WonderCon Anaheim 2018, March 23-25

For lots of people like myself, who went to Comicon for more than 30 years in a row, I think the convention has been utterly ruined by being a media con and catering to Hollywood. I will never step foot back in that convention until it gets out of San Diego, which is far, far too small for the number of people at the convention.

I work with several people, long-time San Diego attendees, who have expressed those exact sentiments. Some still go every year, some have stopped going. What they say about San Diego doesn't make me want to go.

In fact last year's LA Anime expo seemed on the verge of getting too big for its britches. Too hard to park, too hard to get in, too crowded once you get in.

I work with several people, long-time San Diego attendees, who have expressed those exact sentiments. Some still go every year, some have stopped going. What they say about San Diego doesn't make me want to go.

In fact last year's LA Anime expo seemed on the verge of getting too big for its britches. Too hard to park, too hard to get in, too crowded once you get in.

The problem with the LA Convention Center, and Wondercon wound up there one year because they couldn't get the weekend they wanted in Anaheim, but the LA Convention Center is in the middle of a terrible area. There are very few nearby businesses. It's just a terrible place and a terrible convention center and had Wondercon kept going there, I would have stopped because the venue sucks. Even San Diego is better than LA. The problem with San Diego is the size of the convention. It's why they sell out so fast every year. The Convention Center simply is not large enough for an event that size. All the way through, you're swept along by an endless wave of humanity. There aren't enough hotel rooms, by far, to house everyone. They have to ration parking because there aren't enough spaces for all of the cars. The lines for all of the panels are hours long, in fact, to get into Hall H, you have to wait overnight and then you can't leave or you'll never get back in.

In all honesty, the only places for a con the size of SDCC is Vegas or Chicago. I vote Vegas. It won't kiss Comicon's ass the way San Diego has, but it allows for almost unlimited growth, there are more than enough hotels, tons of parking and multiple convention centers that SDCC could never outgrow. They keep putting off the move but it's inevitable because the convention is stifled right now. It can't grow anymore and San Diego has lied time and time again in their plans to increase space at the convention center. It will never happen. Just move and get it over with already.

Sigh. San Diego Comic-Con in another city is no longer San Diego Comic-Con (duh). Seriously though, I'm tired of people saying it should move to City X because it's outgrown San Diego. What makes SDCC so special is its location and long history. You take the location and history out of it and it's just another big convention. Ho-hum. They need to expand the convention center in San Diego. Meanwhile other conventions in other cities should continue to grow so people who don't want to deal with the crowds can go to those conventions.

WonderCon has grown pretty well over the years in Anaheim and is a great alternative for those who want to avoid the big crowds of SDCC. I agree with what the above poster said about LA Convention Center though. Its not a great location and it has a weird layout. The Anaheim Convention Center was recently remodeled/expanded so we will see how that goes in a few weeks.

The problem with the LA Convention Center, and Wondercon wound up there one year because they couldn't get the weekend they wanted in Anaheim, but the LA Convention Center is in the middle of a terrible area... It's just a terrible place and a terrible convention center and had Wondercon kept going there, I would have stopped because the venue sucks.

The thing is, in the space of one year I went to four events held at the LA Convention Center (Wondercon, Anime Expo, Comikaze, and the LA Auto Show) and they all went smoothly except for Anime Expo. Yes the parking situation is the same for all, but it seemed acceptable, due to my arriving early enough not to get stuck in traffic trying to get into the parking structure, or getting turned away.

What was very different was the efficiency of processing people into the event. Everyone except Anime Expo had sufficient staff that getting everyone into the event was quick. Anime Expo had long lines to get in in 2016 (around an hour wait) and much worse lines in 2017 (a five hour wait to get in). The wait to get into Wondercon and Comikaze was zero. They had more staff than they needed to hand out badges. Anime Expo has maybe 10 people handing out badges to 50,000 people. It's ridiculous, and I swore never to attend Anime Expo again... but this year they're mailing out the badges, so I bought mine. (They'll probably have a three-hour-line to get in WITH your badge! Who can say, they'll find some way to screw it up.)

So what does everyone think about Wondercon's new change where you sign up for a lottery for the signings online? I am only going one day so I just applied for every available signing they had on that day.

The thing is, in the space of one year I went to four events held at the LA Convention Center (Wondercon, Anime Expo, Comikaze, and the LA Auto Show) and they all went smoothly except for Anime Expo. Yes the parking situation is the same for all, but it seemed acceptable, due to my arriving early enough not to get stuck in traffic trying to get into the parking structure, or getting turned away.

What was very different was the efficiency of processing people into the event. Everyone except Anime Expo had sufficient staff that getting everyone into the event was quick. Anime Expo had long lines to get in in 2016 (around an hour wait) and much worse lines in 2017 (a five hour wait to get in). The wait to get into Wondercon and Comikaze was zero. They had more staff than they needed to hand out badges. Anime Expo has maybe 10 people handing out badges to 50,000 people. It's ridiculous, and I swore never to attend Anime Expo again... but this year they're mailing out the badges, so I bought mine. (They'll probably have a three-hour-line to get in WITH your badge! Who can say, they'll find some way to screw it up.)

I really don't care about parking because I have a hotel within walking distance from the CC (Red Lion). So I park on Friday morning and my car doesn't move until Sunday afternoon. Now I will admit that Wondercon, the first couple of years, was terrible about processing people, putting up signs, pretty much everything. The one year they were in Los Angeles, the first year they were using their RFID tags, you had to swipe in and out dozens of times per day. It was horrible. But in the last couple of years, they seem to have figured out what they were doing and are pretty good at it. You'd figure they'd have to be, considering it's the same company as SDCC and their lines aren't that bad unless you want to get into an event or Hall H or whatever.

Anybody know this year’s policy on weapons? I looked but didn’t see anything bout it. I’m interested in their policy on metal weapons(swords) as I’ll prob run punk rock link Saturday but not sure if I’ll have to zip tie it to sheath or leave it at home

So what does everyone think about Wondercon's new change where you sign up for a lottery for the signings online? I am only going one day so I just applied for every available signing they had on that day.
Much like the RFID badges last year, I can see the higher ups at Comic-Con International use this as a test to implement at SDCC later. I think it's actually a good thing. This will allow lucky fans to not have to gamble with the autograph lottery wasting many people's time, and the big problem at SDCC with some autographs is that vendors end up getting inside for these before attendees can.

I can also see them implement this for some exclusives as well.

Anybody know this year’s policy on weapons? I looked but didn’t see anything bout it. I’m interested in their policy on metal weapons(swords) as I’ll prob run punk rock link Saturday but not sure if I’ll have to zip tie it to sheath or leave it at home

When I looked they had their weapons policy posted on the WonderCon site. I don't remember what it said about swords, I was interested in the gun policy, which seemed to be like in past years: replica guns are OK but of course must be inspected and tagged by security personnel.

Much like the RFID badges last year, I can see the higher ups at Comic-Con International use this as a test to implement at SDCC later. I think it's actually a good thing. This will allow lucky fans to not have to gamble with the autograph lottery wasting many people's time, and the big problem at SDCC with some autographs is that vendors end up getting inside for these before attendees can.

I can also see them implement this for some exclusives as well.

Agreed, I did notice a big problem at comic con where vendors were cutting the line for merchandise/lego/funko so they could scalp the items for their own booths/ebay.

I hope SDCC implements this for exclusives as well. And I know my chances of getting the big signings are still small , but hopefully much better now with the lottery.

I Guess it took a while for it to update or I did not find it the first time I searched

"
  • Costume swords must be tied to your costume in such a way that they can’t be drawn."

So looks like I will be leaving my sword in my car/home as I could never get it tied up right so it doesn't come out of it's holster/sheath.

Very disappointed that there are no major stars showing up for this WC. Other cities are advertising actor visits, etc. So far we just have animators which is fine.

Just signed up for all the Exclusive Autograph sessions.

With weapons clause I think I'll be Indy on Saturday and Kylo on Sunday!

Any groups getting together for big photo sessions by genre?

Very disappointed that there are no major stars showing up for this WC. Other cities are advertising actor visits, etc. So far we just have animators which is fine.

Just signed up for all the Exclusive Autograph sessions.

With weapons clause I think I'll be Indy on Saturday and Kylo on Sunday!

Any groups getting together for big photo sessions by genre?

Yeah, ive been leaving my whips at home most conventions because of the weapons clause...

Hoping that I get picked for some of the drawings, really hoping for it. Although still have to wait a week to see if I was picked.

So far havent heard about any Indy gatherings there which is a shame.

With people cosplaying so far into character ie... make up etc. It is hard to know RPF members besides the few I already have met in person such as Brad(Jedifyfe) Matt Munson and Pump mag... So if you see a "punk rock link" (minus a sword) running around make sure to come say hello, and introduce yourself. I would love to get a picture with as many rpf members as possible.

It is hard to know RPF members besides the few I already have met in person...

Yes, that's what I was thinking about, so I posted photos of myself in the characters I plan on doing each day earlier in this thread.

The first time I did Chief Hopper a guy I know very well didn't recognise me!

So it would be really cool if some of you could post photos of what you're going to be each day, so I can keep an eye out.

here is the 2 pictures of me I could find from last year's wonder con in my "punk-rock link" cosplay. it is my take on if Link somehow got transported to current times and became a punk rocker. Overall it was pretty cheap to do... Under $250 that then jumped to just under $500 when I upgraded my shield to a full metal one. Anyway if you see me around Saturday do not hesitate to tap me on the shoulder or say hi

image.jpg

image.jpg

Look for me at the Lost in Space panel in my TOS Don West...

Yes, that's what I was thinking about, so I posted photos of myself in the characters I plan on doing each day earlier in this thread.

The first time I did Chief Hopper a guy I know very well didn't recognise me!

So it would be really cool if some of you could post photos of what you're going to be each day, so I can keep an eye out.

I purchased my all-weekend ticket a while back.

Hope to see you there!

I will be doing

Friday: Chief Hopper (Stranger Things)

Saturday: Dr Henry Walton Jones Sr
(Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)

Sunday: (probably) Allan Quatermain (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

If you see me please come up and say "hi" , or mention what characters you all will be doing so we can keep an eye out for each other.

Here they are:

https://i.imgur.com/a0zKUJc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ROiU9U2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xIvfq8p.jpg

Lookin good!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back