Help with materials

DashYay

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but, I want to make my first pepakura (zenyatta's helmet), but im already stuck on what kind of materials i should use. since in almost every tutorial they buy it from american sites or atleast outside of europe. Everything has a different word too here so i dont know what kind of (paper?) i need to make it. I live in the Netherlands. Thanks in advance!

Choose the material to which you will be comfortable to work with. I prefer paper with a density of 180 g/m2 for pepakura.
Some posts are dedicated to making of EVA foam (Ethyleenvinylacetaat in Nederlands) - this mats for children, insulation

Agree with Plastic Armory :) something like card but not so difficult to fold.

As for finishing/continuing with the piece there are a few good options depending on what you're willing to do.

Good practice is to build the piece with the paper/card - then coat that with fiberglass resin (adds a bit of stability) then fiberglass over the top of that and the finishing process to go with it.

If you're looking for a cheap option - theres always the classic Papier Mache or Plaster of Paris (but plaster is heavy) - these options are a lot harder to get looking "real" cause they're not plastic based (polyfiller - or any kind of plaster used for filling cracks in walls - works for smoothness and sands well).

Print the Pep onto 180g/m2 (or 200) paper, it should feel stiffer than normal printer paper (lightweight card) but still be able to go through a normal printer.

Resin your model - (in the UK i use a product called 'EpoxAmite 101')

Add some Fiberglass matting + Resin to the inside. (you should find fiberglass matting on amazon easily, and the resin is the same stuff as above)
I bought '100g 2 x 2 Twill Weave Glass Fabric (1m)' from a UK based online company https://www.fibreglassdirect.co.uk

Then use Bondo on the outside and sand sand sand.... (in the UK I buy this stuff 'Isopon P38' to use - not sure what you get in your country)

You can also RONDO the inside of your helmet to cover the rough fiberglass/resin and add more strength. Rondo is simply a half&half mixture of both your Bondo and Resin products.

Good Pep Thread showing all stages:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=255611

EDIT: feel free to ask any more questions, I know I spammed some people here with Questions when doing my first build.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back