creature from the Black Lagoon

lamay

I just finished a quick build of the creature costume for a friends college film project. I started with a borrowed mannequin, I used a 20 year old dive skin rash guard suit and drew the basic layout of the scale patterns on it. creature  (4).JPG
Next came testing adhesives, since it would have to get wet at some point. The tests were, latex rubber both on the suit and on the EVA foam, failure. E6000 adhesive on the foam, better, but still failure to hold together after immersion. DAP contact cement, success, very smelly job but good adhesion even after soaking in water.
I then started cutting out the 3mm eva foam pieces and texturing them with a soldering iron.creature  (5).JPG
I applied the contact cement to both surfaces and then glued them togeather after it became tacky. I started from the bottom and worked my way up the mannequin.creature  (11).JPG creature  (12).JPG The rash guard suit I had is a front zipper style, so I just worked around it, a rear zipper would be the best I think. I continued to add individually cut foam pieces one at a time until the suit was covered.creature  (17).JPG creature  (23).JPG
I added velcro attachments to secure the commercially made mask to the suit.creature  (22).JPG At this point I painted liguid latex rubber over the entire suit with the hope that it would help hold all the pieces togeather as one piece.creature  (24).JPG
Next came painting with acrylic paints. creature  (32).JPG creature  (33).JPG all done with a brush, air brush would probably be better.
creature (3).JPG IMG_8196.JPG creature (5).JPG
Removing the suit from the saran wrapped mannequin was a 1 hour hellish endeavor, I don't know what would've made it easier, but the suit came off undamaged and intact after literally peeling it off the mannequin.

You said it was hard getting it off the manikin. How hard was it to put on and move in? Did it have a good range of movement? Also How well did it hold up.? Wondering how well this method works.
Thanks for any Info. BTW it look great. Immaculate work.

Great work. Is the mask the Rubies one? I only ask as the Rubies mask is insanely small. It barely fits a child let alone an adult. I've been after a good creature mask for years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Great creature suit.
we are working on a project where we need to find a suit like this. Any chance you still have this relatively intact???

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back