Looking for 3inch (or slightly larger) clear plastic hemispheres

SpaceCrawler

I need two 3 inch (or maybe 3.25 or 3.5) clear plastic hemispheres with a small flange on the rim (or, even better, 3 tabs), similar to the photo below. I'd prefer a very light weight plastic, maybe vacuum formed, rather than acrylic (acrylic seems to be the only kind I can find online). Anyone have any suggestions?

Custom-clear-acrylic-half-dome-cover.jpg

Sean

Easiest way would be to glue a flange on 3” plastruct hemispheres.

This is a 4” former I made to make Classic Dalek hemis.

I used a 4” plastruct hemi as a mold for an ultracal 30 buck.

Cut 4” holesaw holes into 3/4” plywood to make a frame for plastic and a mount for the buck.

I epoxied a plywood cut-out to raise my buck on the same plane with the base of my hemi casting. If I were to do this again, I would raise my buck height by the thickness of the material being thermoformed.

From there, I heated my plastic in a toaster oven and pressed it over the buck. (no vacuum)

50AF0F23-A5F4-420A-9BF0-9D53B1450FFD.jpeg292234D8-F2F2-4B82-BFF8-8247E7167544.jpeg139F635C-B064-45DC-B136-836C07C78E4C.jpeg3D73B672-5392-4056-923F-A82EB341EC67.jpeg

A word of warning to people with OCD.

These photos were taken upright, but posted sideways. I am sure there is some iPhone metadata compatibility issue with the forum software but am not going to be fixing these.

A word of warning to people with OCD.

These photos were taken upright, but posted sideways. I am sure there is some iPhone metadata compatibility issue with the forum software but am not going to be fixing these.

That's been happening a lot lately, but they display properly if you open them in a new tab.

Yeah, I have a few but the are just slightly too small - if they had a flange they'd work but are still a bit too thick. Was hoping to find ones that were real thin acetate (or whatever kind of plastic vaccuform or common consumer packing is made from).

Sean

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back