1:144 Junk Speeder Scratchbuild

monsterpartyhat

Sr Member
This was a fairly quick build - I mostly built this while waiting for replacement drill bits to arrive for my Millennium Falcon build (since I broke almost every tiny drill bit I had in my first attempt to drill out holes for fiber optics...
think.gif
). It's a custom 1/144th scale land speeder built up from a pair of X-wing engines "donated" by a Bandai vehicle model kit.

This is obviously heavily influenced by Jake Lunt Davies' Jakku speeder concept design from The Force Awakens, that ended up used in a 360 degree VR video on YouTube and a terrible Hasbro toy. While not attempting to actually build *that* speeder, I definitely used the overall layout as a plan for it.

Here it is next to a Vehicle Model X-wing for scale:

And I thought it was funny how much space all the paint that went onto it take up next to the model itself :):

Lots more, including WIP photos, in the flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aalpern/albums/72157689673841005

I used a combination of a couple of gauges of music wire, and aluminum tubing for the steering vanes and roll cage. The pilot's seat is one of TonyRR's Millennium Falcon seats from Shapeways (and now I need to order more of those....). The control stick and some piping I added to the back of the engine nacelles after re-locating the exhaust tubes is actually snippets of the docking ring piping from the Bandai TFA Millennium Falcon, and part of the underside is those little bits of sprue attached to the wings of the vehicle model X-wings...

There's a lot more cockpit detail I would add in a larger scale, but this was stretching my abilities as it is.

I've already got another variant in progress with the other engine pair from the donor X-wing model. I'm working on a much cleaner build of the tubing/wire portions, with less glue and paint buildup.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back