Robby The Robot Auction Preview

mercuryapollo

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Robby the Robot is going up for auction tomorrow as part of Bonham's Out of This World Auction. I was able to get over to the preview to check it out. The man who currently owns it was there talking to people and answering some questions. He even turned it on so could see the light and relays function. Forbidden Planet has always been one of my favorite movies so it was great to see Robby in person. If i only had a spare million. IMG_0136.JPGIMG_0146.JPGIMG_0164.JPG

TCM was having a "Robby" marathon yesterday. Forbidden Planet and then The Invisible Boy.
They discussed the auction in between movies.

I'd forgotten he was also in a twilight zone episode.

I hope Paul Allen buys him and displays him in the sci-fi museum in Seattle.

Thanks for the photos! I never realized until just now he had those aluminum
looking fins near his spinning ear/probe things.

Way cool they have all the shipping crates and the original dome.

I heard the "Jeep" vehicle he drove in Forbidden Planet is included...was that there?

Last edited:
The jeep was not there but is part of the auction. It was back in California. In talking to the owner I found it surprising the the Robot is not made of any fiberglass. It is wood, formed plastic, aluminum, rubber and acetate.

Depending on how you calculate it, including buyers premium, Robby was the second highest piece of movie memorabilia ever sold. Marilyn Monroe's dress from the Seven Year itch is the first highest.

Really cool video! Love seeing that old stuff still in action!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are a few more photos from the auction preview. The close up of the foot shows an air inlet where an air hose was attached to cool down the actor inside.

IMG_0145.jpgIMG_0141.jpgIMG_0148.jpgIMG_0140.jpgIMG_0137.jpgIMG_0143.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back