MMPR Legacy Morpher Question

Eblobulator

Hi all I haven't posted here in a long time. Anyways I have the MMPR Legacy Morpher which is die cast metal. I bought an aftermarket Green Ranger coin but I would like to paint it gold.

I'm sure you're asking yourself, "Why not just buy the Green Ranger Legacy Morpher?" ...well I am not gonna pay the ridiculous prices for it.

Anyways I am wondering what is the best way to strip the die cast so I can properly repaint it gold? I read that acetone can remove die cast but not sure. I'd appreciate the help.

P.S. Mods if this is the wrong section of the forum to post this please feel free to move it.

First off, we need to clarify the term "Die Cast."
"Die" as is used here has nothing to do with the coloring on the metal, but rather the way the piece was manufactured. A Die in machining terms is a stamp of sorts made from hardened tool steel and is used to form a mold for the finished piece, not to be confused with the word "Dye" as in a coloring.
That said, most Die cast pieces are either painted with a baked on enamel finish or electro-plated in some sort of metallic finish. There is also the possibility of the piece being anodized. I see no reason why acetone or maybe lacquer thinner would not remove the enamel paint without harm to the metal. The second two options, use an electrical current and a chemically infused Dye, respectively and are not removable with chemicals to my knowledge. Case in point, a bright shiny new penny has been electroplated in copper. Acetone will not hurt that.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back