Mylar-coated wire for grapple gun project?

gregday

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For awhile I've been searching out the best wire to use for a Batman grapple gun project. I want to avoid something weak like string. But most wire out there similar to picture frame hanging wire, which is nice and strong but too rigid, tending to keep the shape it's bent into, and also doesn't have the right smooth texture I'm looking for. Even the plastic coated hanging wire still has the rigidity problem.

Then it occurred to me what would be perfect: the mylar-coated wire used in high end retractable badge reels. The problem is every badge reel comes with about 36" of wire inside, and I need substantially more.

Does anyone know a more formal name for this stuff or where to get it in bulk/long unbroken segments?

Have you tried looking at stainless steel wire rope cable. Strong, flexible, has a good look to it. I reckon 0.6/0.8mm would work well. It's pretty cheap too. I found some on ebay for about £9 for 50m. I mean you won't be scaling buildings with it but it's better than string.
51e8e562c9ee38446028fa81e44778a4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back