Officer K Blaster Build (Elilay's kit v1)

PAULH

Hello All, I'm a relatively new entrant to the hobby and have gained a lot of knowledge from what all of you post on the RPF. It's a great community to be involved with!

I thought I'd start my own thread on my build of Officer K's blaster from Elilay's recent run. It seemed to me that the trickiest part of the build would be replicating the carbon fibre grips. I've read about the different routes to achieve this, such as with vinyl film, hydro-dipping, and using a perforated rubber mat as a paint mask. But I came up with an alternative which, while time-consuming to achieve, gave me results I am more than happy with.

Initially, my plan was to use the rubber mat paint mask method but I quickly realised after getting one that It wouldn't stretch and so wouldn't conform around the finger grooves. For that approach I'd prepared the grip with automotive primer and then a few coats of Audi Phantom Black (a deep metallic black). So I ditched that ideas and did this:

After a light coat of silver, I applied 3mm automotive masking tape cut into squares in a chequer-board pattern.

2049 Grip 1.jpg

Still at it some time later...

GRIP2.jpg

And then finally done...(sorry I didn't rotate the pic)

GRIP3.jpg

I then shot the whole thing with the Audi paint I'd used to start with, let it dry, and then carefully picked off all the tape squares (which also took ages).

The next step was to lightly sand it with 2500 grit paper, and then shoot it with a mist coat of the black paint, followed by six coats of gloss lacquer. Here's the finished result which I think looks pretty good compared with the actual prop.

This was after one coat of lacquer:

GRIP5.jpg

And here it is totally finished:

GRIP4.jpg

GRIP6.jpg

It's not evident in my pictures, but in the recent Savage/Harlocker video it looks as though the grip has a black strap down the back edge. So I masked that off and sprayed it black before I applied the lacquer. It may have been a trick of the light in the video but I think it looks good on my grip.

Just to add that before I did any painting, I drilled out the underneath and put some steel rods in to add a bit more weight. Filled, sanded, etc, etc.

As the build progresses, I'll update this thread. Of course, there's a bit more carbon to be done above the trigger guard.

Thanks for looking.

Amazing work! Finish on grip looks so juciy. That laquer is in spray can, or you use it in airbrush ?

My next step with this build was to enhance accuracy by replacing moulded-in detail with some actual parts. I started with the LEDs in the trigger guard and got some from RS Components (part 587-080). The plan was for them not to be functioning but just look good. The width of the trigger guard meant that I'd need to cut the LED in half along with its holder. Here is a pic of the original parts along with a sub-assembly of the cut-down bulb and holder. At this stage I'd also sanded off the moulded-in LEDs and drilled an appropriate hole:

K BULB 1.jpg

And here is a finished bulb fitted into the trigger guard:

K BULB 2.jpg

My attention then turned to the bracket that wraps around the gun from underneath. I sanded off the four screw heads, drilled some holes in their place, and into the body of the gun. Here's the result using some screws I had to hand (I might grind the heads down to reduce their height:

K BULB 3.jpg

I've made some good progress in the last week or so, and here is how it currently looks:

K blaster paint 1.jpg

Essentially there are four finishes on the main part of the gun (at least that's what I can make out from the Savage/Harlocker video) - a bit more carbon fibre, the rear receiver in matt black, front section in gloss black, and the grills in matt black. Obviously, some masking would be needed for painting each part so I figured out this order of doing things:

1) Silver base coat over the whole thing
2) Carbon fibre using the same technique I used on the grip.
3) Mask everything other than the carbon fibre and shoot the lacquer (Because I was applying around five coats, I didn't want that much elsewhere on the gun)
4) Mask of completed carbon fibre (needed a few days for the lacquer to harden)
5) Shoot the whole thing in matt black.
6) Mask off the rear receiver, carbon fibre, and grills, and shoot the remainder in gloss black.

In the pic I've started to add some wear to the receiver and trigger guard. For this I use a combination of metal polish (more controllable than emery paper when wearing through the black paint to the silver base layer), various emery paper (800 grit +), and my finger nail! I've found that before paint goes fully hard a fingernail is great for added tiny random chips and scratches.

The next photos are likely to be of the finished piece.

Thanks for looking...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back