Destiny Warlock Helmet Questions

Pitje

Hey guys,

First post on the forum here, I'm getting extremely frustrated with never getting the scale right of a pep project I'm trying to do.
I started out with Halo helmets but they always ended up too small to put my head in, or like a giant blob on my head.

Currently very much into destiny and wanted to make a warlock helmet.
Scaled the neck opening up enough to fit my head through, but then the width of the helmet ends up at 40cm, which seems enormous to me.

pepakura4_2017-11-19_20-51-14.png

My measurements are : 26cm from bottom of chin to top of head (straight measurement, no curves), 24cm from back of head to tip of nose (also straight) and 16.5cm from ear to ear (straight as well). I know I got a big ol head.

So I scaled the model in a way that the neck opening was around 18cm wide so I could fit my head in easy:
pepakura4_2017-11-19_20-53-46.png

But doing this I end up with a huge model (396mm wide instead of 300mm)
This is the original:
pepakura4_2017-11-19_20-54-44.png

I also included the .pdo file in case someone wants to take a look.

What am I doing wrong here guys. I've been dying to get my hands on projects like these. I think they could really help me relax and have fun, but I'm so done with constantly getting the scales wrong.

I hope someone here can help me out!

Sincerely,

Pitje

PS: Hope this is the right place to post this, mods feel free to move it and inform me if I'm in the wrong section!

Attachments

• Destiny_Warlock_Helmet_V1.zip
    243 KB · Views: 164
Sometimes helmets just look too big unless more armour is added (Stormtrooper helmets are a good example of that.)
But what I imagine the issue here is, since helmet designs in Halo and Destiny are meant to appear small and tight to the head, scaling the neck opening to fit your head easily will make the helmet too big. I would recommend splitting it into a front and a back piece that you can put on as two halves and snap together with magnets. This method is more common than you'd think among many tight helmets, cowls and masks.

As has been said, splitting the helmet is a good idea, but i know that since its a warlock helmet and theres nothing to cover it up (damn hunters with their cloaks) that might look weird. another option might be to leave a layer or two from the bottom of the helmet, so its a loose part. that way the opening is bigger and itll fit your head, and you can use the other two layers as another piece(s) to be attached after youve put the helmet on. either way, scale it so it doesnt look weird, and be creative with the opening.

As others said, make a cut-away section. Doesn’t even have to be 1/2 Mask. Attached are pictures of a 3D printed Hunter helmet I printed/assembled/painted (I didn’t design it, and can’t remember who to credit).

Instead of using pegs to attach the back piece, I used small magnets. Holds really well. Put the front piece on, then snap the back part around the back of your neck.

Scale the model so the inside fits well around your head. Neck opening isn’t an issue.
55a00564698aa2a46e688f6f4cf9d6c1.jpg
f60a7cf5bf6fe1ae6e80be393705c76d.jpg
34dd4cdbc616ab45851fe402dd3bcb1a.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back