A L I E N Narcissus *Completed*

Looks great! Thats what i did with my Sandcrawler too. But that was simpler cause being a ground vehicle i didnt really need an armature.

When you finally get to put it all together in real life... thatll be so satisfying

Incredible animation of the acrylic parts going together! Thanks for sharing that. It really shows how much passion and hard work you put into this project!

I've started to organise the bits and pieces I need to actually start the build *finally*!

I have ordered the steel for the armature frame. It will be 25x25x2.5mm square section - as per the original model.

I have made up the 60 odd guide dowels I need and have started compiling the 3D printed parts.
There are a few pieces of off the shelf styrene tube, pipe and sheeting used on the original - I now have those in hand too.

I have all the model kits used on the ship apart from two, but there is only a single piece in each of those kits - so just two pieces I dont have yet...

I am currently working on producing the patterns for the acrylic and styrene sheets so that I can have those cut.

It begins!

Capture101.jpg

I've set up a facebook page if anyone wants to follow along on that platform too:

https://www.facebook.com/Alien-Narcissus-Studio-Scale-Replica-230214174234114/

I have uploaded my collection of reference images (of the Narcissus in varying stages of construction) to my facebook page if anyone is interested.

Been taking a few weeks break with my family, but now that I am back I will be looking to push the build forward.

Not much to show as yet, but a lot of work going on in the background...

The armature is done and in hand:

Capture102.jpg

The acrylic templates have been finalised and the acrylic and styrene has been ordered.
I hope to have the acrylic cut later this week.
Once that is done, the build should progress at a fairly steady rate.
The ship uses 3mm, 4.5mm, 6mm and 8mm acrylic (with the majority being 3mm) and there are 130 individual pieces that make up the body of the ship.

More to follow...

The 3mm acrylic has now been cut and is my hands.
After looking at this ship in the digital domain for years (literally), it is so cool to see it in the physical world.
I'm really looking forward to being able to start the build.

The acrylic parts look fantastic. They are super sharp and very accurate.
I had all the parts printed 1:1 on paper and have checked each piece of acrylic over the top of the print out.
Included in the files that were cut are all of the tiny holes that were drilled over the ship (and there were many), and all the engraved panel lines too.
This means that they will all be located exactly as per the original (the benefits of having a photo matched CAD model!)

The parts made from the other thicknesses of acrylic will be cut later this week.
I have ordered a tube of Weld-On 16 in preparation for the start of the build shortly.

Apologies for the images - it's really hard to try and capture clear plastic in photos!

Capture103.jpg Capture104.jpg Capture105.jpg

All the acrylic parts are now in my hands and the build has begun!

Is it wrong that I'm having this much fun building it? lol.

Everything is just falling together so far.
Hopefully it continues...

Going to call it a night, but this is my progress after a couple of hours:

Capture107.jpg

I spent another 1/2 day on the ship today.
The armature is now built in, and the ship is very sturdy.
I will look at organising a way to mount the model via the armature to make working on it easier going forward.
The 3d printed parts have worked well in combination with the acrylic and everything is fitting together as it should...

Capture108.jpg

Capture109.jpg

I've had a couple of days downtime as I ran out of glue! lol
I have re-stocked now...

I manged to find something to hold the ship while I work on it - an old lamp stand.
It's weighted at the base and has a ~15mm dia metal upright.
I printed a small plug that goes into the armature with a hole to fit over the upright to make it more snug.
Seems to works well.
You have to use what you have available!

The ship is progressing well.
I have fitted the nose section and the 3d printed parts worked well there.
There is a hole in the base of each "nostril" in case I decide to add lighting later.
I've added the panels to the underside at the front (where all the "important" stuff is).

The styrene/hips sheets I will need later in the build have also arrived.
I wasn't able to source any locally, so had to order them in.

I have printed the last couple of pieces I need to complete the base of the ship and will continue on it tomorrow.

Capture110.jpg

Capture111.jpg

Capture112.jpg

Capture113.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back