblied and lit. It will likely be the very last assembly I do before priming and painting.

Hey, I just had a thought...what if we tried to set these up like an old style headlamp in a car...build a funnel shaped cover, or cone to hid the LED, then a collar at the LED mount (tube) with like 3 strut sort of pieces to support it, then the light comes throught the styrene cone, but is also reflected back into the bell? I'm not sure I could get to that for a few days yet...but it just popped into my head.
A few pictures.......They are not exact to what I'm seeing but they give you an idea....The blue in person is all blue without any purple that you see in the pictures.

Diffused White with cover:

View attachment 780931

Diffused White no cover:

View attachment 780932 View attachment 780933

Diffused Blue with cover:

View attachment 780934

Diffused Blue No cover:

View attachment 780936

Wide Angle Blue with cover:

View attachment 780939

Wide Angle Blue no cover:

View attachment 780941

Wide Angle White with cover:

View attachment 780942 View attachment 780943 View attachment 780944

The pictures don't show brightness and color the way I'm seeing it but hope it serves as a guide.

To me the wide angle LEDs in blue or white with the cover is slightly dimmer then without the cover but I think it looks best when compared to the other ones.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Nice job on all the experimentation, I hadn't gone any further than the extension tubes.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back