A L I E N Narcissus *Completed*

Thanks Srspicer - much appreciated!

Thank you Andre,
It was your Falcon thread (and SteveStarkillers) that planted the seed for the idea to attempt doing this in the first place - so thank you very much!
I would have loved to have done it with photogrammetry, but with the model "gone", it was just not possible unfortunately.
This was the next logical step.

I'm currently locking down kit part ID's.
Will post more progress when I can.

Working my way around the ship, I have been modelling each of the kit part as I have needed them.
What I didn't do at the time, was give each of those parts a meaningful name *Doh!*

So, for the past week, I have been going back over all the kit parts and IDing them to give them a name that includes the kit manufacturer, scale and model name.
This will help with part maps later, if I need them.
It's really quite deceptive how much detailing is actually on this model (250 different kit parts modelled so far).

With the majority of that now done, I have managed to finish off most of the underside:

Capture24.jpg

Capture25.jpg

Thanks Joberg.
I hope so - I have put more time and effort into this than any sane man should!!

I should know about "insane":D I've built that 2001 Space Station by myself for 4 years! I hope you'll keep the up the great work and that, all in all, it'll be less years to accomplish.

lol Joberg - I guess you're right! (LOVE your build by the way).
I suppose the RPF isn't really representative of the sanity of "normal" folks anyway :D

I will definitely keep working on it.
I'm hoping to start a physical build sometime in the new year, once the digital model is done.

I love your build. I love even more the need to label each part with its provenance! Its threads like these that keep me coming back day after day. Brilliant work.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the kind words Vectorzero.

Currently still working on kit part modelling, ID's and placement on the ship.
Heres a snapshot of some of the 250 kit parts I have modelled so far:

Capture26.jpg

Will post again when I have made some more progress.

:lol

I'm going to be adding even more shortly, as I start detailing the area in front of the lower engines:

Capture28.jpg

Here is my current progress:

Capture27.jpg

It's taken quite a few hours to dial in just this single piece, as I needed to match the way it has been modified/cut - which as it turms out is just off square and also rotated (not by much, but it is defintely there).

After all that work, it's reassuring to notice that it's location is verified on another reference shot (which I hadn't even noticed that you could see it from):

Capture29.jpgCapture29a.jpg

Thanks Decky.

Yes definitely.
The engines and cowls primarily (these were hand sculpted and then cast on the original) and the non kit parts (rear side jets and wing "clamps").

I'm also toying with the idea of doing up sprues for some of the kit parts and having them printed too.
Once I have finished the model I can compile a complete list of all the parts required and decide which way to go from there...still a little way off before I get to that stage though.

Happy New Year All!
Hope you're having a great break.

I took a little time off myself, so not much progress to report.
I did manage to finish off modelling and positioning the last of the kit parts for the underside of the ship (apart from the Tyrell P34 shrouds, but I'm awaiting arrival of the kit to scan - more info on that below).

Here is a simple rendering of the ship as of today:

Capture30.jpg

I'm currently in the process of acquiring the kits needed for the ship.
As it stands, I have a list of 30 (not including any that are used on the cockpit).
Unfortunately, some of them are quite rare and hard to get.
I will be looking at around $2K for just one copy of each (and multiple copies of some kits were used).

I have a side project currently on the go which has seen me construct (cobble together) a photographic light tent/box.
The purpose of which is for me to 3D scan all of the kits (by way of photogrammetry), and create exact digital versions of the parts used (well, thats the plan anyway)
My current methodology, of using calipers is fine and works, but I want them to be exact.

More to come soon.

Hey Joberg - It sure is!
Its crazy how much is crammed into this little ship.
I really have to tip my hat to Phil Rae - he did any incredible job of the detailing on this ship - love it.

There are around 300 kit parts on the underside of the ship alone

...and here is the model overlayed over an underside reference photo for an indication of where we are currently:

Capture31.jpg

Thanks again to LeeS for some kit part ID help :thumbsup

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back