Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Post-release)

What did you think of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald?

• Total voters
Ahh, cool thanks. I've checked it out, the implications on his potential offspring are very interesting.

*edited as I had my family crests mixed up* I wonder if the bird under Corvus' name will have any significance, other than it being an illustration of the name.

I took my husband to see this movie today as part of his birthday present. We both really enjoyed it, even though there were a couple potentially problematic plot holes introduced by the twist at the end, both of us walked away feeling satisfied.

Jude Law did not disappoint as young Dumbledore, and I am definitely curious to see where the next installment is going to go.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, though there were definitely inconsistencies with prior materials.

I really enjoyed Grindelwald's speech at the end - he came across as entirely reasonable, and his vision of WW2 was a great use of a legitimate threat to sell his agenda..

I certainly think it's a grave mistake to assume that Grindewald is being entirely honest.

I am hoping it’s a total lie. I’ve been watching some theories on YouTube, and one of which includes he’s lying and that’s why he had to killed the little house keeper/baby sitter/nanny (what ever she was)

I am hoping it’s a total lie. I’ve been watching some theories on YouTube, and one of which includes he’s lying and that’s why he had to killed the little house keeper/baby sitter/nanny (what ever she was)

That makes total sense to me.

Loved the movie. I really like seeing things outside of Hogwarts.

The only part that really bothered me were the up close face shots in some of the Newt/Leta scenes. I know they were trying to convey their feelings, but it seemed a bit much. Took up too much of the entire movie screen.

That makes total sense to me.

Loved the movie. I really like seeing things outside of Hogwarts.

The only part that really bothered me were the up close face shots in some of the Newt/Leta scenes. I know they were trying to convey their feelings, but it seemed a bit much. Took up too much of the entire movie screen.

You know the Carlin brothers said the same exact thing about the close ups. I don’t even remember them!

I was disappointed in this movie, which is a shame because I was really looking forward to seeing it. Watching this movie made me feel like I was trying to piece together a full phone conversation after only hearing what one person was saying. There were many scenes where I didn't know what was going on and many characters that I had no idea of who they were. I share many of the same thoughts that Jenny Nicholson discusses in the video that dascoyne posted.

At this point, I wished JK Rowling had written this as a series of novels first and maybe adapt them to film later.

Also, I found Redmayne's awkwardness a little too much in this movie. I like the performance in the first movie or at least I thought I could come to like him when I got to know him better. He is a really weird guy. I mean you can tell that he is a good guy with a good heart and everything but I'm still not sure if I like him... Did anyone else feel that it was overdone this time?

I don't know I'm having trouble explaining my feelings with words. :) Hopefully some of you understand what I'm getting at.

I read the Wikipedia summary afterwards and it makes more sense. But really I shouldn't have to do that. Another viewing might make it better. Right now I don't feel like seeing it again. Maybe when it comes out on dvd.

Jenny Nicholson's comic delivery is great: "At least they could have referred to this as 'the Creedence Revival' ... but I guess this is amateur hour."

Last edited:
Being a potter nerd I liked it but did have a few issues with it.

The one major one, other than the credence reveal (which felt really pushed) was how Queenie & Jacob were introduced, it was almost comical and I felt it could have been done better.

In the first movie we kind of guessed the obliviate spell was going wear off and they were going to be together again but I would have liked something like Queenie lifts the spell by using some ancient dark magic and has to run off to england with Jacob to hide from the authorities, something with a dark kind of twist to add more colour to her character, she's a nice girl but she's prepared to do whatever it takes to protect the ones she loves, I did though love how her character transforms in the end.

I loved it. It has some flaws, but I really can't understand why everyone's picking on it?

I’m amazed this thread isn’t more popular, I’m also surprised at a lot of the reviews on YouTube being negative

It did have a lot of characters for me to follow.. I still don’t understand who the black man was in he top hat.. and if he isn’t related to credence why is he dying?

But maybe when the movie comes out and I watch it a few more times it will click

Yes, there is no doubt that this is a very character-heavy and complicated story....which is exactly what real fans want from J.K. Rowling. It's so much fun trying to figure it all out, what everything means and putting all the pieces of the puzzle together. Since it is just the second installment (of 5) in the mystery, we're not going to have all the answers that we want at this point, that's for sure.

Yusef Kama, the man you're asking about, took an unbreakable vow with his father (Mustafa Kama) at his deathbed, to kill the person who Corvus Lestrange IV (Leta's father) loved most in the world...his son. Yusef's mother was stolen from him (and his father) by Corvus' imperiousing her and making her leave them. While Leta was also Corvus's child, he didn't really care about her.

Yusuf Kama

I don't think he is dying...wasn't he there at the end, helping Nicolas Flamel extinguish the fiendfire at the French cemetary and also at Hogwarts at the end when Newt delivered the phial to Dumbledore?

This might help you a bit too....

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back